Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a cheap storage VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a cheap storage VPS

Hello folks.

We are a group of med students who want to watch some recordings of classroom sessions on the go via Plex. I was happy enough with watching them on my home pc, but these guys came to me and asked me to put the videos "on the cloud" so they can watch them anywhere.

The videos are not copyrighted. Roughly 350GB of ~480p videos. I don't expect any transcodes to happen.

The thing is, I am happy enough watching these from local hdd, and I will be the one maintaining the whole setup, so I don't want to pay anything for this. Two other people will be covering the costs. Now these are poor and non-techie students and will probably won't understand the hosting industry. I proposed we used Zxhost's $48/y offer for this, but $48 = 171TRY and they have roughly 550-600 TRY/mo incomes so they asked for something cheaper, since we don't need that much space. Why am I writing these in detail? So maybe you won't shoot the messenger :P

Now the specs.

VZ Type: OpenVZ / LXC

Number of Cores: 1

RAM: 512MB

Disk Space: 400GB

Disk Type: HDD

Bandwidth: 500GB should cover us and leave lots of legroom

Port Speed: 100Mbps

DDoS Protection: No

Number of IPs: 1 IPv4

Location: Most likely EU, however anywhere with good TR connection is fine.

Budget: Lower than $48/y obviously, but I am not shameless enough to ask for a specific figure.

Billing period: Up to yearly depending on the price, however quarterly might be a good compromise for them price and commitment wise.

Thank you for reading this wall of text for my shameless request. Cheers!

Comments

• Wow. Such speed. Thanks.

BTW did you even read my post mate? :P

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    Thanked by 1daguguguji
  • VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

We just launched our storage VPS plans: https://vpsslim.com/page/data-vps

• @OP

How many videos are we talking about here? If they are not copyrighted you can consider hosting them on YouTube, that way others can view them far into the future.

• bugrakocbugrakoc Member
    edited September 2017

@mikewazar said:
    @OP

How many videos are we talking about here? If they are not copyrighted you can consider hosting them on YouTube, that way others can view them far into the future.

Hey neat idea! They aren't copyrighted, however we'd like to keep the videos to ourselves. Is youtube good for managing a private library that size?

• @bugrakoc said:

@mikewazar said:
    @OP

Hey neat idea! They aren't copyrighted, however we'd like to keep the videos to ourselves. Is youtube good for managing a private library that size?

You can remove public listing from videos

• @bugrakoc said:

@mikewazar said:
    @OP

Yeah, just list them as private.

• @jetchirag @mikewazar Well I know I can upload the videos as private. What I wonder is, does Youtube manage my videos like Plex? I have never uploaded a video to Youtube. It is necessary to categorize the videos, like "Gastroenterology" or "Obstetrics" etc. If it does, then a free solution would be the best for these guys.

• @bugrakoc said:
    @jetchirag @mikewazar Well I know I can upload the videos as private. What I wonder is, does Youtube manage my videos like Plex? I have never uploaded a video to Youtube. It is necessary to categorize the videos, like "Gastroenterology" or "Obstetrics" etc. If it does, then a free solution would be the best for these guys.

You can create private playlist which would act as categories.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • YouTube it is, then!

Thanked by 1jetchirag