Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to use VPS as Desktop? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to use VPS as Desktop?

2»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2013

My fav is xfce4. call me old fashion, hehe :)
    But yeah, my 1 $ a month ovz 256 MB from bluevm runs the same pretty well, in this case, debian, though. In the same time runs heavy java, so props to the guys, they have rock solid servers.
    In short:
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get install xfce4 (i have enough space for the full load)
    apt-get install xrdp

just connect then to the IP with your favourite rdp client, user is root, pass root pass. you may wish to use another account, though, and apt-get remove samba* apache2 bind9 whatever might be there that you dont need (netstat -l to see what is listening, preferably before installing the desktop).
    Do not forget to logout, otherwise will take resources for nothing.
    It might also be a good idea to tunnel everything through ssh and use vnc directly, not through xrdp, but it is very convenient this way and load is insignificant.

Thanked by 1mikecupcake
  • earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

i have vnc running on ipxcore with 32mb vps.. works fine for surfing etc.. vps cost 50 cents/mo

@earl said:
    i have vnc running on ipxcore with 32mb vps.. works fine for surfing etc.. 50 cents/mo

LOL :) Well, yeah, I have an old laptop at home with pentium 1 120 and 80 RAM which can run well a browser, but no flash and stuff. The problem is with the crappy video card with 1 mb ram, 800x600 and it blows away even in 8 bit colors, but is ok in VGA mode.

• @Maounique said:
    LOL :) Well, yeah, I have an old laptop at home with pentium 1 120 and 80 RAM which can run well a browser, but no flash and stuff. The problem is with the crappy video card with 1 mb ram, 800x600 and it blows away even in 8 bit colors, but is ok in VGA mode.

would vnc be limited to the hardware? if not then just vnc into the laptop maybe you get more colors and higher res..

same thing with flash on the 32mb vps.. when i try to open a site with flash the browser would crash.. probably not enough memory..

I also installed windows 2012 on a 12gb ramdisk and RDP works great!

• i dont know where i did find this but works good. you ll need to enter the vnc password when asked.

vnc fluxbox, works on debian...

• BlueVM said: I'd normally go with the 12.04

Ok! I will take a try. :)

Ruriko said: just install windows server 2008 and you can use it for 180days :)

I have already a Windows VPS. :) In this case I'd like to test with Linux. I do need to learn Linux. :)
    And as @Magiobiwan wrote, it is a OpenVZ, not a KVM VPS.

Magiobiwan said: Except he has an OpenVZ VPS. So no windows. We used to have a tutorial for how to set up a desktop on your VPS, but it was wiped out when we had a little spambot infestation on the Wiki Server. Damned spambots.

BrianHarrison said: Cached on archive.org perhaps?

"Unfortunately we are currently recreating our wiki, please check again soon!"
    I could not find this possibility.
    :(
    But I will try to find a new one. If not I can try to post a tutorial in a near future with my difficulties. It can help others.

Thank you the others who replied.

• With X, Openbox and SSH you can easily create a remote desktop session.

• i love using lxde

it's easy and simple to install, very light weight.

http://lxde.org/

• Sorry for the shameless self-plug here:

Installing a lightweight LXDE+VNC desktop environment on your Ubuntu/Debian VPS:
    http://www.vandorp.biz/2012/01/installing-a-lightweight-lxdevnc-desktop-environment-on-your-ubuntudebian-vps/

• You could install x11 + vnc on the vps and install something like GNOME or fluxbox, then get any linux based desktop (or even laptop) and open up a VNC connection to the server.

• If you're not using a mobile client to connect, I would highly recommend using NX instead of VNC or xRDP. It gives the most native like experience but unfortunately there is no Android client as of right now. I've got a script somewhere that auto-installs NoMachine(NX) and XFCE4 if you want it.

• I'm using NX remote Remote Desktop and its way better than VNC. Using Firefox4 with 3tabs takes just 200-300mb RAM.

@situnrocks said:
    I'm using NX remote Remote Desktop and its way better than VNC. Using Firefox4 with 3tabs takes just 200-300mb RAM.

That is way too much, my iceaweasel can hold 8 tabs in that ram, but it depends what is running in those too.

• @Maounique said:

Thats right. I mean I've tried both VNC and NX but NX consumes less RAM compare to VNC.

• In my opinion, NX just gives a more Native like feeling compared to VNC. There is an Android client in the works, when it comes out I can't see any reason to use VNC.

• putaorenputaoren Member
    edited October 2013

Personally I use xrdp which uses X11rdp or Xvnc to manage the X session on a linux vps,works fine with me.link:http://www.xrdp.org/

@putaoren said:
    Personally I use xrdp which uses X11rdp or Xvnc to manage the X session on a linux vps,works fine with me.link:http://www.xrdp.org/

Same here, saves me the trouble of installing various clients on android devices. The difference is negligible IMO.

• @Frost said:
    xrdp more or less destroys the idea of RDP as the overhead was really slow for me, but maybe I did something wrong?

I had Windows Server 2008 R2, 180 day trial on a NodeDeploy from BradND - 200mbps actual speed, 3GB RAM, 4 shared cores came in really handy when I needed a temporary workstation.

It was in Germany, had only like 17ms latency and could even use Photoshop CS6 smoothly despite the fact that there was only like 16MB QEMU emulated video card (I think Photoshop uses CPU as render fallback)

How much does that cost you?

• Hi guys,

First: I made a mistake. It is not a 256Mb VPS, but a 128Mb one. :(

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 as @BlueVM suggested. First 32 bits, later 64 bits.

I am trying to use GUI in my VPS (as a desktop).
    I read here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/53822/how-do-you-run-ubuntu-server-with-a-gui

Trying to do these 2 commands:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

As you can see, It is not working neighter in WinSCP (image), neither in Java Console, neither in IP Command center.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/thq2.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/axl0.jpg/

Maybe the command is not "yes". I do not know the problem.

As there are others alternatives (Gnome3, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, Openbox) you could give me idea about if there is any of them wich uses less RAM.

About LXDE, I could not install it, too.
    In its page we can read a few info and requirements.

CPU_______________________RAM________HD________Speed

Pentium II 266 MHz______192 MB____5400 rpm___moderate-fast

VIA 400 MHz_____________256 MB____5400 rpm___moderate-fast

Pentium III 600 MHz_____512 MB____4500 rpm___fast

Emulation over QEMU at AMD Athlon 1.6 (1.4 GHz)128 MB__DiscImage fast

AMD Athlon 1.6 (1.4 GHz)_512 MB___7200 rpm___very fast

Required setup

Similar to Windows 98

After X11 and LXDE begin, the total use of memory stay near 45Mb.

Recommended at least 128Mb RAM or more.