Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OnApp?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OnApp?

Has anyone personally ever used OnApp, if so how do you like them & what problems have you had with them, & would you recommend them to someone else. What are you Pros & Cons on OnApp.

Thanked by 1cenourinha

Comments

• Is this a joke?

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • @doghouch said:
    Is this a joke?

Does it sound like a joke? I am looking to use OnApp, & that's why I decided to ask, so I could hear everyone opinion about OnApp.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I don't think anybody on this site will have a single good thing to say about OnApp as a company and anybody using the OnApp software most likely won't post how they really feel out of fear they will lose support which is needed because the next time they update their software they will need to get support to fix what the update broke.

Thanked by 2doghouch sarah
  • @ValuedCloud said:

@doghouch said:
    Is this a joke?

Does it sound like a joke? I am looking to use OnApp, & that's why I decided to ask, so I could hear everyone opinion about OnApp.

I didn't want it to be against you or anything-just that you should know it took OnApp many years to update SolusVM. (and they've missed the V2 launch quite a few times now)

Now if you don't plan on using Solus, rather OnApp itself, you should be fine. Just keep in mind that updates are sluggish and the only excuse @OnApp_Terry can come up with is that it'll come eventually.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2017

Are you asking about OnApp as a company or OnApp as software? That will give you better responses probably.

I don't use OnApp but it's a premium product at a premium price.

• @MikeA said:
    Are you asking about OnApp as a company or OnApp as software? That will give you better responses probably.

I don't use OnApp but it's a premium product at a premium price.

I am asking about both.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2017

ValuedCloud said: I am asking about both.

OnApp as a company is in massive debt and is almost completely owned by a bank now, they have a handful of customers they give a crap about and based on the fact that you are here asking and they are not at your door begging, you will not be one of them.

You frankly would be better off shitting in your hands and clapping.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

AnthonySmith said: You frankly would be better off shitting in your hands and clapping.

LOL!

I've not used OnApp in production but a few years ago I tried getting a test system up and running and it was just terrible. Full of bugs, and no support. I gave up on it and decided to go for Virtuozzo instead.

• jhjh Member
    edited September 2017

I used the software for a while years ago. I liked the software and the generally direction but yes, there were a lot of bugs that needed their support and eventually they told all of their customers paying under about $300/ month via a mailing list that they'd have to cough up $500/ month to keep issuing it (tenfold increase in my case as I was paying for a properly maintained alternative to SolusVM).

There is a lot of tie-in with OnApp - if you ever want to move away from it, you'll have to start working nights.

I would consider a vmware starter pack, Proxmox or rolling your own depending on your needs.

• @AnthonySmith said:

OnApp as a company is in massive debt and is almost completely owned by a bank now, they have a handful of customers they give a crap about and based on the fact that you are here asking and they are not at your door begging, you will not be one of them.

Do you have any proof about this massive debt & completely owned by a bank?

edited September 2017

ValuedCloud said: Do you have any proof about this massive debt & completely owned by a bank?

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07656785/filing-history

Read the document 19 MAY 2017 and if I remember reading it right Lloyds Development Capital (an arm of Lloyds bank) own about 70%+ of the company.

In reality given the ridiculous intricacy of their accounts, filings, loans, shares, etc etc this is probably all just a big loophole to avoid paying any tax.. but on paper, it is what it is.

They have million pound plus deficits and apparently lose about half a million p/year for at least the last 4 years :) sounds legit.

• @AnthonySmith What if I don’t want to get crap all over the place? Will wearing gloves and throwing it at OnApp be more suitable?

• @AnthonySmith not just because your host my VPN server, you are becoming one of my favorite people online with your responses.

edited September 2017

Harzem said: @AnthonySmith not just because your host my VPN server, you are becoming one of my favorite people online with your responses.

I do? nice one, I am a bit of a blunt instrument sometimes, I don't usually hold back for the sake of sounding 'professional' we are all just people at the end of the day and I am not always right (happy to admit when I am wrong too)

My personality is not always the best thing for the business to be fair :)

• AnthonySmith said: I do? nice one, I am a bit of a blunt instrument sometimes, I don't usually hold back for the sake of sounding 'professional' we are all just people at the end of the day and I am not always right (happy to admit when I am wrong too)

>

My former business partner (who is still a close friend) was exactly like this. When there was an angry customer, I would forward the ticket to him and he would respond just as angrily. He hardly ever sounded professional. But he is a great guy and the best damn server admin I know. Too bad he is too busy with a new life.

I've always been the professional one, but I usually needed someone like him in various situations.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Harzem said:

AnthonySmith said: I do? nice one, I am a bit of a blunt instrument sometimes, I don't usually hold back for the sake of sounding 'professional' we are all just people at the end of the day and I am not always right (happy to admit when I am wrong too)

>

My former business partner (who is still a close friend) was exactly like this. When there was an angry customer, I would forward the ticket to him and he would respond just as angrily. He hardly ever sounded professional. But he is a great guy and the best damn server admin I know. Too bad he is too busy with a new life.

I've always been the professional one, but I usually needed someone like him in various situations.

You're making it sound like someone who is blunt and straight forward can't be professional. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather someone be up front and tell me I'm being a dumbass when I am. I'd take that, over someone who is a kiss ass and just puts up a facade around me, any day of the week. Especially in a subject that they are obviously more knowledgeable about (i.e. hosting, networks, etc.)

• OnApp_TerryOnApp_Terry Member
    edited September 2017

@ValuedCloud said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Do you have any proof about this massive debt & completely owned by a bank?

@ValuedCloud – if you’d like to learn more about the OnApp cloud platform, and hear from people who actually use it (rather than this kind of hearsay) - I’d be very happy to talk, set up a demo, put you in touch with our management – whatever you need. Happy to help!

edited September 2017

OnApp_Terry said: rather than this kind of hearsay

public official accounts and shareholder information are heresy now?

OnApp_Terry said: hear from people who actually use it

"I've not used OnApp in production but a few years ago I tried getting a test system up and running and it was just terrible. "

"there were a lot of bugs that needed their support and eventually they told all of their customers paying under about $300/ month via a mailing list that they'd have to cough up $500/ month to keep issuing it"

It's like you think the way you handle one product line cannot negatively impact your others, that's just ignorant, ask burstnet, ask colocrossing.

Ever the salesman though, I get it, say black is white until your belive it yourself.

Thanked by 1pcfreak30
  • OnApp_TerryOnApp_Terry Member
    edited September 2017

@AnthonySmith – people sometimes get their facts wrong. And here, you are making statements about OnApp that are factually incorrect. Let’s clear these up for you:

OnApp (TOPCO) Limited is a company majority owned by Lloyds for their investment in OnApp. In turn, OnApp (TOPCO) has a minority stake in OnApp Limited. We're growing fast and are cashflow positive.

edited September 2017

OnApp_Terry said: OnApp (TOPCO) Limited is a company majority owned by Lloyds

And I said:

AnthonySmith said: OnApp as a company is in massive debt and is almost completely owned by a bank now,

Your accounts show a deficit of about 4 million with losses of around half a million p/year, what part is factually incorrect?

thanks for clearing that up.

• AnthonySmith said: Your accounts show a deficit of about 4 million with losses of around half a million p/year, what part is factually incorrect?

To be fair to OnApp, Companies House isn't a great source of information for how a company's financials are right now. Accounts at CH are generally 1-2 years out of date and companies are incentivised to employ accounting tricks to make their profit look as small as possible / loss look as large as possible to keep their tax bill down.

Yep I appreciate that and that is very true, but showing huge losses in your accounts for the last 6 years while the ownership percentage of lloyds bank increases, it is what it is and it is the only source of official info.

I am about 99% certain that this is just a huge tax evasion tactic (fair enough) but one does not normally give controlling shares to a bank just to reduce a tax bill.

• jh said: companies are incentivised to employ accounting tricks to make their profit look as small as possible / loss look as large as possible to keep their tax bill down.

This.

Once you have a balance sheet of at least a couple of million - your tax planning becomes extremely important.

• Say what you will, but Lloyds makes delicious bbq pork.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2017

AnthonySmith said: Your accounts show a deficit of about 4 million with losses of around half a million p/year, what part is factually incorrect?

If you trace it all back to the correct points and through the right jurisdictions it's actually not that bad. You need a better tool though to really understand what is going on, companies house is just for simple UK look-ups.