Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have trouble installing arch to linux/arubacloud vps - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Have trouble installing arch to linux/arubacloud vps

Comments

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited September 2017

Oh I see what you mean now. Makes more sense I think. dd as in run the arch iso from the netboot.xyz. I thought you meant delete it on the system.

I will give this a go and see what happens.

# dd if='wget -O- https://boot.netboot.xyz/ipxe/netboot.xyz.iso'; of=/dev/hda bs=1k dd: failed to open ‘wget -O- https://boot.netboot.xyz/ipxe/netboot.xyz.iso’: No such file or directory

• Download the ISO and dd it yourself- but again, if you do so, your system will be fucked if your console is inaccessible.

edited September 2017

How can it dd while it is destroying all info (including the dd command presumably) on the hard drive and where should i save the iso with this in mind?

• Because it caches. You just need to be quick, and know what you're doing.

I have no idea. I still suggest you just learn to live with Debian or find a KVM special on Black Friday.

• Are there any other providers for $1 or so which dont have that fucked up filesystem? My requirements are low.

• Not usually.

• So what is the actual command you said to try or you were only joking?

• I was suggesting that you write the iPXE ISO to your HD. You need real console access to do anything with that, though.

• I do have real console access.

But the dd command you gave didnt work as I noted above.

• If you know so little UNIX that you can't figure it out- it's not for you.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Yes sir.

• @lowendguy7 said:

# dd if='wget -O- https://boot.netboot.xyz/ipxe/netboot.xyz.iso'; of=/dev/hda bs=1k dd: failed to open ‘wget -O- https://boot.netboot.xyz/ipxe/netboot.xyz.iso’: No such file or directory

Like @WSS indicated, you need to use backticks around the wget command, not single-quotes.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited September 2017
    • Install any linux they offer and which you know reasonably well ...
    • ... as minmal as possible into a small partition
    • get and loop-mount the linux cd-rom of your choice
    • install "your linux" into the remaining large partition
    • kill/recreate/format and use small install partition as swap or whatever
  • ..then install Free/Open/NetBSD over that.

edited September 2017

I tried both with what he gave (ofc I would copy and paste what he gave first) and with quotes and neither worked.

I was reading for a couple hours on this subject last night around this and there is quite a bit of good info on it I found that I need to digest.

Takeover.sh

How to remotely install Linux via SSH?

@seanho said:

@lowendguy7 said:

Like @WSS indicated, you need to use backticks around the wget command, not single-quotes.

edited September 2017

@bsdguy said:

• Install any linux they offer and which you know reasonably well ...
    • ... as minmal as possible into a small partition
    • get and loop-mount the linux cd-rom of your choice
    • install "your linux" into the remaining large partition
    • kill/recreate/format and use small install partition as swap or whatever

It's not as easy as that due to the lvm partitions though is it? I need to first get into a rescue boot or some other means don't I in order to remove the lvm so I can reformat.

You don't get the option to make your own partitions on setup on aruba afaik so you gotta work with what they give you.

• @lowendguy7: Although everyone would agree that the Aruba plan for €1/month is financially attractive, it's a pain if you want to install an OS that they don't support.

You probably don't want to hear this, but you should raise your budget a bit and choose a reliable KVM provider that allows the uploading of a custom ISO. (There are a number of such providers here on LET.) It would make things much easier.

Alternatively, just use one of OS templates that Aruba provides and try to be happy.

Thanked by 1ucxo
    edited September 2017

As I was reading on how to boot from ipxe image from hard disk by entering it into grub bootloader I found a script that apparently does it Boot iPXE from harddisc.

It ran the script fine and completed successfully. I rebooted via the rescue console and the ipxe menu option was there but when I chose it the boot hung with error file '/boot/ikpe.lkrn' not found

The file was definitely in the right place so any ideas why it would produce that error?

As to why I don't just 'give up' and use another distro I tried both centos and debian in the past and they would cause me constant issues with repos not having packages I want. So what, if there are some teething troubles setting up the server with arch. Once I know how to do it I will be able to repeat with no issues/few and I know it's been done before by others so not like it's an impossible task.

A week or so of learning curve is better than constant foraging around every few days that I would do with the other distros looking for packages or building them from source.

edited September 2017

@WSS said:
    ..then install Free/Open/NetBSD over that.

I made progress today.

I'm now able to boot into the netboot images however there is no http/dhcp setup when I reboot -so they can't get the images to install- so how do I get those going? From what I have been reading they all require setup from already running linuxes? i didnt understand really how it works.

I tried to do the loopback mount however I was thwarted since the livecd is too big for the /boot partition.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited September 2017

netboot.xyz usually works but you'll have (sometimes) to configure gory network details you should first collect (via 'ip address' , 'ip route' and the like); YMMV a lot. In one case, on OVH, I had to rebuild ipxe with custom patches to install some distro (vanilla ipxe didn't work and the distro didn't appear in netboot.xyz, maybe netboot.xyz didn't even exist). In most cases mounting a livecd via grub or "dd"ing the image to the disk is the most straightforward way to deal with this. @ume suggestion works but you'll have to at least handle and resize lvm partitions from a gparted live cd (a gparted livecd will fit in aruba's /boot mountpoint, I did it myself when I was humbly convinced to give aruba another try...)

it will be extremely painful to guide anyone step by step, take it easy and if you want to experiment, do it on a different 1€ box you could reset in a whim

about the "'/boot/ikpe.lkrn' not found" consider always which is the root you set in grub2. If you set it to e.g. hd0,1 and /boot is in the first partition, "ikpe.lkrn" (without "/boot") is what you're looking for

edited September 2017

Thanks, are you saying the ixpe settings need to be setting in the boot file somehow to make networking work?

I was thinking of the gparted way if I couldnt find a livecd/or a way to setup the network for netbooting.

Regarding a dd command the one WSS gave didn't work so can you offer an exmaple which has worked for you. But if you are dding to the main partition then how will the loopback see it if it isn't in grub /boot partition?

@mfs said:
    netboot.xyz usually works but you'll have (sometimes) to configure gory network details you should first collect (via 'ip address' , 'ip route' and the like); YMMV a lot. In one case, on OVH, I had to rebuild ipxe with custom patches to install some distro (vanilla ipxe didn't work and the distro didn't appear in netboot.xyz, maybe netboot.xyz didn't even exist). In most cases mounting a livecd via grub or "dd"ing the image to the disk is the most straightforward way to deal with this. @ume suggestion works but you'll have to at least handle and resize lvm partitions from a gparted live cd (a gparted livecd will fit in aruba's /boot mountpoint, I did it myself when I was humbly convinced to give aruba another try...)

it will be extremely painful to guide anyone step by step, take it easy and if you want to experiment, do it on a different 1€ box you could reset in a whim

about the "'/boot/ikpe.lkrn' not found" consider always which is the root you set in grub2. If you set it to e.g. hd0,1 and /boot is in the first partition, "ikpe.lkrn" (without "/boot") is what you're looking for

• You just DD the image to that partition, then make that one 'active' in fdisk/cfdisk, and it'll boot from that without grub.

edited September 2017

Alright that worked :).

Booted in fine but I am having trouble setting up the internet connection in the arch booted root.

I am in the rescue console...

I am trying to follow the networking wiki

but where it says do 'iw dev' I am just returned to the prompt with no output.

On initial boot there was no internet. Ping not working.

Iplink output

I tried starting dhcpcd. I also tried bringing the other devices listed in ip link up and doing the same and the same message. I also tried using the netctl static ip example and starting it and that didn't work either.

I tried also the manual config from the wiki which makes a ping now but does still fails 100% with host unreachable.

I also tried the tip (changing to my details of course):

# ip route add 192.168.1.1 dev eth0
    # ip route add default via 192.168.1.1 dev eth0

and same error.

• @lowendguy7: You seem determined.

• Ok I got internet going however I messed up at the format stage.

I rewrote the partitions in fdisk but it would not let me update the tables with partprobe and I didn't wanna do a reboot thinking that I would not be able to boot back in thought maybe I would have in hindsight. I also thought that the whole livecd was running only from memory so I thought there would be no prob dding the drive. I did that and kernel panic ensued.

So I will give it another go...

• @angstrom said:
    @lowendguy7: You seem determined.

Dude reminds me of my joys getting OBSD running on a KS-1. Only, he's just trying to get a different linux distribution on it. Also, 'iw' is for wireless. Your device probably isn't eth0 anymore.

• @WSS said:

@angstrom said:
    @lowendguy7: You seem determined.

Dude reminds me of my joys getting OBSD running on a KS-1. Only, he's just trying to get a different linux distribution on it.

Yeah, definitely determined.

As I said earlier in this thread, it would be much easier to get a full-fledged KVM and mount an Arch ISO. But I guess that wouldn't be challenging enough.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Really, if he just learned a little more of the direct underpinings, he'd be fine. You can even install through QEMU without kvm/vmx kernel support. It's slow as hell, but possible.

• And how do I learn? Through practice.

Not by 'giving up' like angstrom is insisting I do.

I've learned loads in the couple days I have been doing this already.

• QEMU which at least gives you a virtual machine on the HD you just destroyed.

Can you explain this a little more? How would this work? I'm unclear how this circumvents the issue of trying to run a program when you just wiped it? where would qemu the program be run from and also where would the image be stored? and you are making a new image? I dont understand this.