Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Free Virus Scanner - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Free Virus Scanner

2»

Comments

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited August 2013

@Spirit said:
    How do you plan to deal with security issues once MS drop support with XP. Or do you think that there won't be new vulnerabilities discovered in future? Not to mention application lever vulnerabilities.
    It won't be just XP support dropped but also most XP applications support as much as they aren't already. Do you use flash? Or any other third party application? Vendors don't invest their time and money to patch products for EOL operating systems. Every new vulnerability will be 0day for you all the time.

edit
    Forget about my question. I see that you already use some home baked fork of windowsXP which wasn't updated since 2011 or so. Good luck with that!

I have no intention of ever paying for another OS again! I already have 4-6 licences for XP. I already have all the software that I will need and it ALL works with XP. I'm not bothered about lack of XP support or lack of new applications or vulnerabilities because I have nothing critical on my computer. I have Windows 7 CD also, and will use that if things get really tough.

I'm not using any virus scanner, or firewall and things run fine. Haven't had any viruses for a while, probably because I don't use a scanner, so ignorance is bliss. Nothing critical on the computers anyway. If it gets infected, I just use Acronis and have a nice, clean, lean operating system after 5 mins! :-)

• Haven't had any viruses for a while, probably because I don't use a scanner, so ignorance is bliss. Nothing critical on the computers anyway.

You don't host anything critical on your computer but what about your coexistence with the rest of us on the internet?
    DDoS drone bots, spam bots... and all other malware crap distributing around internet because so many people don't host anything critical on their machines. You're wet dream for russian ddos drone bot operators :)

• @Spirit said:

I'll take my chances, don't want to install too much crap to bloat my PC. My Windows firewall is off too. And I don't even do restore points. I like living on the edge.

• When using Windows, I prefer Immunet (ClamAV-based) + Spybot Search&Destroy as primary line of defense.

When one-time deep scanning is required, DrWeb CureIt! does the task nicely.

• People who continue to use XP are like people who continue to use old clunker cars that get almost 1 MPG and should really go away. You'll end up needing to replace your old stuff sooner or later. So just do it! Get a better experience with the computer.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited August 2013

@Magiobiwan said:
    People who continue to use XP are like people who continue to use old clunker cars that get almost 1 MPG and should really go away. You'll end up needing to replace your old stuff sooner or later. So just do it! Get a better experience with the computer.

Maybe we should all buy 5GB VPS plans too whilst we are at it.

Don't need a new one, so no point and the longer I wait, the more computer I will get for the same amount of money. Secondly, it takes about the same energy as a household consumes in 2 weeks to produce 1 computer. What a waste of resources that is, when even old computers can be put to use. All that copper, gold, and other metals have to be mined, think of all the pollution that is caused, people working in sweatshops so we can have a bang up to date PC. I think I'll wait until I need one, saving money and saving the planets resources.