Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Android TV box : What to back up?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Android TV box : What to back up?

I have a Nexbox a95x with 1GB RAM and 8GB storage and a S905X processor running android 6.

I like to use this on android rather than libreelec as I like to use some android apps, but as android doesn't close down applications they always sit in the background taking up memory and slowing down the box. I know it's possible to close down apps manually but I don't want to be manually doing it all the time.

I have 2 options:-

1) I could flash with Xannytech ROM, but if do that I want to back up either everything or at least the WiFi drivers and remote config as the new ROM many not contain these. How do I do this. Where will I find the remote config file and the WiFi drivers file?

2) Make the installed android lean. What can I delete and what services/apps should I uninstall/force close/disable?

Thanks

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

Unless you can source a stock firmware image, you're playing with fire. Undoing a broken Android is worse than most Linux based consumer-grade routers.

I'd recommend starting in this thread, and see about sideloading any number of root tools, like Kingo- but be aware that Kingo likes to drop crapware of it's own (Purity). Once you gain root, you can install your choice of sudo frong ends (Magisk), and uninstall, or at least disable virtually anything you like.

There's a good chance it uses standardized locations and data for your network- which may be in the NVRAM. You'll need to research more about the device to see where this information is stored.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited October 2017

@asterisk14 Can’t you disable background apps in the “Developer Options” section?

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • @WSS said:
    Unless you can source a stock firmware image, you're playing with fire. Undoing a broken Android is worse than most Linux based consumer-grade routers.

I'd recommend starting in this thread, and see about sideloading any number of root tools, like Kingo- but be aware that Kingo likes to drop crapware of it's own (Purity). Once you gain root, you can install your choice of sudo frong ends (Magisk), and uninstall, or at least disable virtually anything you like.

There's a good chance it uses standardized locations and data for your network- which may be in the NVRAM. You'll need to research more about the device to see where this information is stored.

It's already rooted. I can get the stock firmware if anything goes wrong. It's running stuff like camera.. why would an android box be running a camera app? I know some people will attach a camera but for most people this will not be something they need. There's probably lots of other background processes/apps running that slow this thing down but I'm a windows guys and don't know much about how the android systems works.

@doghouch said:
    @asterisk14 Can’t you disable background apps in the “Developer Options” section?

I'll look into this.

• You can also make Android not keep activities (close apps as soon as you leave them):

It's also in the developer menu.