Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Request] Dedicated server in Singapore
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Request] Dedicated server in Singapore

Hi everyone, I would like to know are there any dedicated server in Singapore at price range <$40 usd
Thanks in advance

Comments

• No not for this price possible.

• WSSWSS Member

Yes.. but you need to steal them yourself.

Thanked by 3RIYAD Aidan Janevski
  • Sure, if you want some guy who's running them off his homelab at home https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2025780/#Comment_2025780

/s

• Hi, I can offer you
    1x Celeron
    1 GB RAM
    100 GB HDD
    1 Mbps Bandwidth

Thank

• @tneilvn said:
    Hi everyone, I would like to know are there any dedicated server in Singapore at price range <$40 usd
    Thanks in advance

Rate is too low

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

PheonixNAP had a deal where if you bought a dedicated in Singapore, you'd also get a free one in any of the other datacenters they have.

• @HooLan said:

did you read OP? budget < $40

• HooLanHooLan Member
    edited October 2017

@sibaper said:

@HooLan said:

did you read OP? budget < $40

I am sorry

• edited October 2017

@CConner said:
    PheonixNAP had a deal where if you bought a dedicated in Singapore, you'd also get a free one in any of the other datacenters they have.

I think there was some catch with that deal. Like maybe needing to commit for 12months otherwise you pay full rate for both. Not sure but I think there was something.

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep

@tneilvn if you could raise your budget a litte bit to US$ 49, it could be possible. From neighborhood country, Indonesia. The peers and upstreams are all the same, except that we are latency lack around 13 - 16 ms behind.

• @LosPollosHermanos said:

@CConner said:

I think there was some catch with that deal. Like maybe needing to commit for 12months otherwise you pay full rate for both. Not sure but I think there was something.

You can also pay monthly, I am currently using that promo.

• @winnervps said:
    @tneilvn if you could raise your budget a litte bit to US$ 49, it could be possible. From neighborhood country, Indonesia. The peers and upstreams are all the same, except that we are latency lack around 13 - 16 ms behind.

Where is it?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

@tneilvn said:
    Thanks in advance

Generally speaking, server rental is expensive in Asia. Nothing is cheap in SG. But $40 is still potentially profitable for the host (barely) if your server is old and you don't need much power, bandwidth or IPs.

I'm not going to make an offer, but I imagine SG's situation is similar to HK in terms of cost and connectivity, and so I think I can guess what is viable.

Assume an oldish server (maybe early gen i3) is available and the host can essentially view it as having $0 cost.

Then assume power costs of around US$0.15 per kwh and you need to double the power usage to account for cooling. An old i3 with an efficient PSU will use about 60watts at idle, and so 120watts after you include cooling. So it will need about 86kwh per month, which cost about US$13.

Rack space probably in the vicinity of $500+ for a 42U rack and assume 35 servers per rack = about $15 in rack space.

$13 + $15 = $28.

Assume you pay with Paypal or credit card, and there is about a 4% fee to pay. $40 * 4% = $1.6

$28 + $1.6 = $29.60

Assume 1 IP = $1 and that brings you to $30.60.

So how much bandwidth do you need? Assuming the provider has cheap bandwidth available (HE.net any one?) then you can get 1Mbit for probably around $5.

Bingo bango, and it's possible to get a server for like $40 /month and you can expect something like an i3-2100, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD and 300GB data transfer, and the host can still make a 'profit' of around $4 /month (10%!!!).

Better if you can up the budget to $49. Makes a huge difference the host's bottom line, and would still be super super cheap by Asian standards.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

I am not sure if you can consider an old i3 as "free" - what about staff / remote hands to install the OS of choice?

• @randvegeta said:

@tneilvn said:
    Thanks in advance

Generally speaking, server rental is expensive in Asia. Nothing is cheap in SG. But $40 is still potentially profitable for the host (barely) if your server is old and you don't need much power, bandwidth or IPs.

I'm not going to make an offer, but I imagine SG's situation is similar to HK in terms of cost and connectivity, and so I think I can guess what is viable.

Assume an oldish server (maybe early gen i3) is available and the host can essentially view it as having $0 cost.

Then assume power costs of around US$0.15 per kwh and you need to double the power usage to account for cooling. An old i3 with an efficient PSU will use about 60watts at idle, and so 120watts after you include cooling. So it will need about 86kwh per month, which cost about US$13.

Rack space probably in the vicinity of $500+ for a 42U rack and assume 35 servers per rack = about $15 in rack space.

$13 + $15 = $28.

Assume you pay with Paypal or credit card, and there is about a 4% fee to pay. $40 * 4% = $1.6

$28 + $1.6 = $29.60

So how much bandwidth do you need? Assuming the provider has cheap bandwidth available (HE.net any one?) then you can get 1Mbit for probably around $5.

Bingo bango, and it's possible to get a server for like $40 /month and you can expect something like an i3-2100, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD and 300GB data transfer, and the host can still make a 'profit' of around $4 /month (10%!!!).

Better if you can up the budget to $49. Makes a huge difference the host's bottom line, and would still be super super cheap by Asian standards.

LOL for this margin any one goes out of the bed at the morning? And you forgot any stuff payments, insurance etc. Any one with a brain would avoid this business.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Nuntius said: LOL for this margin any one goes out of the bed at the morning? And you forgot any stuff payments, insurance etc. Any one with a brain would avoid this business.

I got a laugh out of those calculations as well. I guess some people only need motivation to get out of bed during the summer holidays.

Thanked by 1Nuntius
  • I have laptop connected to home internet with static ip, do you want?

@Nuntius said:

@randvegeta said:

@tneilvn said:
    Thanks in advance

$13 + $15 = $28.

$28 + $1.6 = $29.60

LOL for this margin any one goes out of the bed at the morning? And you forgot any stuff payments, insurance etc. Any one with a brain would avoid this business.

I'm just saying it is technically possible. Not desirable. In reality, when you consider business overheads, you cannot realistically operate like this. But if you have ALOT of spare capacity, it's not always a bad thing to sell at low cost with small or even negative margins.

Most companies have a lot of unused resources and selling it helps with their bottom line. At least on a temporary and small scale basis.

@Oliver said:

Nuntius said: LOL for this margin any one goes out of the bed at the morning? And you forgot any stuff payments, insurance etc. Any one with a brain would avoid this business.

I got a laugh out of those calculations as well. I guess some people only need motivation to get out of bed during the summer holidays.

Do you think my calculations are unreasonable?

randvegeta said: Do you think my calculations are unreasonable?

Not really that they are unreasonable, more that you would bother to break it down to that level despite acknowledging yourself that operating in that way is 'not desirable'.

You could just as well say a business can sell 100 racks full of servers in Singapore at a loss because they have 100 racks full of servers in Dallas with a profit. Technically possible, but also not desirable.

@Oliver said:

randvegeta said: Do you think my calculations are unreasonable?

Not really that they are unreasonable, more that you would bother to break it down to that level despite acknowledging yourself that operating in that way is 'not desirable'.

You could just as well say a business can sell 100 racks full of servers in Singapore at a loss because they have 100 racks full of servers in Dallas with a profit. Technically possible, but also not desirable.

ERM.. no because why would you sell at a loss in 1 location? My point was the cost of running in SG is going to be too high for anyone to care about that kind of business, even if it were technically profitable. We could do the same in HK, but if we had a full DC of cheapo servers, the profit would be too small to even care about. Sell 1000 machines at $40 and at best you make $4,000 in 'profit' which actually just covers the cost of 1 tech...

• edited October 2017

SG has gotten a lot cheaper because several big companies have opened up shop there. I looked at it a few years ago and it was a non-starter. Now, no problem and about the same price as I pay for US servers. Obviously bandwidth is still more expensive and connections not as good because everything is on submarine cables. The big companies are absorbing a lot of the cost because they can afford to. Connections are getting better with more and more submarine cables lighting up.

• LosPollosHermanos said: submarine cables

Submarine cables are usually not the cause of the problem, but peering into local ISPs is. And I still have quotes from ISP giving numbers like S$100/mbps.

• Singapore Dual L5630
    24G DDR3 ECC memroy
    2 x 1TB SATA3 HDD
    10Mbps unlimited
    5 IPv4
    $69 Monthly(Only stock 6)

Actually the bandwidth cost depends on the quantity you buy from upstreams,

try this, bgp.to.

not aff, just a recommandation.

randvegeta said: ERM.. no because why would you sell at a loss in 1 location?

Yes exactly, I think you misinterpreted my post. Read it again and you will see we are in agreement. :-)

LosPollosHermanos said: Now, no problem and about the same price as I pay for US servers. Obviously bandwidth is still more expensive and connections not as good

As with HK, the I believe one of the biggest driving factors in the price reduction has been the fact that there are now cheap bandwidth options.

It wasn't too long ago that bandwidth in SG and HK would cost in the region of US$100 /mbit per month. I remember back in 2007/2008, I had a 50Mbit line that was costing me over US$4,000 /month.

Now, you can buy bandwidth from HE.net, Cogent and Telstra for as little as US$5,000 for a full 1G. Of course it's hard to compare this 'cheap' stuff with the premium bandwidth most people pay for.

All the very cheap bandwidth has poor Asian routing at the moment. Great for inter-connectivity between JP, TW, HK and SG, but outside of these countries, and it routes via USA most of the time.

If you need decent Asian routing, then you need to expect 3-5x the price. Still better than 10 years ago, but still expensive by EU / US standards.

Thanked by 1eLohkCalb
  • winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

@akhfa said:

@winnervps said:

Where is it?

jakarta (Indonesia).

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/126167/asia-jakarta-core-i5-qc-4-gb-250gb-hdd-vt-ready-49