Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VOIP setups/providers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VOIP setups/providers?

2»

Comments

• @prometeus said:
    why not a2billing?

It looks like a very good software.

http://www.asterisk2billing.org/home/a2billing-features/

A lot of features.
    :)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@asterisk14 said:
    I mentioned it for ease of set up for the OP. From the questions he is asking, I don't think he fully understands what he needs, much less how he would set it up. There is software that is referred to as 'call box' (asterisk + multiple lines + billing) that sets up the whole system including billing in one step so that is why I mentioned it.

fair suggestion, agree :-)

@DragonDF said:
    It looks like a very good software.

Yes, I used it for a few gateway and it works very well.
    When working with voip remember to apply all the security schema you can, your money will be eaten in minutes if your system is hacked/abused ;-)

• You should never have a VoIP server facing the internet. If you must connect phones in different physical locations you should setup a VPN for the phones to connect through.

That is, if you don't want $35,000 in calls being made to phone sex lines.

• @CraigA said:
    I get all my DID's from voip.ms I've used them for years and their pricing is really really
    good. I pay $0.99/month for most of my DID's and do a per minute at $0.005/min (yeah,
    half a cent)

I too have used voip.ms pay $0.99/month for DID's and do a per minute at $0.005/min.

@CraigA said:
    For a long time I was using Asterisk + FreePBX on a debian box that I hosted myself. I have
    since migrated to using the built in Cisco CME directly on my router.

>

@CraigA , can you compare function and value of hosting Asterisk + FreePBX on a debian box versus using the built in Cisco CME directly on router. Thanks

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited August 2013

@DrJinglesMD said:
    You should never have a VoIP server facing the internet. If you must connect phones in different physical locations you should setup a VPN for the phones to connect through.

People shouldn't have $35,000 in their accounts. I doubt most tight arses that use LEB would be that silly.

I have a asterisk pbx with external lines on a VPS and my security on the server is non-existant as I do not have the experience to lock it down. I have had a few people try to hack it and place calls to the Israhel, a hack attempt from Germany, and a few from the USA. Neither managed even though they were quite sustained, brute force, dictionary attacks. As long as your extensions are secured by decent passwords, (mine are 4 characters long!) then there should not be a problem.

• @prometeus said:
    When working with voip remember to apply all the security schema you can, your money will be eaten in minutes if your system is hacked/abused ;-)

As I do not know how to apply all the security schema (yet), I think I can leave not very much money in my account. So, the cracker will not have much to use. :)
    But it is good to know about this.

@DrJinglesMD said:
    You should never have a VoIP server facing the internet. If you must connect phones in different physical locations you should setup a VPN for the phones to connect through.

I imagined to use not phones, but software in a destkop as I use in Skype, VoipBusterPro, etc. As you need to use Password in this kind of account, I imagine this is not a big problem.
    About the $35,000, as I told before, the idea to not leave so much money in the account is a good idea, I imagine.

@corvid said:
    I too have used voip.ms pay $0.99/month for DID's and do a per minute at $0.005/min.

and I have to pay $8
    Everytime I need to remember how brazilian people are RICH. \o/

@asterisk14 said:
    I have a asterisk pbx with external lines on a VPS and my security on the server is non-existant as I do not have the experience to lock it down. I have had a few people try to hack it and place calls to the Zionist state of Israhell, a hack attempt from Germany, and a few from the USA. Neither managed even though they were quite sustained, brute force, dictionary attacks. As long as your extensions are secured by decent passwords, (mine are 4 characters long!) then there should not be a problem.

:)
    Tks for review.

• DrJinglesMDDrJinglesMD Member
    edited August 2013

@asterisk14 said:
    I have a asterisk pbx with external lines on a VPS and my security on the server is non-existant as I do not have the experience to lock it down. I have had a few people try to hack it and place calls to the Zionist state of Israhell, a hack attempt from Germany, and a few from the USA. Neither managed even though they were quite sustained, brute force, dictionary attacks. As long as your extensions are secured by decent passwords, (mine are 4 characters long!) then there should not be a problem.

In the LEB market I agree with you. I just didn't want anyone getting the wrong idea and then rollout phones into a business setting.

If anyone is interested here's a proof of concept that to my knowledge still HASN'T been pached by Cisco and it works on almost every 79xx phone they've sold in the last 6 years.

/conspiracynut

I do understand how unlikely it is for this to happen and I'm being paranoid. However, you still have to look at it and wonder what else on your desk is hackable and how someone could take down your whole network through your toaster.

• @corvid said:
    CraigA , can you compare function and value of hosting Asterisk + FreePBX on a debian box versus using the built in Cisco CME directly on router. Thanks

Asterisk is loaded with features as you know. That being said, I didn't need 99% of it. I also experienced some performance issues because the home router I was using didn't have any sort of reliable QoS to give priority to the voice packets.

I'm using a 2811 ISR at home now as my edge router. Since CME is built into the router, the voice packets never actually hit the internal network so there is no need to handle QoS. CME is geared more towards corporate VoIP and a lot of Cisco's VoIP handling revolves around their proprietary SCCP protocol, so getting SIP to work properly in any IOS version less than 15 was a little bit of a pain initially. I've liked it since implementing it though. For what I am using it for, it is more than enough.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited August 2013

@corvid said:
    CraigA , can you compare function and value of hosting Asterisk + FreePBX on a debian box versus using the built in Cisco CME directly on router. Thanks

I've tried to run it on a Fonera and it worked! But it can be a pain if you're using the same router for other things like wifi, and router functions. If you using something as a VoIP server then make sure it is a dedicated device. Nothing worse than have drop outs, distored sounds, echo and routing issues and trying to sort those problems out. Believe me I have issues with my setup, with my new Sky ISP supplied SR101 router which is just plain shit. My VoIP ATA would lose registration randomly after a few days, only way to find out was to either check it regularly (ball ache) or when you pick up the phone and find it is dead. I fiddled about with my ATA a lot before discovering the Sky router is shit and causing problems. Now I've swapped it out, everything works fine. But isolating the problems took ~2-3 weeks!

If you want minimal hardware and home setup, get a thin client and run it on that.

@DrJinglesMD - watched the presentation, interesting. Don't have CISCO phones (but where I work we have all CISCO phones), but I have cisco ATA's. Don't think there is any chance of any normal person being hacked like that so will continue to use VoIP. Pretty soon everything everyone has will be ALWAYS connected to the internet, like your mobile, TV, multiple computers, maybe even your blender or toaster like you have said and then we will have real problems. The government will be able to have access to these and will be watching us through our TV, like in the novel 1984!!!