Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any free virus / malware scanner for linux vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any free virus / malware scanner for linux vps?

jvnadrjvnadr Member

Hello. Is there any free scanner / cleaner for viruses, trojan and malicious code to use to a linux VPS? A scanner that has the ability to auto detect and, if possible, clean code from php, js and other files?

Comments

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

loads

• Maldet for malware scanning, ClamAV for antivirus.

• Loads? You mean, lots? And if yes, witch?

• ClamAV, but, why do you need one?

• @Jeffrey said:
    ClamAV, but, why do you need one?

ClamAV is virus scanner, can't find malicious code in php files, at least not for me :-(
    Someone hacked a site of mine and a viewer of the site detect it thru the scanner in his pc. I manually cleaned all the exploited files and secured my site, but I could like to do that in a faster and more automated way in all files, so, I am not having to search each php, html or js file to detect malicious codes.

• @jvnadr said:
    Someone hacked a site of mine and a viewer of the site detect it thru the scanner in his pc. I manually cleaned all the exploited files and secured my site, but I could like to do that in a faster and more automated way in all files, so, I am not having to search each php, html or js file to detect malicious codes.

Don't download stupid shit, basically

• @jvnadr That is what Maldet will do.. You can even set it up to run in real time mode where it will scan uploaded files and changed files instantly.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

rootkithunter seems to check for a lot of things. Haven't had virus problems so haven't had much need. I do scan once in awhile just to check. Biggest problems I have had were due to web apps with vulnerabilities that allowed hackers to inject the c99 php script. That is not really a linux problem but a php problem.

• Maldet will detect c99 scripts also.. :)

• @awson said:
    Don't download stupid shit, basically

If things were just so simple...

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

Trying a maldet scan now on one of my OpenVZ nodes. It's taking forever because it's scanning all the VPS containers. Will probably be going all night but at least it's automated. Cannot do anything like this with any other virtualization server as far as I know.

• thought linux didn't get viruses/malware???

• chrootkit is a piece of software for linux that will scan your server daily for known exploits and suspicious php files and email the results to you