Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High load. Higher cpu vs higher RAM. EasyEngine, Centminmod... or?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

High load. Higher cpu vs higher RAM. EasyEngine, Centminmod... or?

teochristianteochristian Member
edited October 2017 in Help

Hello!

I have a client owning a website with over 1 million hits per day. The website is created using php and mysql. The php scripts are running and are loaded almost instantly. My client has a low budget. So I found some cheap vps providers, one with high cpu 7 cores 4 GB RAM, one with high RAM 4 cores 12 GB RAM. What are the solutions? In read about easyengine and centminmod. In don't know what to use (easyengine or centminmod or other even manually config for really high traffic) and what kind of vps is recommended (higher RAM vs higher cpu). Thanks very much.

Comments

• CentminMod all the way :)

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • @Ympker said:
    CentminMod all the way :)

Thanks but what vps? High RAM or high cpu? and what configuration of centminmod do you recommend me? Thank you!

• WSSWSS Member

Unless the site is 100% dynamic, I'd strongly suggest investigating the implementation of a caching service to lower the overhead since you intend to have the DB/webservice to be the same machine.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • vovlervovler Member
    edited October 2017

I guess it depends on the application that php is running. Also those 7 cores may be slower than the other 4 cores. :)

Edit____

So he is getting 30million hits per month, but can't afford a decent server?

• @vovler said:
    I guess it depends on the application that php is running. Also those 7 cores may be slower than the other 4 cores. :)

Edit____

Depends if hits include static files :-) if it does, I have multiple shared hosting customers doing that - without them generating much revenue

• @Zerpy said:

Depends if hits include static files :-) if it does, I have multiple shared hosting customers doing that - without them generating much revenue

Then his client should optimize the code.

• Also they are for different distros and I'm not sure if you should choose a distro solely for the purpose of picking a way to roll out a LEMP stack.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited October 2017

@teochristian said:
    Hello!

I have a client owning a website with over 1 million hits per day. The website is created using php and mysql. The php scripts are running and are loaded almost instantly. My client has a low budget. So I found some cheap vps providers, one with high cpu 7 cores 4 GB RAM, one with high RAM 4 cores 12 GB RAM. What are the solutions? In read about easyengine and centminmod. In don't know what to use (easyengine or centminmod or other even manually config for really high traffic) and what kind of vps is recommended (higher RAM vs higher cpu). Thanks very much.

Advice is try both easyengine and centminmod for yourself and then decide. If you use latest centminmod 123.09beta01, I am 99% sure it will be faster and scale better out of the box than most LEMP stacks including easyengine :) But don't take my word for it, try both and see for yourself.

I'm working on a centminmod intro/install info slide deck that might distill some of the documentation for centmimod to help you get started see

But yes different distros, easyengine is Ubuntu/Debian and centminmod is CentOS 6 or CentOS 7 (recommended)

Edit: VPS wise get KVM instead of OpenVZ for better performance and scalability.

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • WSSWSS Member

It's quite trivial to get a LAMP stack setup using the default Debian design (which hasn't changed in at least a decade), and you have no overhead or requirements for any third party modules or libraries you might not need (like php-mcrypt, et al). I've heard nothing but good things about Centmin, but I just can't stand CentOS any longer than I have to.

• @eva2000 said:

@teochristian said:
    Hello!

Advice is try both easyengine and centminmod for yourself and then decide. If you use latest centminmod 123.09beta01, I am 99% sure it will be faster and scale better out of the box than most LEMP stacks including easyengine :) But don't take my word for it, try both and see for yourself.

I'm working on a centminmod intro/install info slide deck that might distill some of the documentation for centmimod to help you get started see

But yes different distros, easyengine is Ubuntu/Debian and centminmod is CentOS 6 or CentOS 7 (recommended)

Edit: VPS wise get KVM instead of OpenVZ for better performance and scalability.

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will try both centminmod and easy engine and I will post here the results of the test. I think I will try the vps with higher RAM because the website is not cpu intensive. Thank you again!

• @Zerpy said:

@vovler said:

Edit____

Thank you for your comment. It does not include static files. And unfortunately the website is entirely dynamic.

• just use centmin..easyengine is abandoned project...

• By the way. What is your budget, maybe we can recommend you a decent VPS/dedi provider that matches your request

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited October 2017

@teochristian said:

@Zerpy said:

@vovler said:

Edit____

Thank you for your comment. It does not include static files. And unfortunately the website is entirely dynamic.

If it's dynamic = php then Centmin Mod 123.09beta01's PHP-FPM will be faster than any LEMP stack's out of box PHP-FPM implementation especially if you're using PHP 7.x and enable Centmin Mod's Profile Guide Optimisation boost for PHP 7 (disabled by default) see benchmarks of with/without PGO boost at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/php-7-2-0-rc3-released.12959/#post-55085

PGO details https://community.centminmod.com/threads/added-profile-guided-optimizations-to-boost-php-7-performance.8961/

PGO lets you train the compiler to produce a more optimized result. It does this by first compiling the code with instrumentation, then run the instrumented code which creates a profile. The final step is to recompile the program, using the profile to fine-tune the optimizations.

I am a speed and performance addict, so that's how I build and develop Centmin Mod ^_^. More to come in the future https://community.centminmod.com/threads/testing-gcc-7-1-clang-4-0-1-scl-yum-packages.12815/

Thanked by 1teochristian