Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low-endian storage VM/dedicated
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low-endian storage VM/dedicated

Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
edited August 2013 in Requests

I am curious (but I will buy, if cost-performance/low-endian reputation are all good) about possible prices for this type of setup:

• little RAM (512Mb or below will suffice - just enough to run CentOS 6.x)
  • low-end CPU (effective 0.5GHz would suffice)
  • reliable network connection with narrow throughput (such as 5Mbps) and with unmetered traffic or at least 150-200Gb of monthly traffic
  • much storage (starting from 500GbMb and above); no RAID is mandatory

Price is of secondary importance. Cost/performance is of the first. Location isn't too important.

Note: from well-known storage/backup service I already use, for example, S3 AWS (combination of "usual" and Glacier), BQBackup plan and a VPS from Backupsy.

I would like to know of possible alternatives. That doesn't mean I will abandon something already listed above (in fact, I have 7 more backup locations, mostly rented space at private servers or co-located low-end boxes). There can't be too many backup locations, you see.

Comments

• So... powerpc works? I've got a couple yellow dog linux boxes available.

Thanked by 1Hassan
  • Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited August 2013

@Rallias said:
    So... powerpc works? I've got a couple yellow dog linux boxes available.

Any Linux would do where I can set up rsync/use ssh to connect to. Could you post specs/price?

• We curently have storage vps in Los Angeles.

• ATHKATHK Member

much storage (starting from 500Mb and above); no RAID is mandatory @Master_Bo

That supposed to GB not Mb?

• @ATHK said:
    That supposed to GB not Mb?

Correct. Gbs.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@Master_Bo said:
    Correct. Gbs.

Gb = gigabit

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @Master_Bo said:
    Any Linux would do where I can set up rsync/use ssh to connect to. Could you post specs/price?

You just completely missed the smartass. Low-endian?

• @Rallias said:

Well I laughed

• So what price per GB do you want to achieve in the end? Also, you said the lower limit is 500GB, what's the upper limit?

• I've got a Fusioned backup VPS, it has 200GB space running Ubuntu 12.04, 512MB RAM. Works perfect with Duplicity and Rsync. Message a reputable provider with these specs, compare offers and try a few out.

And, at home I have a second backup VM running which does a nightly sync with this backup server.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

BuyVM has several storage plans that would fit your needs quite well.

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited August 2013

@perennate said:
    Gb = gigabit

So the 750 Gb HDD I use at the moment is actually 8 times smaller than I and OS assume?

@rds100 said:
    So what price per GB do you want to achieve in the end? Also, you said the lower limit is 500GB, what's the upper limit?

I do not think that many providers could match the prices of AWS S3 Glacier storage. I'll wait for a while, looking for more plan mentions, prior to answering this question.

No upper limit regarding disk space. I can set (an arbitrary enough) price high limit: I won't pay for the entire plan more than $25/mo.

@Rallias said:

yes, since I post it on LET, low-endians are those I ask, primarily.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@Master_Bo said:
    So the 750 Gb HDD I use at the moment is actually 8 times smaller than I and OS assume?

Gb is gigabit. GB is gigabyte. Should be clear which, otherwise it's really confusing. If you really do have a 750 gigabit HDD, and you assume it is 750 gigabytes, then yes it's obviously eight times smaller than you assume...

• I wouldn't run any Linux in less than 64 MB of RAM, but each to his own.

• @Master_Bo said:
    yes, since I post it on LET, low-endians are those I ask, primarily.

So, Big-Endians are out of the question then?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I think he's not getting the end I an stuff

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Endian*

• @netomx said:
    I think he's not getting the end I an stuff

A bit of help then...

• I doubt he meant little endian vs big endian with his request. He rather meant Low-endish (i.e. cheap).

@Master_Bo the question still remains - what kind of storage are you looking for (upper limit) and at what price per gigabyte? I could probably offer something competitive for bigger storage (a small dedi with 1x or 2x 3TB HDDs).

Thanked by 1netomx
  • whoosh...

• @perennate said:
    Gb is gigabit. GB is gigabyte. Should be clear which, otherwise it's really confusing. If you really do have a 750 gigabit HDD, and you assume it is 750 gigabytes, then yes it's obviously eight times smaller than you assume...

Yessir! No problem using modern correct abbreviations. When we started to use computers (when 20 megabyte disk was a huge storage quite enough for entire scientific institution), we used MBit/etc to specify bits and Mb when referring to bytes.

@MiguelQ said:
    So, Big-Endians are out of the question then?

Those rarely condescend to offer anything low-end, you see.
    Note: words "cheap" and "inexpensive" aren't synonyms to me when talking of quality.

@rds100 said:
    I doubt he meant little endian vs big endian with his request. He rather meant Low-endish (i.e. cheap).

Inexpensive. "Cheap" assumes the quality may suffer in favor of price.

Master_Bo the question still remains - what kind of storage are you looking for (upper limit) and at what price per gigabyte? I could probably offer something competitive for bigger storage (a small dedi with 1x or 2x 3TB HDDs).

At the moment my archives take circa 200Gb (thus 500GB as a minimal space - allow twice the space for processing purposes), and it grows by approx. 2-4GB every month. So 500-750GB is more than enough for several years to come.

I pay 8.5 EUR/mo for an acceptable low-end server with 500GB non-RAID space, this is average price/space ratio to me.

• Well, for 500GB you could get a backupsy VPS. Not a dedi, but still... close.
    Or hope that OVH would some day lift the EU-only restriction for the new KS2G.

• @rds100 said:
    Well, for 500GB you could get a backupsy VPS. Not a dedi, but still... close.
    Or hope that OVH would some day lift the EU-only restriction for the new KS2G.

I am already using Backupsy VPS as part of "backup network".

I don't trust OVH, that excludes them from the list.

• I don't trust them either :) I don't trust any other provider too, including myself. So backups must always be encrypted before uploading anywhere :) And of course the encryption keys must not be uploaded.

• @rds100 said:
    I don't trust them either :) I don't trust any other provider too, including myself. So backups must always be encrypted before uploading anywhere :) And of course the encryption keys must not be uploaded.

And hands must be washed before a meal. Yes. I just don't trust the provider to order anything from them, that's all. All backup data I generate/store are always encrypted themselves.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2013

@rds100 said:
    I don't trust any other provider too, including myself. So backups must always be encrypted before uploading anywhere :) And of course the encryption keys must not be uploaded.

Sure, you can protect from yourself snooping around your own files...
    BTW, what time is in Bapha now ? Or the heat doesnt let you sleep :P

• Uncle rds100 probably spend most his time for me :D

• @Maounique i'm in Pamporovo at the moment, it's a mountain resort :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@rds100 said:
    Maounique i'm in Pamporovo at the moment, it's a mountain resort :)

And, there, obviously, it is another time zone :P or you are one of those crazy mountaineers that go on in trips lasting more than 24 hours traveling in the night too so at a break where you have 3g signal on a mountain top, you browse LET and post something at 6 AM :P

I happen to know one very well :)

• @Maounique i had problems getting reliable 3G signal here, but there was an ehternet cable sticking from the wall in the house where i am at the moment ;-)