Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated UK server with unlimited 1gbit bandwidth - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated UK server with unlimited 1gbit bandwidth

2»

Comments

• @thistle said:
    BTW I added the

(truly)

so it is not really a "beat"

• @thistle said:
    BTW I added the

(truly)

so it is not really a "beat"

There is nothing "truly" unmetered about the unmetered 1Gbps bandwidth Hetzner provides.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

So In fact it seems to me that we offer more BW on our metered plans than Hetzner oncheir unmetered :p

• @Clouvider said:
    So In fact it seems to me that we offer more BW on our metered plans than Hetzner oncheir unmetered :p

Hetzner doesn't count inbound bw

• @teamacc said:

@Clouvider said:

Hetzner doesn't count inbound bw

Who the fuck does?

• @Clouvider

While I largely agree with what you said, there is a factor of high importance that you forgot: peered bandwidth of which a large hoster like Hetzner has plenty.

Depending on the clientele Hetzners offer might actually come darn close to "truly unmetered". Example: Hetzner has peerings with most large german ISPs, so if one used ones server to, say, serve files mainly to german users most of the traffic would go through peerings rather than through he, gts, etc.

Moreover Hetzner, of course, sees the big picture. Having, say 1000 customers each with 1 Gb, however, 95+% hardly using a small fraction the occasional massively pumping customer is easily compensated.

Plus, there is the rule of thumb that a site with truly massive data throughput also strongly tends to be well known. Having them mention "I'm with Hetzner" is pretty valuable in terms of marketing.

That said I guess that most of those "need 100+TB" or "need unmetered 1 Gb" (cheap, of course) cases are rather theoretical anyway. Due to lousily configured OS, poor software stack and not exactly good code most of those sites do not even come close to pumping 1 Gb/s. This is particularly true with i7 or low end xeon boxen. Those usually suffocate quite early due to php or similar. Plus, of course, the assumption re. the market for a project often turn out to be overly optimistic and such sites often turn out to pump more in the range of a couple of 10 TB/month.

Thanked by 1thistle
  • @bsdguy said:

Hetzner has peerings with most large german ISPs

Hetzner doesn't even peer (directly) with DTAG which is the biggest ISP in Germany.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Hm? They charge equally for the peered and transit BW ? They effectively limit it to 20TB ? I don’t see how this is relevant ?

• thistlethistle Member
    edited September 2017

What is the difference between peered and transit? I am guessing peered is a deal with all the German ISPs which makes it not count towards used bandwidth? and transit is to external ISPs? Very interested by all this. Like I am very confused as to whether there is a speed limit to the whole internet? Who sets the limits and what are the point of them is it purely financial reasons - people pay more to have faster speeds and in turn pay for the cables etc.... Like netflix must have lots and lots of 10gbit servers right? So the stream speed is 4mbps for a 720p show which is 2500 people can watch the same show? Is there anywhere I can read up more about bandwidth and the globe etc... haha? Sorry for the ramble I hope it makes sense!

• Like the bandwidth across the pacific is 4TB** per second? so that is 40 10gbit servers communicating with each other over the pacific?

**possible fake news

• user54321user54321 Member
    edited September 2017

@lion said:

@bsdguy said:

Hetzner has peerings with most large german ISPs

Hetzner doesn't even peer (directly) with DTAG which is the biggest ISP in Germany.

Reaching DTAG via Transit is cheaper than a peering with them, they don't do settlement free peering. (https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Double_Paid_Traffic/en) Same for LGI(Unitymedia), Vodafone and so on.
    You can reach other hosters like OVH and very small enduser ISPs via settlement free peering but not the big ones which generate the most traffic.

Thanked by 1thistle
  • user54321user54321 Member
    edited September 2017

@thistle said:
    Is there anywhere I can read up more about bandwidth and the globe etc... haha?

http://drpeering.net/

https://blog.cloudflare.com/bandwidth-costs-around-the-world/

@thistle said:
    Like the bandwidth across the pacific is 4TB** per second? so that is 40 10gbit servers communicating with each other over the pacific?

https://www.submarinecablemap.com/

Thanked by 1thistle
  • @user54321 thank you so much

• a) but still peering is usually considerably cheaper than buying transit
    b) dtag is known to be a hog re. peering but there are some cost reduction possibilities like through gts, backbone-less in situ pop transit, etc.
    c) Even with paid peering the laws of scale are relevant.
    d) neither Kabel Deutschland nor telefonica are small fries and both have private peerings.
    e) "1 Gb" can mean a lot. It can mean high priority, best carrier or it can mean low prio, cheapest route or anything in between
    f) By far not all sites are as sensitive as e.g. youtube. Many can live very well with cheap and (relatively) slow routes to blackmailers like dtag.

Again, my intention was not to counter Clouvider, not at all, and I said so clearly. But there are more factors in the game, particularly with a large hoster.

Thanked by 1Clouvider