Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Home Network issues any idea?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Home Network issues any idea?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited September 2017 in General

So recently Ive been disconnected by my home LAN Network pretty often. Always "no valid ip configuration". I use TP Link Dlan adapters to get LAN in my room so perhaps it is that. Wifi keeps working just (D)Lan randomly disconnects. After router restart, or several reboots or cmd ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /renew it works again. But still this is a pita. Any ideas what I can do at this rate? Do you think it is the TP link adapter (both adapters the one at router and at pc show green lights though when the lan network fails which indicates they are working). Any tips?

I should add that mostly if lan faily ipv4 fails. I can still ping ipv6 websites.

Kind regards,
Ympker

Comments

• Ympker said: TP Link

Well here's the problem.

If it's a consumer product - then turn off DHCP & assign a static IP to your devices, that should help mitigate the issue.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • tp link dlan shit is always the problem. If you're using dlan in two different current circuits it will not work or really bad.
    Take the good old cable, make some holes :D

Thanked by 2Ympker pike
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2017

The fuck is "Dlan"? No, really?
    If you mean powerline networking, nobody calls that "dlan" aside from... Devolo, for whom that's their own product name (and who are also not TP-Link).

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@rm_ said:
    The fuck is "Dlan"? No, really?

Powerline adapter that emits wifi

• Older TP-Link powerline adapters seem to work much better than the newer ones. All of the newer ones from every brand suck.

rm_ said: The fuck is "Dlan"? No, really?

It's a brand name for a powerline network adapter. I don't know why they're being referenced as (brandname) (brandname) here though.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2017

graphic said: in two different current circuits it will not work or really bad

And - oh yeah, just accidentally tested the TP-Link powerline stuff recently across two of the electrical circuits which I have connected (only realizing that afterwards), and it works much much worse than WiFi over the same distance. Staying within one circuit, the "PA500" product worked fine, though it only did like 30-40 Mbit at most (nowhere near "500").

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Yeah I mean TP Link Powerline adapters or whatever. Oddly enough we had some old devolo dlan adapters which I think worked more reliable. Just not having a 1 Gbits port while the TP link pushes more bw.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited September 2017

Suck it up and run some Cat6.

@Ympker said:
    I should add that mostly if lan faily ipv4 fails. I can still ping ipv6 websites.

This makes no sense. If something's breaking TCP, it should be broken on both parts- unless you have something else either in your client's IPv4 (LSP on Windows), or something else faulting in your hardware somewhere from the router, Powerline, and finally host PC.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2017

@WSS said:
    Suck it up and run some Cat6.

@Ympker said:

This makes no sense. If something's breaking TCP, it should be broken on both parts- unless you have something else either in your client's IPv4 (LSP on Windows), or something else faulting in your hardware somewhere from the router, Powerline, and finally host PC.

Yeah ikr? I guess I will try reinstalling network drivers. Cat6 from basement till 1st floor wont be possible unfortunately unless building 2 new wholes in basement and on 1st floor as the cable mustn't reach through all the other rooms on it's way.

@rm_ Ive got a TP Link adapter with supposedly 1 Gbits throughput and get 90 mbits max.

• How thick are the floors? Why not just place a strong wireless 5Ghz somewhere centralized with a couple repeaters as necessary?

• @WSS said:
    How thick are the floors? Why not just place a strong wireless 5Ghz somewhere centralized with a couple repeaters as necessary?

So I have a wireless dualband wifi repeater on ground floor but my room is on first floor and 5ghz doesn't reach there.

• I assume a finished basement, then? If unfinished, or a false roof, I'd literally stick the router as close to the ceiling of the basement as possible.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @WSS said:
    I assume a finished basement, then? If unfinished, or a false roof, I'd literally stick the router as close to the ceiling of the basement as possible.

It's a finished basement. But I guess in this case my PCs wifi stick and laptops wifi card is just too bad because my One Plus 3 can connect to the 5ghz wifi on first floor just not my pc and laptop which sux

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2017

Are you using PPPoE with TP-Link router?

TP-Link has issues with PPPoE dual stack (IPv4 + native IPv6). It causes random resets of PPPoE connection with IPv4 while it reinitializes IPv6, so IPv6 works but IPv4 does not, then it resets again. This only happens with stock firmware though; if you use custom firmware (OpenWRT or LEDE) issues will disappear, but take great care not to brick your device (if you decide to go with a custom firmware).

Thanked by 2Ympker WSS
  • @WSS said:
    How thick are the floors? Why not just place a strong wireless 5Ghz somewhere centralized with a couple repeaters as necessary?

^ this. With a decent router, you should be able to go from Wifi back to Ethernet.

• @doghouch said:

@WSS said:

^ this. With a decent router, you should be able to go from Wifi back to Ethernet.

Router is the one we got from Vodafone which unfortunately is a cable FritzBox 6490

• @Ympker said:

@doghouch said:

@WSS said:

Router is the one we got from Vodafone which unfortunately is a cable FritzBox 6490

If you absolutely need ethernet access upstairs, you should plug in ex. an AirPort Base, then use an AirPort Express to convert the base station WiFi signal back to ethernet. (You can plug in a switch after)

• @doghouch said:

@Ympker said:

@doghouch said:

@WSS said:

If you absolutely need ethernet access upstairs, you should plug in ex. an AirPort Base, then use an AirPort Express to convert the base station WiFi signal back to ethernet. (You can plug in a switch after)

Nah I asked a neighbour if I can borrow his 5ghz wifi usb stick to test and I can connect to 5ghz wifi now without problems. Sticking with this now :)

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @Ympker said
    Nah I asked a neighbour if I can borrow his 5ghz wifi usb stick to test and I can connect to 5ghz wifi now without problems. Sticking with this now :)

Borrow the adapter permanently

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • If a USB stick is working OK without issues, I wouldn't blame the network at all beyond that device, then. Get some decent (not no-name) wireless adapters with an external antenna. You will probably be able to roam all over with that.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @WSS said:
    If a USB stick is working OK without issues, I wouldn't blame the network at all beyond that device, then. Get some decent (not no-name) wireless adapters with an external antenna. You will probably be able to roam all over with that.

Yeah I guess I will get smth like that^^ Well the TP Link Powerline adapters or the network seem still to be failing randomly when trying to use LAN but Im gonna use wifi I guess^^