Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strange /proc/cpuinfo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Strange /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 5 vendor_id : GenuineIntel cpu family : 6 model : 63 model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz stepping : 2 microcode : 55 cpu MHz : 1600.015 cache size : 20480 KB

should i get cpu Mhz 2.40 Ghz ? or my provider are cheating ?

Comments

• Whats the problem?

Are you asking about the CPU MHz: 1600.015 reading?

If so: its downclocking because its not under load.

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underclocking

CPU's underclock the MHz when the usage is low to conserve power, and lower heat output.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited September 2017
  • The Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 has a base of 2.4GHz and turbo boosts to 3.2GHz. As MagicalTrain mentioned, the 1600MHz you see is the idle speed. Put some load on the CPU and it should raise its clock speed.

• It will most likely be to save power/heat, most modern CPU's will slow down if they don't need to be running at full tilt these days.

Now you can usually pin them to full performance in the Bios/UEFI if you are running something that's sensitive to the cpu freq changing but otherwise why bother, it should step up to the next frequency/power setting if it needs to.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2017

Wouldn't this just be provider limiting frequency/% (Virtualizor has feature for this?). cpuinfo is static I thought, at least on VMs, lscpu shows active frequency? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I'm just forgetting but obviously I'm aware of the Intel underclocking features. Edit: I just realized how dumb that is since lscpu pulls cpuinfo and something else.

• @MikeA said:
    Wouldn't this just be provider limiting frequency/% (Virtualizor has feature for this?). cpuinfo is static I thought, at least on VMs, lscpu shows active frequency? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I'm just forgetting but obviously I'm aware of the Intel underclocking features.

I think your are right. Even if the CPU is in powersave mode and shows let say 800Mhz on the host node, the VPS should see the CPU normal base clock. It should not fluctuate or shows a lower value.

• logaritselogaritse Member
    edited September 2017

@MagicalTrain said:
    Whats the problem?

Are you asking about the CPU MHz: 1600.015 reading?

If so: its downclocking because its not under load.

well i have 6 core, when all processor utilized and overload that clock speed didn't change. Keep at 1600.015 Mhz

i have other vps with 4 core

processor   : 3
    vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
    cpu family  : 6
    model       : 62
    model name  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz
    stepping    : 4
    microcode   : 1064
    cpu MHz     : 2100.064
    cache size  : 15360 KB

seems faster than my 6 core.

• @logaritse Most likely dynamic clock.

• And... I see the ops signature, and wish to cry.