Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cannot resolve DNS with nyr openvpn script
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cannot resolve DNS with nyr openvpn script

Hi all, I need help with nyr openvpn script

https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install

I have 2 cases here:

First: 
firewall: iptables
IP: my-vps-public-ip
protocol: UDP
port: 1194
DNS: google

The problem with this configuration is I can ping IP, but cannot ping domain, so this configuration cannot resolve DNS. This is iptables result

# iptables -nL
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         
ACCEPT     udp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            udp dpt:1194
ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     icmp --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           
ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           
ACCEPT     tcp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state NEW tcp dpt:22
REJECT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  10.8.0.0/24          0.0.0.0/0           
REJECT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

# iptables -t nat -nL
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
SNAT       all  --  10.8.0.0/24         !10.8.0.0/24          to:server-public-ip
Second: I get info from https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install/issues/357
firewall: iptables
IP: my-vps-**private**-ip
protocol: UDP
port: 1194
DNS: google
external IP: my-vps-public-ip

With this configuration, I cannot ping IP and domain.

I don't know what's wrong here. Selinux was already disabled. I Install this script on empty vps. I remember that I can easily setup vpn with this script long time ago, but now it just not working. Trying with ubuntu and default configuration, still no luck :(

I use manjaro with command sudo openvpn --config client.ovpn. I also ask my friend that use windows to verify if the vpn working, but the DNS problem still appear.

Any recommendation I can try? :(

Comments

• AlexJonesAlexJones Member
    edited September 2017

Check to make sure that if you are forcing your dns thru windows etc you disable the part in the openvpn config that blocks outside dns. Also make sure ip forwarding is enabled and you are using iptables to Nat too.
    Also you don't need to enable selinux

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • akhfaakhfa Member
    edited September 2017

@AlexJones said:
    Check to make sure that if you are forcing your dns thru windows etc you disable the part in the openvpn config that blocks outside dns.

Any suggestion how can I check about this? When I install openvpn, manually or using script, usually I stuck in DNS like now and I don't know whats wrong here because to be honest I'm not familiar with detailed openvpn configuration

Also make sure ip forwarding is enabled and you are using iptables to Nat too

Yes the script already enable ipv4.forward in sysctl. I'm not sure about NAT config in iptables that the script made, but I think there is no problem for this

• Openvz or kvm? And do you test with tcp mode maybe your provider blocked udp

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited September 2017

After the network is up, what happens if you try to trace to 8.8.8.8?

• akhfaakhfa Member
    edited September 2017

@robohost said:
    Openvz or kvm? And do you test with tcp mode maybe your provider blocked udp

I try this on digital ocean and vultr with similar results. I think there is no UDP block here. Sometimes ago I also tried to use custom tcp port with no luck

@WSS said:
    After the network is up, what happens if you try to trace to 8.8.8.8?

I can ping 8.8.8.8. When I try to trace path, the hop is more than ~30 hops so it was stopped. But I can ensure that there is vpn ip and vps gateway ip in the trace output.

Any of you run this script in DO or vultr, and there is no DNS issue and you can browse websites?

• I have not tried it with either DO, or Vultr. The fact that you can send/receive ICMP tells me it seems to be up. What's your /etc/resolv.conf look like?

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2017

You may try the fork: https://github.com/Angristan/OpenVPN-install

This Fork uses the official OpenVPN packages instead of the Debian repo, these are newer and could solve your issue.

Also I recommend this Fork, because of the improved security settings.

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • AlexJonesAlexJones Member
    edited September 2017

Try removing the setenv opt block-outside-dns in the openvpn client side config files.
    Try the following nat rules before your firewall

/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -s 10.8.0.0/24 -j ACCEPT

/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -j DROP

/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.8.0.0/24 -j SNAT --to ####IPHERE

• akhfaakhfa Member
    edited September 2017

@WSS said:
    I have not tried it with either DO, or Vultr. The fact that you can send/receive ICMP tells me it seems to be up. What's your /etc/resolv.conf look like?

In my client, it just 2 nameserver record set by my dhcp server
    In the vps, I don't know whose IP is this. I don't edit this manually

; generated by /usr/sbin/dhclient-script
    nameserver 108.61.10.10

@Neoon said:
    You may try the fork: https://github.com/Angristan/OpenVPN-install

This Fork uses the official OpenVPN packages instead of the Debian repo, these are newer and could solve your issue.

Also I recommend this Fork, because of the improved security settings.

Thank you for the suggestion. Can you use the vpn to browse directly after running this script? Can I know your server specification like OS and the server provider?

As long as I remember I also tried this script after I failed using nyr, but the result was similiar. Maybe will try again tomorrow

• It looks like it's using your dhcp client to set the DNS. If you set it to 8.8.8.8, it'll probably work perfectly fine. A lot of providers don't like their DNS being used externally.

• @akhfa both the scripts are essentially the same. The problem is with your setup

• akhfaakhfa Member
    edited September 2017

@AlexJones said:
    Try removing the setenv opt block-outside-dns in the openvpn client side config files.

Recently doing this and tried, still same as before

Try the following nat rules before your firewall

/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -s 10.8.0.0/24 -j ACCEPT

These rule is already in my iptables

/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -j DROP

I delete this rule to make sure there are no blocking "forward rule", of course after I failed to resolve DNS

/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.8.0.0/24 -j SNAT --to ####IPHERE

what is the different of rule above with created rule below?

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.8.0.0/24 ! -d 10.8.0.0/24 -j SNAT --to-source ####IPHERE

• @WSS said:
    It looks like it's using your dhcp client to set the DNS. If you set it to 8.8.8.8, it'll probably work perfectly fine. A lot of providers don't like their DNS being used externally.

Tried this without reboot, the DNS still not resolved. I think my client will use VPS's DNS resolver if I choose it when I install the vpn server. In my case, I choose google DNS (option 2), so I think the DNS request will be forwarded to google dns, isn't it?

• akhfaakhfa Member
    edited September 2017

This is ovpn option I used now, created by nyr's script, except I delete block-outside-dns

client
    dev tun
    proto udp
    sndbuf 0
    rcvbuf 0
    remote 45.32.x.x 1194
    resolv-retry infinite
    nobind
    persist-key
    persist-tun
    remote-cert-tls server
    auth SHA512
    cipher AES-256-CBC
    comp-lzo
    key-direction 1
    verb 3

• @AlexJones said:
    @akhfa both the scripts are essentially the same. The problem is with your setup

Yes I know that they are basically same, so the result was also same. But I don't know whats wrong with the setup :(

• That depends on how the script is written out. I don't see it altering your local resolv.conf, which would be used if you aren't tunneling all DNS requests. Without examining your server-side script, I can't be 100% sure, but in /etc/openvpn/configfile, it should look like this:

push "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8"
    push "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.4.4"

• @WSS said:
    That depends on how the script is written out. I don't see it altering your local resolv.conf, which would be used if you aren't tunneling all DNS requests. Without examining your server-side script, I can't be 100% sure, but in /etc/openvpn/configfile, it should look like this:

Confirmed

# cat /etc/openvpn/server.conf 
    port 1194
    proto udp
    dev tun
    sndbuf 0
    rcvbuf 0
    ca ca.crt
    cert server.crt
    key server.key
    dh dh.pem
    auth SHA512
    tls-auth ta.key 0
    topology subnet
    server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0
    ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt
    push "redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dhcp"
    keepalive 10 120
    cipher AES-256-CBC
    comp-lzo
    user nobody
    group nobody
    persist-key
    persist-tun
    status openvpn-status.log
    verb 3
    crl-verify crl.pem

Don't you use nyr script to setup your vpn? Maybe is there any tutorial I can follow, even if the installation was done manually?

• I haven't used Nyr's script. I handrolled it because my crappy router only had 2.3.x available at the time and I didn't have enough space to cross-compile. Your connection looks correct, but I wonder if your local client is ignoring the DNS proxy-through.

That is strange that traceroute works, pinging is fine, but DNS isn't working. What happens if you telnet to 8.8.8.8 port 53? Should get an open connection.

• In my case, both scripts (Angristan & Nyr) can't push the DNS config into clients, I have to manually add it.

Have you try to using the previous OpenVPN client? 2.3 or 2.2 maybe

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • emperoremperor Member
    edited September 2017

@akhfa

I had this case also with some servers, mostly on old openvpn version, however in linux i resolved it with update-resolv-conf.. 1st check if you have it in manjaro in openvpn folder /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf, if you have it, add these lines at bottom in your client.

script-security 2
    up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
    down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

If you dont have the script you can find it easy in google.

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • edited October 2017

Here's an unsolicited bump and somewhat off topic (related to OVPN but not directly to DNS issues). To allow openvpn clients to still access their local networks (i.e. 192.168.0.0/24), can I simply add push "route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1" to the server config?

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Did you reboot after disabling selinux? I've done that in the past and was puzzled for hours. Can explain some of the weirdness goings on.

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • Thanks all for the reply. Still not succeed since my latest try. Will try your suggestions again tonight. I will update this thread again.

• akhfaakhfa Member
    edited October 2017

Hi all, sorry for long waiting

I tried this again

@WSS said:
    That is strange that traceroute works, pinging is fine, but DNS isn't working. What happens if you telnet to 8.8.8.8 port 53? Should get an open connection.

Yes I can telnet 8.8.8.8 53

@Coffee said:
    In my case, both scripts (Angristan & Nyr) can't push the DNS config into clients, I have to manually add it.

Have you try to using the previous OpenVPN client? 2.3 or 2.2 maybe

I use OpenVPN 2.4.4 from arch package. I don't tried prev version yet

@oneilonline said:
    Did you reboot after disabling selinux? I've done that in the past and was puzzled for hours. Can explain some of the weirdness goings on.

When I install vultr centos 7 and run getenforce, it said disabled. I also tried in ubuntu with no result.

@emperor said:
    @akhfa

I had this case also with some servers, mostly on old openvpn version, however in linux i resolved it with update-resolv-conf.. 1st check if you have it in manjaro in openvpn folder /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf, if you have it, add these lines at bottom in your client.

script-security 2
    up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
    down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

If you dont have the script you can find it easy in google.

I followed arch tutorial here and finally it works :D

What I did for manjaro OS:

• Install fresh centos 7 in vultr

• Run the script with nearly all default value

• Install update resolv conf script and follow tutorial here, don't forget to add the 3 line in client config. For another linux based OS, I think you can search the script in internet just like what @emperor said

• Run openvpn with sudo openvpn --config client.ovpn

Tested in windows and iphone with openvpn client too.

Thank you all for your help. Really appreciate :D

The one I don't understand is it works even the iptables is disabled. I think NAT network can't work without masquerade in iptables, but it just work. Maybe some of you know or can point me reference about this :-/

Thanked by 1ThracianDog
  • Congrats and thanks for sharing your solution. It'll definitely help others who are in the same boat.