Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free CDN : Cloudflare alternatives? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free CDN : Cloudflare alternatives?

2»

Comments

• seanho said: I have dozens of small static sites that are completely hosted on CDN

What do you use for those? netlify?

• seanhoseanho Member
    edited September 2017

@datanoise said:

seanho said: I have dozens of small static sites that are completely hosted on CDN

What do you use for those? netlify?

For now, just Github Pages via CF.

Edit: some links for further reading:

Github issue on SSL with custom domains

CloudFlare blog on using CF with Github Pages

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Cam said:

Well, you can use tools like these: https://tools.keycdn.com/ping, there are tons on google.

Thats your CDN:

Everything outside US is high.

That for example is bunnyCDN:

• CamCam Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2017

@Neoon said:

@Cam said:

Well, you can use tools like these: https://tools.keycdn.com/ping, there are tons on google.

Everything outside US is high.

Hmm. That seems to be only be pinging the dallas server. If you would like to check out all of them directly feel free.
    chi.cdn.gullo.me
    atl.cdn.gullo.me
    la.cdn.gullo.me
    ny.cdn.gullo.me
    dal.cdn.gullo.me

Also.. "Gullo's CDN can help you speed up your websites using our servers around the United States!" This is currently designed for the United States.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Neoon said: Everything outside US is high.

Well he did say it's an

Cam said: U.S. CDN

lel

Thanked by 1Cam
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Cam said:

Hmm. That seems to be only be pinging the dallas server.

Well from the cdn.gullo.me domain it appears you're just round robin'ing 5 boxes, not trying to route geographically based on location of requests.

I checked from a box in LA and got Buffalo first, then the second time I got LA, third time I got ATL.

@Harambe said:

@Cam said:

Hmm. That seems to be only be pinging the dallas server.

Well from the cdn.gullo.me domain it appears you're just round robin'ing 5 boxes, not trying to route geographically based on location of requests.

I checked from a box in LA and got Buffalo first, then the second time I got LA, third time I got ATL.

Correct. This is how I have it setup. It will pick the server that responds first.

• nielsniels Member
    edited September 2017

@Cam said:

How do you expect "it" to do this..? Simultaneous requests to all your PoPs? Have you tested this yourself?

I think you need to look into this some before you can sell this as a CDN.

@niels said:

@Cam said:

How do you expect "it" to do this..? Simultaneous requests to all your PoPs? Have you tested this yourself?

Thankyou. I will do more testing. This is apart of my process as releasing it as a free service in the “beta” period. Thanks again :)

• Hum, so it's nothing more than a round robin? No Anycast, no DNS answer to the closest servers?

edited September 2017

@niels said:

@Cam said:

@datanoise said:
    Hum, so it's nothing more than a round robin? No Anycast, no DNS answer to the closest servers?

I just wanted to let you know that this has been reconfigured to check for the closest server. Feel free to check it out, Again this is current a USA based cdn.

Thanks!

• hzrhzr Member
    edited September 2017

Cam said: I just wanted to let you know that this has been reconfigured to check for the closest server. Feel free to check it out, Again this is current a USA based cdn.

how do you "check" ? Round robining does not do what you think it does - it will distribute load but it doesn't do "closest".

@hzr said:

Cam said: I just wanted to let you know that this has been reconfigured to check for the closest server. Feel free to check it out, Again this is current a USA based cdn.

how do you "check" ? Round robining does not do what you think it does - it will distribute load but it doesn't do "closest".

You can check with https://tools.keycdn.com/ping

I am using GeoDNS to check the incoming IP and chooses the closest server.

Cam said: I am using GeoDNS to check the incoming IP and chooses the closest server.

No you do not, still all 5 IPs are returned by your DNS servers no matter what the "incoming IP" is.

Hello,

All 5 IP's will be displayed just in case the event that a server is offline so you wont get re-directed to a server that is down. When you attempt to reach cdn.gullo.me you will reach the closest server available to you.

I hope this clears things up.

Thanks,
    Cam

Cam said: All 5 IP's will be displayed just in case the event that a server is offline so you wont get re-directed to a server that is down. When you attempt to reach cdn.gullo.me you will reach the closest server available to you.

Again, you still didn't understand how DNS round-robin (which is what you are using) works.

Thanked by 2WSS bersy
  • hzrhzr Member
    edited September 2017

Cam said: All 5 IP's will be displayed just in case the event that a server is offline so you wont get re-directed to a server that is down. When you attempt to reach cdn.gullo.me you will reach the closest server available to you.

I hope this clears things up.

>

This isn't how it works. If you want "closest" you have to ONLY return the A records closest.

If you return all 5, then picking any of the 5 is totally arbitrary.

Thanked by 2rm_ WSS
  • Cam seems nice - build a CDN without basic DNS understanding :----)

@rm_ said:

Again, you still didn't understand how DNS round-robin (which is what you are using) works.

@hzr said:
    This isn't how it works. If you want "closest" you have to ONLY return the A records closest.
    If you return all 5, then picking any of the 5 is totally arbitrary.

@Zerpy said:
    Cam seems nice - build a CDN without basic DNS understanding :----)

My apologies. I had a configuration error in my DNS Filter Chain.

Feel free to check it out,
    https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/cdn.gullo.me
    https://tools.keycdn.com/ping

Thanked by 2datanoise WSS
  • Yep, seems to be working as expected now!

Thanked by 1Cam
  • Cam said: Feel free to check it out

Do you have a test file available?

@HackedServer said:

Cam said: Feel free to check it out

Do you have a test file available?

10MB
    100MB

This discussion has been closed.