Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is NVMe?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is NVMe?

I was browsing lowendbox https://lowendbox.com/blog/ionswitch-exclusive-vps-offer-1gb-kvm-starting-at-45yr

And someone commented that the 2GB offer was more expensive on the LEB special compared to their regular price listed on website. I also checked the 1GB offer and it was also more expensive in the LEB listing.

The only difference I saw is that the LEB special offer uses NVMe SSD Storage, while the regular priced VPS uses RAID 10 SSD Storage.

What is the advantage of NVMe vs RAID 10?

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
  • Thanked by 2Amitz WebProject
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@jcaleb said:

What is the advantage of NVMe vs RAID 10?

Just speed. Although a good SSD RAID 10 array can outperform a pair of NVMe drives in RAID 1 like the node in that offer has.

Here's a comparison between a couple Samsung evo drives, nvme vs sata ssd. http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-960-Evo-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB-vs-Samsung-850-Evo-1TB/m211052vs3576

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • GTHostGTHost Member, Patron Provider

NVMe is the latest high performance and optimized protocol which supersedes AHCI and compliments PCIe technology. It offers an optimised command and completion path for use with NVMe based storage. It was developed by a consortium of manufacturers specifically for SSDs to overcome the speed bottleneck imposed by the older SATA connection. It is akin to a more efficient language between storage device and PC: one message needs to be sent for a 4GB transfer instead of two, NVMe can handle 65,000 queues of data each with 65,000 commands, instead of one queue that with the capacity for 32 commands, and it only has seven major commands (read, write, flush etc). NVMe delivers better performance and reduced latency and is a scalable, but at a price!

in 1-2 years most of SSD's will be NVMe. :-)

Thanked by 2jcaleb nice
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@GTHost said:
    in 1-2 years most of SSD's will be NVMe. :-)

They grow up so quick.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

NVMe hosts are much faster than SSD hosts in both throughout and IOPS. They come at a higher cost, and generally require newer (and more expensive) hosts to run them. We maintain both lines (SSD and NVMe) to address customers who favor value vs those who need speed.

• GTHost said: in 1-2 years most of SSD's will be NVMe. :-)

This is a bit optimistic. I would say 3 to 4 years or even more for this to become standard. SATA is far from dead and is still default choice for 95% of people.

• looks awesome!

• In real-world application, the difference isn't as large - though it's still substantial.

Thanked by 2jcaleb yakblack
  • edited September 2017

NVMe is it not much faster than SATA with cheaper consumer drives. The PRO drives are faster so you probably get a better boost with those.

I have compared Samsung 850 EVO with 950 NVMe and didn't notice much difference.

There are backwards compatibility problems as well. I could not migrate a winbloz 7 PC from SATA to NVMe just by cloning the drive and installing the NVMe driver. I think it was a Win7 limitation. Figured it was easier just to install Win10 from scratch on the new PC.

Also heard there are potential issues with Linux and software RAID using NVMe.

• niknik Member, Host Rep

As long as there are no affordable NVMe hot swap solutions regular SSDs are far from dead. Providers who currently use NVMe gamble in terms of reliability or pay a shitload of money.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2017

@nik said:
    As long as there are no affordable NVMe hot swap solutions regular SSDs are far from dead. Providers who currently use NVMe gamble in terms of reliability or pay a shitload of money.

Hm? Re-check ;-).

If you use good SSD drives NVMe is usually on par with price these days.

• edited September 2017

@nik said:

Is there even a such thing as NVMe hot swap? I use dedicated servers from several providers . I think all my servers have hotswap hardware that is enabled in the BIOS. All my providers still all want to shut down the server when I need a drive replaced. Don't know why. So hotswap has been pretty much useless for me.

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@nik said:

Is there even a such thing as NVMe hot swap? I use dedicated servers from several providers . I think all my servers have hotswap hardware that is enabled in the BIOS. All my providers still all want to shut down the server when I need a drive replaced. Don't know why. So hotswap has been pretty much useless for me.

There is but there are very limited chassis that support hotswap nvme and the ones that do are quite expensive vs standard sata e.g. Supermicro offers nvme hotswap chassis.

As for your providers asking for the boxes to be shutdown for changing drives, could be that they're not using hotswap bay chassis therefore need to open it up or they're just saying that to every customer no matter the hardware they're on, even if it has hotswap bays.

• gleertgleert Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

LosPollosHermanos said: Is there even a such thing as NVMe hot swap?

Yes...

Thanked by 2mfs Rhys
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

SSD were not great from begging, my personal PC crashed as SSD is failed and WD company replaced it without fuss.

• Only relevant info u need to know is that NVMe allows hosts to oversell it back to HDD speeds.

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:

@nik said:

Hm? Re-check ;-).

If you use good SSD drives NVMe is usually on par with price these days.

To be honest I am not sure what you are talking about. The hot swap chassis are super expensive, so are the 2.5 NVMe drives.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

nik said: so are the 2.5 NVMe drives.

Then perhaps you should look into changing the distributor. I'm getting about the same prices for Enterprise grade NVMe as for SATA SSDs, that's not far from Samsung 850 Pro prices.

Today, from the point of asset purchasing, if you go for enterprise, there's absolutely no sense to buy SATA from the drive's price perspective.

• If they are expensive now that is probably just because they are new. They will probably come down to the same as SATA hotswap eventually.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:

nik said: so are the 2.5 NVMe drives.

Then perhaps you should look into changing the distributor. I'm getting about the same prices for Enterprise grade NVMe as for SATA SSDs, that's not far from Samsung 850 Pro prices.

Today, from the point of asset purchasing, if you go for enterprise, there's absolutely no sense to buy SATA from the drive's price perspective.

Sounds like they don't have a dist, and are just quoting rrp... nubs XD

• elgselgs Member
    edited September 2017
    $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/output bs=1M count=1k; rm -f /tmp/output
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 0.447009 s, 2.4 GB/s

Just bought a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB nvme, today.

Thanked by 1jcaleb