Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap VPS for Nextcloud - EU server, minimum 50 GB disk space, 1 GB RAM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap VPS for Nextcloud - EU server, minimum 50 GB disk space, 1 GB RAM

I'm currently hosting my Nextcloud instance at Hostiso, it is a managed service, support is good and they offer a money back program too. The problem is I cannot change deeper settings of Nextcloud because it's shared service, I'd like to have root access and completely manage the instance.

So, what I'm looking for is a cheap VPS plan with these minimum:

• European server location;
  • 50 GB disk space;
  • 1 GB RAM;
  • 1 TB bandwith;
  • SSH access;
  • $3-/m.

The ideal choice would be for a small KVM with SSD disk, premium bandwith, Gb port, multi-core. I know this is a more expensive setup, I'll consider spending more than $3 for a good VPS. Could anyone give me some hint?

Comments

• WSSWSS Member
    edited September 2017

$3/mo is pretty low, especially for EU. I'd probably go with @AnthonySmith for #3.50/mo.

• scaleway probably the only thing matching your specs around that price especially on monthly payment

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Gary92Gary92 Member
    edited September 2017

@WSS said:
    $3/mo is pretty low, especially for EU. I'd probably go with @AnthonySmith for #3.50/mo.

I've looked at the €3.50 tier but I don't see SSD/HDD indications. Also, are €3.50 including VAT?

I've just found an older offer here on LET, it's a $20/y plan but I don't know if they're out of stock.

Yes, I agree $3 is a very low price given what I'm looking for, but I'm honest when I say that I cannot spend much more for a VPS currently.

• It's probably going to be HDD with Inception, unless stated otherwise. It includes VAT AFAIK. I've had a host with VMBox.co, but I no longer do- but I can't say I recall having a problem with them.

You're not going to get 50GB SSD for that price with, well, almost anyone. @Falzo hit the nail on the head, though. I keep forgetting about Scaleway.

https://www.scaleway.com/virtual-cloud-servers/

• @Gary92 said: I'm currently hosting my Nextcloud instance at Hostiso, it is a managed service, support is good and they offer a money back program too. The problem is I cannot change deeper settings of Nextcloud because it's shared service, I'd like to have root access and completely manage the instance.

I don't know how shared hosting is set up at Hostiso, but I guess that you can't install Nextcloud in your own web directory and run it from there? (Maybe not.)

• @Falzo said:
    scaleway probably the only thing matching your specs around that price especially on monthly payment

I read Scaleway prices are VAT exclusive, so I suspect the final price will be higher. Also, someone here blamed them about extra fees (maybe paying for a new month, I don't remember) in case of VPS restarts: is this true?

@WSS said:
    It's probably going to be HDD with Inception, unless stated otherwise. It includes VAT AFAIK. I've had a host with VMBox.co, but I no longer do- but I can't say I recall having a problem with them.

You're not going to get 50GB SSD for that price with, well, almost anyone. @Falzo hit the nail on the head, though. I keep forgetting about Scaleway.

https://www.scaleway.com/virtual-cloud-servers/

HDD is not a big problem for me. Now I'm with SAS RAID10 storage but I don't think I'll stress disks very much: VPS will basically act as a more powerful, on-steroids replacement of OneDrive/Dropbox/Google Drive for my files.

@angstrom said:
    I don't know how shared hosting is set up at Hostiso, but I guess that you can't install Nextcloud in your own web directory and run it from there? (Maybe not.)

Hostiso offers Nextcloud-as-a-service, so what I got is fundamentally a configured Nextcloud instance with admin rights but no root access (my starting point is the equivalent of Linux "home" directory and I can't go up in the hierarchy). If I understood your suggestion, I would end up installing Nextcloud in Nextcloud.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited September 2017

@Gary92 said: Hostiso offers Nextcloud-as-a-service, so what I got is fundamentally a configured Nextcloud instance with admin rights but no root access (my starting point is the equivalent of Linux "home" directory and I can't go up in the hierarchy). If I understood your suggestion, I would end up installing Nextcloud in Nextcloud.

Again, I don't know how Hostiso works, but it sounds to me like all you really need is shared hosting with access to your own web directory so that you could install Nextcloud there locally. (Look for "Web Installer For shared hosts" on the Nextcloud download pages.) I think that this would be possible on BuyShared, for example.

• Your budget is very low, I propose you our offer for fast NVMe disk if you consider raising budget: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/125732/nicevps-nvme-vps-offer-cheap-anonymous-bitcoin-hosting-fast-protected-vps

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

@nice said:
    Your budget is very low, I propose you our offer for fast NVMe disk if you consider raising budget: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/125732/nicevps-nvme-vps-offer-cheap-anonymous-bitcoin-hosting-fast-protected-vps

Can you stop spamming your shit on every thread? You don't get even close to meeting his minimum requirement of disk until a 48 euro server or 11 euros with additional disk.

NiceVPS.net forum spams for SEO
    NiceVPS.net forum spams for SEO

• nicenice Member
    edited September 2017

@Rhys, [(minimum, maximum)] basic maths buddy =))

• @angstrom said:
    Again, I don't know how Hostiso works, but it sounds to me like all you really need is shared hosting with access to your own web directory so that you could install Nextcloud there locally. (Look for "Web Installer For shared hosts" on the Nextcloud download pages.) I think that this would be possible on BuyShared, for example.

I confirm that Nextcloud can be hosted on a shared service. The fact is: I'm afraid of possible security and performance issues with shared plans. Since I want to put all my personal and private files there (in order to access them on the go from multiple devices), I thought a more isolated environment would have been better for my purpose, with lesser exposure to consequences of other users behaviours on the same server. Also, my use of Nextcloud is not limited to files management as I will use integrated apps too (contacts, calendar, todos, gallery, audio streaming through Ampache, etc.). However I want to thank you for your suggestion, I'll consider a shared scenario.

PS - A famous Nextcloud provider is Owncube, their services are similar to those offered by Hostiso.

PPS - I hope my English is not too rusty, I apologize in advance.

• @Gary92 said:

@angstrom said:

I confirm that Nextcloud can be hosted on a shared service. The fact is: I'm afraid of possible security and performance issues with shared plans. Since I want to put all my personal and private files there (in order to access them on the go from multiple devices), I thought a more isolated environment would have been better for my purpose, with lesser exposure to consequences of other users behaviours on the same server. Also, my use of Nextcloud is not limited to files management as I will use integrated apps too (contacts, calendar, todos, gallery, audio streaming through Ampache, etc.). However I want to thank you for your suggestion, I'll consider a shared scenario.

I guess that the question is whether you're ready for the maintenance of a KVM VPS and for the price increase to get 50GB SSD space. The security issues on a KVM can be higher than on a shared host if one doesn't maintain the KVM properly.

I run Nextcloud on a KVM VPS, but I've just noticed that it needs to be updated! :-D

PS - A famous Nextcloud provider is Owncube, their services are similar to those offered by Hostiso.

Owncube looks pretty good. I have to admit that I've never tried a Nextcloud or ownCloud provider, but some of them look attractive (and with reasonable prices).

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2017

Scaleway would fit nicely, just create it on the 1st of a month and then don't touch anymore don't stop/start mid-month.

You can also buy extra space at 1 EUR per 50GB SSD. But it needs to be mounted manually, it does not extend the main disk automatically.

• @rm_ said: Scaleway would fit nicely, just create it on the 1st of a month and then don't touch anymore don't stop/start mid-month.

I've never used Scaleway, but they charge for restarting one's VPS???

edited September 2017

angstrom said: I've never used Scaleway, but they charge for restarting one's VPS???

Restarting is not a problem (via the actual Reboot function), but if you stop it and then start again, that counts like deleting and creating a new VPS would at other providers, it resets your monthly billing cap of 2.99 EUR, so you may end up paying up to 4.46 EUR/month instead of the advertised 2.99.

Read here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/124493/scaleway

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @rm_ said: Restarting is not a problem (via the actual Reboot function), but if you stop it and then start again, that counts like deleting and creating a new VPS would at other providers, it resets your monthly billing cap of 2.99 EUR, so you may end up paying up to 4.46 EUR/month instead of the advertised 2.99.

I imagine that Scaleway doesn't allow custom ISOs either.

angstrom said: I imagine that Scaleway doesn't allow custom ISOs either.

I don't see that OP asked for that. "Hostiso" is just the name of a shared hosting provider.

• @rm_ said:

angstrom said: I imagine that Scaleway doesn't allow custom ISOs either.

I don't see that OP asked for that. "Hostiso" is just the name of a shared hosting provider.

It was more a question that I had about Scaleway. :-) You're right, the OP didn't ask for that.

• Could you clarify how your OpenVZ servers are KVM, which is what the OP is looking for?

Thanked by 4rm_ uptime Aidan bugrakoc
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

we can do the following plan:

1GB Memory

100GB Storage

2 vCPU Fair Use

Unmetered Bandwidth

Xen HVM Virtualization

1 IPv4 address

£4.50 p/m

https://billing.web-project.uk/order/config/index/offers/?group_id=3&pricing_id=74

• @angstrom said:

Could you clarify how your OpenVZ servers are KVM, which is what the OP is looking for?

Openvz

• @smart2host said:

@angstrom said:

Could you clarify how your OpenVZ servers are KVM, which is what the OP is looking for?

Openvz

I give up.

Thanked by 2caracal Aidan
  • @angstrom said:

@smart2host said:

@angstrom said:

Openvz

I give up.

We have and kvm servers https://smart2host.com/kvm-servers.php

• @smart2host said:

@angstrom said:

@smart2host said:

@angstrom said:

Openvz

I give up.

That's better, but your cheapest KVM server is $6/month, whereas the OP is looking for around $3/month.

The point is that when you simply post a link to your company website without taking into account what the OP is looking for, it looks remarkably like spamming the thread.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • @angstrom said:

@smart2host said:

@angstrom said:

@smart2host said:

@angstrom said:

Openvz

I give up.

That's better, but your cheapest KVM server is $6/month, whereas the OP is looking for around $3/month.

The point is that when you simply post a link to your company website without taking into account what the OP is looking for, it looks remarkably like spamming the thread.

I apologize, that's not what I wanted

• Gary92Gary92 Member
    edited September 2017

@angstrom said:
    I guess that the question is whether you're ready for the maintenance of a KVM VPS and for the price increase to get 50GB SSD space. The security issues on a KVM can be higher than on a shared host if one doesn't maintain the KVM properly.

I run Nextcloud on a KVM VPS, but I've just noticed that it needs to be updated! :-D

Owncube looks pretty good. I have to admit that I've never tried a Nextcloud or ownCloud provider, but some of them look attractive (and with reasonable prices).

You're absolutely right, the maintenance of a VPS could be more difficult than the simple (and managed) shared service I'm using now: I submit a support ticket to my provider and support team does the dirty job. However I'm curious to try a self-managed service, the "inexperience" with Nextcloud on VPS is another reason why I prefer to start with a lower tier.

Sorry if I'm indiscreet, but could you tell me what are your current hw setup for Nextcloud and use/performance with it?

@WebProject said:
    we can do the following plan:

1GB Memory

100GB Storage

2 vCPU Fair Use

Unmetered Bandwidth

Xen HVM Virtualization

1 IPv4 address

£4.50 p/m

https://billing.web-project.uk/order/config/index/offers/?group_id=3&pricing_id=74

Hi and thank you for your offer, £4.50/m is equivalent to €5+/m and I want to stay lower with the price. I see they are 100 GB, are there (cheaper) 50 GB plans too?

Since OVZ are usually cheaper than KVM and someone here proposed OVZs, I ask you: KVM+HDD vs OVZ+SSD for a secure/reliable Nextcloud, which one would you choose?

EDIT - In the meantime, I'm evaluating all possibilities you suggested me, it's difficult to choose.

• @Gary92 said: Sorry if I'm indiscreet, but could you tell me what are your current hw setup for Nextcloud and use/performance with it?

I'm running a personal Nextcloud on the smallest KVM (= VPS 100 G7 SE) from netcup.de:

https://www.netcup.de/vserver/vps.php

I got a promotional price of 1,99€/month instead of the normal price of 2,99€/month. (The price includes German VAT and is adjusted for other EU VAT accordingly.) Nextcloud runs fine but I should say that I use a stock Nextcloud installation without any extras. It sounds like your needs would be better met by the bigger plan VPS 500 G7 SE (for 3,99€/month). There's no promotion on these at the moment, but @Falzo may know of a coupon or a secret link. netcup.de is a solid provider in Germany.

(Note that if you go to their English language site, https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vps.php , the prices are higher.)

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Liteserver is a good provider but 256MB RAM is a bit low for Nextcloud. To quote:

Nextcloud needs a minimum of 128MB RAM, and we recommend a minimum of 512MB.

But it would run.