Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forge Laravel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Forge Laravel?

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Hi folks,

Any reviews for https://forge.laravel.com/?

Seems to be really, really interesting, specially the "load balancing" feature, that rocks for big infrastructures.

What about its security, etc?
I'd give them a try but they need a CC, and I sort of do not want to give it before really testing it.

Comments

• I can't really find a purpose for this product to exist. So, it gets basic stacks setup for you for ~$0.50-$1/day. Most decent devs and admins are in sync about what the software requires, and having a man-in-the-middle doing the config/maintenance?

OK, so this exists for clueless devs who can't admin.

• @WSS said:
    I can't really find a purpose for this product to exist. So, it gets basic stacks setup for you for ~$0.50-$1/day. Most decent devs and admins are in sync about what the software requires, and having a man-in-the-middle doing the config/maintenance?

You'd be surprised how many devs can't admin.

Thanked by 2Lee imok
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@WSS said:
    I can't really find a purpose for this product to exist. So, it gets basic stacks setup for you for ~$0.50-$1/day. Most decent devs and admins are in sync about what the software requires, and having a man-in-the-middle doing the config/maintenance?

Actually their load balance features etc are quite awesome. Like Amazon ELB but using your own stack. Seems to be pretty secure as well. If it saves time then its much better. When you need to automatically launch instances due to high/peak traffic surges ELB and a few other options are expensive considering this can run in your own stack.

• @MikePT said:
    Actually their load balance features etc are quite awesome. Like Amazon ELB but using your own stack. Seems to be pretty secure as well. If it saves time then its much better.

I guess I just figured anyone who needs such a thing would have their own chief/puppet/ansible setup for such things.

@Lunar said:
    You'd be surprised how many devs can't admin.

PHP and Node aside... ;)

Thanked by 1Lunar

Another Laravel project, https://envoyer.io
    Interesting as well.

• When someone advertises what you're paying for as "Heroic Features", I just want to smack somebody.

Oh god, I've become old and irrelevant.

@WSS said:
    When someone advertises what you're paying for as "Heroic Features", I just want to smack somebody.

Oh god, I've become old and irrelevant.

How old are you? I have been feeling old but I am a 27 year old guy...

• @MikePT said:

They stopped carding me for buying booze late last year.

edited September 2017

@WSS said:

@MikePT said:

They stopped carding me for buying booze late last year.

Ahahahah! I guess you were... Under a high load.

I look like 18 so I got asked for my card many times lately.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @MikePT said:

Yeah. They kept telling me how young I looked.. until late 2016. I must have turned 40 overnight.

@WSS said:

@MikePT said:

Yeah. They kept telling me how young I looked.. until late 2016. I must have turned 40 overnight.

Most likely.
    No longer cute huh.

• @MikePT said:
    No longer cute huh.

Thanked by 2MikePT vimalware
  • Lunar said: You'd be surprised how many devs can't admin.

the market will decide after sometime if their business case have sense. If it doesn't, they will fold within a year or two, maybe.

• MikePT said: Another Laravel project, https://envoyer.io Interesting as well.

what is zero downtime?

• @jcaleb said:

MikePT said: Another Laravel project, https://envoyer.io Interesting as well.

what is zero downtime?

A Heroic Feature!

• WSS said: A Heroic Feature!

I feel that a business that promises 0 downtime is doomed to fail.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • I use it and am a big fan. I've managed my own servers for years, but using Forge means I don't have to anymore. Plus you get automatic git deploys, Let's Encrypt integration, Supervisor for long running processes, among other things with a click of a button. I'll gladly pay a few bucks to make my life easier. And I like having a single pane of glass to see all my applications, cron jobs and servers.

I have several Ansible playbooks to get my servers just so, but it also supports running shell scripts from the UI on any or all of the managed servers.

It got me treating servers as cattle instead of pets, making it dead simple to migrate apps from one server to another. You can even clone SSL certs between servers.

Ironically, the one thing I've not used it for is the load balancing.

It's not for everyone, but it's been great for me.

@jaden said:
    I use it and am a big fan. I've managed my own servers for years, but using Forge means I don't have to anymore. Plus you get automatic git deploys, Let's Encrypt integration, Supervisor for long running processes, among other things with a click of a button. I'll gladly pay a few bucks to make my life easier. And I like having a single pane of glass to see all my applications, cron jobs and servers.

I have several Ansible playbooks to get my servers just so, but it also supports running shell scripts from the UI on any or all of the managed servers.

It got me treating servers as cattle instead of pets, making it dead simple to migrate apps from one server to another. You can even clone SSL certs between servers.

Ironically, the one thing I've not used it for is the load balancing.

It's not for everyone, but it's been great for me.

Looks interesting indeed, might give it a try next month.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2017

I use Forge, it is what it is, simple, effective and useful. Do you really need it? Depends on you, for me it just provides simplicity and lets me focus on Laravel. If I wanted I could easily set up my self, but meh..

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • bugrakocbugrakoc Member
    edited September 2017

Why on earth anybody sane would do load balancing with something like PHP and not with, I don't know, fucking Nginx?

Fucking hipster-dev milennials.

Shame on me for posting without clicking the link.

@bugrakoc said:
    Why on earth anybody sane would do load balancing with something like PHP and not with, I don't know, fucking Nginx?

Fucking hipster-dev milennials.

Shame on me for posting without clicking the link.

BTW you do know Facebook runs on PHP, right?
    Even though it's heavily modified... The principle is there.

Good things can be done using PHP, and scale as any other programming language.

• @MikePT said:

Don't post drunk.

edited September 2017

@WSS said:

@MikePT said:

Don't post drunk.

I'm not drunk.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_languages_used_in_most_popular_websites
    https://www.quora.com/What-programming-languages-are-used-at-Facebook-Where-is-each-one-used

"Originally Answered: Which programming language was used to create Facebook?
    Facebook was (in)famously created with PHP and PHP is still the main language used, although various teams at Facebook are free to use other languages as appropriate. This means that Facebook as it exists now is a sprawling system implemented in multiple languages, but PHP was the original.

Facebook is sufficiently invested in PHP that they implemented an extensive suite of static analysis tools for the language (creatively named pfff), a high-performance PHP VM (HHVM) and even a gradually typed dialect of PHP (Hack)."

https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2010/02/02/hiphop-for-php--move-fast/

"Here we go,

PHP is used as a core Programming language to built Facebook and is compiled with HipHop for PHP which is created by Facebook.

Apache HBase is used for maintaining data across distributed systems

Ajax (programming) is used for sending and receiving data from servers, addition to this, they had developed Scribe (log server) to aggregate huge data from many servers which is resilient to network failures.

Java (programming language) is used for backend programming, addition to this they have developed Apache Thrift which is used to define and create services across different PL's.

MapReduce is used in servers for processing large data sets concurrently on a cluster.

Apache Hive is used for analyzing the data, which is again initially developed by Facebook!"

• It was more of your claim that Facebook was "good", than the fact that they turned PHP into pseudocode and executed it. First, Facebook made "HipHop", which would compile PHP into something which was less, uh, well, overhead and slow... and now it's HHVM.

Claiming Facebook is running PHP is like claiming every computer runs on C.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@WSS said:
    It was more of your claim that Facebook was "good", than the fact that they turned PHP into pseudocode and executed it. First, Facebook made "HipHop", which would compile PHP into something which was less, uh, well, overhead and slow... and now it's HHVM.

Claiming Facebook is running PHP is like claiming every computer runs on C.

Ahh, I see what you mean now.

They did start using pure PHP, then they obviously modified all stuff as per their needs, including releasing their own programming languages. Thing is, good things can be done using PHP, and can scale as any other language tbh.

• Please stop calling Facebook "good things".

@WSS said:
    Please stop calling Facebook "good things".

<3 IT!!!

• @MikePT you do know intestinal parasites feed from human shit right? Doesn't make neither the parasites nor the shit good though.

• @jcaleb said:
    what is zero downtime?

A theoretical ideal.