Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to backup a whole vps to a local windows machine?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best way to backup a whole vps to a local windows machine?

I am done with vps's suddenly going down and having to re-program everything. Is there a way to backup a whole vps including crons, settings, packages etc?
I would like to have that then stored on a windows machine i have and use locally.

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

You can make a dd image of your virtual drive to.. a secondary location. You can easily network pipe over an ssh or netcat. For obvious reasons, netcat would be a bad idea.

Here is an example.

1. that's not consistent backup
    2. you can not restore it the same way

I personally back up just files I edited and write script-file with every step I have done since 1st login (i.e. updating/upgrading, modifying services, removing packages, editing config-files, etc). That way I can prepare new VPS quickly, and then modify only things unique for that VPS...

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Well, locally to the windows machine from a vps dd is a bad idea. However, if you create a vps on your windows machine, using the same hypervisor of the vps it self, then you can dd it back and forth. Could face small glitches, but those can be fixed on the fly.

• @borgqueenx said:
    I am done with vps's suddenly going down and having to re-program everything. Is there a way to backup a whole vps including crons, settings, packages etc?
    I would like to have that then stored on a windows machine i have and use locally.

But just 4 days ago you gave a glamorous review to buyvm.net. You even mentioned that their "Service never been down". Those were your words from the OP here.

So why are you using vps's that suddenly go down if you already found buyvm.net service to never go down?

• The "VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client" should do it. It can convert any machine to a vm in your computer.