Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plesk Pricing doubled! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plesk Pricing doubled!

2»

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@v3ng said:
    Hopefully the open source alternatives are getting now more attention.

Not high increase enough.

Plesk is still cheaper than cPanel, still works, provides support, adds new features, and is reasonably expected to be there next year.

• @v3ng said:
    Hopefully the open source alternatives are getting now more attention.

Some are decent but imo free panels lack the polish and and smooth user experience as cPanel and plesk provide.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

solusvm 2 will be launched as soon as cc adds ipv6

• jhjh Member

I felt a bit giddy inside when I read this. I used to work at a company that relies very heavily on Plesk and I fell out with them.

Seriously though Plesk's new-ish single user licences are a good niche but faced with a choice between Plesk and cPanel, for a Linux hosting company, cPanel seems like a no brainer to me.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Do you see anything relevant that cPanel does better than Plesk?

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@Amitz said:
    Do you see anything relevant that cPanel does better than Plesk?

Not breaking and falling apart. We use Plesk only on Windows, so can not really compare. However, we have had to directly edit Plesk database multiple times to fix issues. CPanel doesn't really use a database, but we have almost never had to edit files directly.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • jhjh Member

Amitz said: Do you see anything relevant that cPanel does better than Plesk?

Ahem...

DNS clustering, backwards compatibility, support for new PHP versions, the API (though tbf cPanel's API is a long way from perfect), level of control over backups, level of control over the firewall without manually running iptables commands, the language isn't patronising (calling cron jobs scheduled tasks?!), the panel is much faster since paper lantern, spam filtering doesn't needn't cost extra, wider choice of plugins in general, tighter integration with CSF, tighter integration with CloudLinux, tighter integration with R1soft, much more control over PHP and Apache extensions/versions since EA4, very transparent responsible disclosure process, more logical reseller functonality, Let's Encrypt integration (not sure if this was recently released in Plesk)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • When did you use Plesk for the last time? This is not the Plesk that I am using.

• jhjh Member

Amitz said: When did you use Plesk for the last time? This is not the Plesk that I am using.

About a year ago. Has it improved substantially since then?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2017

At least a bit, as it seems. Some of the points that your are mentioning are covered in the meantime. But some are clearly not. These are probably those that I do not need and therefore do not miss... So I guess I exaggerated a bit when I said " "This is not the Plesk that I am using.".

• jhjh Member

To be fair to them Plesk does seem to be moving in the right direction but I can't understand, faced with the choice of Plesk or cPanel, how anyone could choose Plesk unless they need to save the $10ish on the single user licence. The company I mentioned said that they thought their non-technical users would be less confused by it but I didn't really see any evidence to that effect.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited October 2017

This really is a shame. As far as admin panels go- I liked Plesk.

@Amitz said:
    Do you see anything relevant that cPanel does better than Plesk?

Cause chronic alcoholism.

Thanked by 2Amitz hackerman
  • Of course that was a necro of 2017 post and you can still get a free 3 domain plesk account at multiple providers

• WTF Necro this post! Took me a few posts to realise. Eeejit!

• LeeLee Veteran

Tit, I thought this was real news...