Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free/Cheap storage plans - Are these any good?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free/Cheap storage plans - Are these any good?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited September 2017 in General

So this showed up on my fb ads:

1 Year free 1TB: https://www.euserv.com/en/cloud/backup-hd-1T-se2017.php

The maximum contract term of this free special offer is 1 year. After one year you have to change to a paid plan or the contract is automatically deleted. There are no costs for deletion.

Or ~78,05 EUR/year for 2 TB (changes to 119,70 EUR/year after first year):
https://www.euserv.com/en/cloud/backup-hd-2T-se2017.php

The discounted price applies to the entire contract period.
For an annual advance payment, there is also a one-time special discount.

Traffic is on "best effort" but nontheless it looks neat and supports Rsync. I think I'm gonna grab the free plan.

Just the most interesting information (same for free except that free plan does not include personal support):

Comments

• i keep getting
    An error occurred while processing your order. Your order contains x the item 'faultCode10'. Available at the moment: faultCode
    must be something that is preventing me to complete order, one last try with IE.

• I didn't know about this provider. They also have a free 2 GB plan:

https://www.euserv.com/en/cloud/backup-hd-free.php

• @Falzo @vimalware @bersy and maybe @Amitz you can try.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @ehab said:
    i keep getting
    An error occurred while processing your order. Your order contains x the item 'faultCode10'. Available at the moment: faultCode
    must be something that is preventing me to complete order, one last try with IE.

Not a good sign. So it's a non-starter?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2017

@ehab said:
    @Falzo @vimalware @bersy and maybe @Amitz you can try.

It worked for me (Chrome Browser) with just about 2 or 3 clicks. And I'm from Germany :)
    Also something worth mentioning: They did not require any ID or payment information when ordering the free plan.

• wrote a ticket to sales and they were quick to reply, made the order and waiting for activation.

will give comments when i test drive it :) hahahh...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Interesting, but the pricing isn't that interesting after the first year. So you'd then have to either accept to pay the normal price, or move your data after a year.

• @datanoise said:
    Interesting, but the pricing isn't that interesting after the first year. So you'd then have to either accept to pay the normal price, or move your data after a year.

...or perhaps get a special offer after that one Year :P

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @Ympker said: Or ~78,05 EUR/year for 2 TB (changes to 119,70 EUR/year after first year): https://www.euserv.com/en/cloud/backup-hd-2T-se2017.php

I took a closer look and the normal price for the 2 TB plan is 347,40 EUR/year (including VAT).

The price that you quote (119,70 EUR/year) is the discounted price for the first year if the first year is paid quarterly. There's a further reduction of -41,65 EUR if the first year is paid all at once, which gives 78,05 EUR. But after the first year, the 2 TB plan is 347,40 EUR/year. So, indeed, not so cheap after the first year.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Signing up for the free space right now, I could use some space to backup all my files from my VPSs. I also noticed that they have a VPS trial, one year trial for a 2.38Euro set up fee, was hoping it was completely free... Comes with 1 vCore, 1.5GB ram, 10GB disk space, and unmetered 100mbps connection. However it seems that under delivery, it reads wait list, idk when it gets activated.

Link: https://www.euserv.com/en/virtual-private-server/root-vserver/vserver-trial.php

• sounds much like hetzners storageboxes... if it is comparable one won't be able to change owner or permissions, so usage of rsync maybe limited.

the one year free might come in handy if someone needs short time storage during a migration or something like that...

but for now I am not really interested, luckily have enough storage with zxhost and hetzner ;-)

Thanked by 4Amitz ehab Ympker Pwner
  • Thanks @Ympker I got delivered my one.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • So what you all are saying is: we can expect this thread to be bumped in a year that someone got their stuff deleted from the travesty of having to pay for service?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2017

Well still enough storage to use for free for 1 year^^ If nothing too important even some media files will do :)

@Damian I expect people to find their own ways to make use of this offer :) And one can certainly do SOMETHING with 1TB storage for a year :P

Thanked by 1ehab
  • never seen a 1TB with rsync for free in Germany...ever.... and they wrote:

The maximum contract term of this free special offer is 1 year. After one year you have to change to a paid plan or the contract is automatically deleted. There are no costs for deletion

so its not like i will be forced to pay if its not necessary.

@Ympker Thank you

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Seems great :D

Also, @Ympker needs a lot-loads of storage.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2017

@ehab No worries :P Love you guys here at LET < 3

@jetchirag Well I do still have 1Fichier for anything that needs to be stored for a longer period.

As @ehab says. 1 TB storage for free with rsync and in Germany that cancels itself automatically without any payment. Why not?

• @Ympker said:

The love is not returned tho

• @Linkhost said:

@Ympker said:

The love is not returned tho

Oh..ok :(

• On a sidenote: They retired their $6 Atoms :(

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Seems cool, but everything in the control panel is in German.

• @M_Ordinateur said:
    Seems cool, but everything in the control panel is in German.

ZEE ARRSYYNNKSS MUZZT RUNN OHHN TIMME!

• @M_Ordinateur said:
    Seems cool, but everything in the control panel is in German.

Try translator extension

• jetchirag said: Try translator extension

The buttons are static images. OCR would be needed to translate them automatically.

Speichern must mean something like save, but Anlegen? GTranslate says it means 'landing' or 'couch' but it doesn't make sense.

• @M_Ordinateur said:

jetchirag said: Try translator extension

The buttons are static images. OCR would be needed to translate them automatically.

Speichern must mean something like save, but Anlegen? GTranslate says it means 'landing' or 'couch' but it doesn't make sense.

Try the live translator app on your mobile and remember meanings.

Thanked by 1M_Ordinateur
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2017

"Speichern" = save
    Native german here :P Any questions, ask. Also shouldnt rsync/ftp be doable with software of choice?

"Anlegen" is to be translated similar to "create"/"add".

Thanked by 1M_Ordinateur
  • M_OrdinateurM_Ordinateur Member
    edited September 2017

Thanks for the translations!

Ympker said: Also shouldnt rsync/ftp be doable with software of choice?

It's not really like with Hetzner's storage boxes : apparently, you have a create a ftp/sftp login before using the storage space as it's not created automatically when ordering. Thus the need to use the untranslated panel.

Note that it displays the "FTP-Passwort" in cleartext without clicking on any reveal button.

You can, however, add your SSH key: when you enable rsync, it says:

öffentlicher Schlüssel zur Authentifizierung über OpenSSH (optional)

EDIT: It seems limited to 6 simultaneous connections, as the server complains:

530 Max. 6 Verbindungen je User erlaubt ! / max. 6 concurrent connections per host !

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Well I got my account activated quite quickly, but I didn't get the email where the FTP details are listed, opened a ticket and waiting reply from them...

M_Ordinateur said: EDIT: It seems limited to 6 simultaneous connections, as the server complains:

530 Max. 6 Verbindungen je User erlaubt ! / max. 6 concurrent connections per host !

Thanks for the heads up! Going to use this to backup my VPSs, I'll just spread it out so it's not all making connections to the server at the same time to upload a daily backup.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @M_Ordinateur said:
    Thanks for the translations!

Ympker said: Also shouldnt rsync/ftp be doable with software of choice?

It's not really like with Hetzner's storage boxes : apparently, you have a create a ftp/sftp login before using the storage space as it's not created automatically when ordering. Thus the need to use the untranslated panel.

Note that it displays the "FTP-Passwort" in cleartext without clicking on any reveal button.

You can, however, add your SSH key: when you enable rsync, it says:

öffentlicher Schlüssel zur Authentifizierung über OpenSSH (optional)

EDIT: It seems limited to 6 simultaneous connections, as the server complains:

Aight! Thanks for providing Feedback :P I wont have time to test until monday :/

• I think you have to generate them through their control panel.

@Edmond said:
    Well I got my account activated quite quickly, but I didn't get the email where the FTP details are listed, opened a ticket and waiting reply from them...