Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Please - Hetzner dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help Please - Hetzner dedicated server

Hi,

I'm after some suggestions for the best solution to using my Hetzner dedicated server.

Spec as follows:
Intel Core i7-3770
HDD2x HDD 3,0 TB SATA
RAM4x RAM 8192 MB DDR3

My son and i want to share the server, he wants to run dedicated games servers (1 or 2 steam games mostly) and I would like to run a plex server & seedbox.

We currently have proxmox set up with 2 VM's running Ubuntu 16.04 with an extra IP for each.
In this setup, the game server seems to work well but the seedbox freezes and stops responding whenever a torrent is added.

Is there a better way to achieve what we need? We are both very new to using Linux and frequently have to reinstall what we are doing whilst we are learning.

any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• my opniino would be to give each of you a dedicated drive instead of SW R1 or something. you do heaps of random i/o.

Thanked by 1mgbusta
  • Thanks hzr, the problem with that would be that the game servers need very little storage space and Plex needs as much as it can get. I think that separate drives would end up with a lot of wasted space. Would this help significantly with the seedbox issue?

• @mgbusta said:
    Would this help significantly with the seedbox issue?

don't worry, hetzner probably will solve your seedbox issue for you not too far in the future...

• Only you and your son, why need to create 2VM? How about install both game server and seedbox in same OS using real hardware?

• @Falzo said:

@mgbusta said:
    Would this help significantly with the seedbox issue?

don't worry, hetzner probably will solve your seedbox issue for you not too far in the future...

What's that mean to mean, in terms of abuse reports..?

• Hetzner is not the ideal host for torrenting. They are quite strict with everything greyzone as soon as they take notice.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Why would we assist you in breaking the law ?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Seedboxing Lindix is ok, so long as no movies... O_o

I recommend Online.net - Excellent internal peering

• Hetzner is fine for torrenting, just avoid public trackers & DHT.

• @Clouvider said:

Because you love money more than being an ethical business?

• @Clouvider said:

Or to see it from a different point of view. So many LET users do it.

• mgbusta said: seedbox freezes and stops responding whenever a torrent is added

Which client are you using?

• @Aidan said:

Which client are you using?

rtorrent - i like quickbox or swizzin to manage everything
    my son is using open game panel
    neither of us are good enough to run everything from scratch :|

• @Nekki said:

@Clouvider said:

Because you love money more than being an ethical business?