Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

House of Torment (HostGator)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

House of Torment (HostGator)

BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

I figured we all needed a good laugh today.

Thanked by 2Aidan FlamesRunner

Comments

• But they can't hear us laughing because they're too busy counting all that cash from selling $30-as-a-75%-off-limited-discount-openvz-vpses :(

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

@paco said:
    But they can't hear us laughing because they're too busy counting all that cash from selling $30-as-a-75%-off-limited-discount-openvz-vpses :(

Thats funny. Just went to the site for the first time in years. Guess I need to raise my openvz pricing by 75% LOL

• WSSWSS Member

If HostGator does VPS half as well as their shared hosting, well, I hope there isn't even an implied SLA.

• Worse much much worse.

• iPage is most likely worse.

• They have been in business for a long time so they must be doing something right.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    They have been in business for a long time so they must be doing something right.

Yeah, the owners sold them to a bigger company.

• @paco said:
    But they can't hear us laughing because they're too busy counting all that cash from selling $30-as-a-75%-off-limited-discount-openvz-vpses :(

I don't see anywhere that they are openvz, how do you know? Not that I doubt it.

Wasthe 2gb vps 120 a month before their 75% off ? I just can't believe it.

• 89.99 for 2gb 2 core.... hmmmmm seems legit, and 159.95 for the 8gb 4 core.

• @vovler said:
    89.99 for 2gb 2 core.... hmmmmm seems legit, and 159.95 for the 8gb 4 core.

You pay for the brand..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@paco said:

After buying every employee health insurance and providing highly managed support for cheap shared hosting, I'm not positive there was a lot of cash left when I was there. This industry as a whole just doesn't support that kind of model anymore, at least at scale.

• jarland said: cheap shared hosting

hostgator cheap? hmm

edited October 2017

@BecomeWebHost said:

jarland said: cheap shared hosting

hostgator cheap? hmm

Their promos are insanity. At least they were when I was there. Pennies for your first year, etc.

Thanked by 1BecomeWebHost
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

I remember when Hostgator was Freakwebhosting (anyone remember that?). I bough the domain for $500 at the time. What a waste of money.

Brent did well for himself. Just had to sacrifice a few years of his youth. Definitely worth it if you can make $200M out of it.

• BecomeWebHostBecomeWebHost Member
    edited October 2017

@jarland said:

@BecomeWebHost said:

jarland said: cheap shared hosting

hostgator cheap? hmm

Their promos are insanity. At least they were when I was there. Pennies for your first year, etc.

Thank you for info. I never heard of those plans... cheapest I have come to know is 1 cent/month (for first month and then ..... :p ).

btw, Nothing against them I am sure they are investing a lot into marketing hence not keeping all $$$... doing business right way.

• jarland said: Pennies for your first year, etc.

Definitely aiming for the newbies to the market and captive customers. I've took a few of their deals, but indeed the 2nd year price is steep and more than makes up for year 1.

• Don't you love EIG?

• WSSWSS Member

Someone had to take over when Yahoo closed Geocities.