Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nextloud/Owncloud in small vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nextloud/Owncloud in small vps

Hello, does anybody here has experience running Owncloud or nextcloud (a recent version) in a small memory VPS, 128mb OpenVZ.
I'm thinking in buying the 128mb storage plan from liteserver, but i'm not sure if will be able to hold on.
My maximum userbase will be 10 user's.

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2017

thekreek said: small memory VPS

NextCloud it will be very slow as required decent amount of memory. We tested on Centos 6 + LEMP (without MySQL) and 512 MB RAM, it continuously use 512 MB used with additional 256.27 MB cache memory and 162.66 MB VSwap.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • 128MB/most storage plans are inadequate for running *Cloud. They're somewhat CPU and quite memory hungry. You'd be better off just renting a cheap Kimsufi,

Thanked by 1bersy
  • I'm running a 1 user Nextcloud instance (recently updated to Nextcloud from owncloud) on a 128MB Ramnode VPS, for the past 3 years without issues. It is quite memory heavy and I notice it's using my full 128MB (obviously) but I don't notice any performance decrease, I'm only using it for small doc files though.

• aaraya1516aaraya1516 Member
    edited March 2018

Currently I'm on a KVM VPS with 2CPU, 2GB RAM, and spinner disks without complaints. I had it on a 3GB 4vCPU OVZ from snipped and it wouldn't even load the login page. NOTE: snipped is horribly oversold.

EDIT: I have a separate VPS for MySQL hosting.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited March 2018

@aaraya1516 said: I had it on a 3GB 4vCPU OVZ from snipped and it wouldn't even load the login page. NOTE: snipped is horribly oversold.

Thanks, we were beginning to suspect this!

• @thekreek said: does anybody here has experience running Owncloud or nextcloud (a recent version) in a small memory VPS, 128mb OpenVZ.

As others have said, it would be better not to. One user with SQlite -- maybe just. But ten users with (I presume) MySQL -- forget it.

To quote from the manual for Nextcloud 12 ( https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/12/admin_manual/installation/system_requirements.html ):

Memory requirements for running an Nextcloud server are greatly variable, depending on the numbers of users and files, and volume of server activity. Nextcloud needs a minimum of 128MB RAM, and we recommend a minimum of 512MB.

• @Falco33 can you share a little more details on your configuration and use case?

• Falco33Falco33 Member
    edited September 2017

@thekreek said:
    @Falco33 can you share a little more details on your configuration and use case?

I believe it's the default configuration. I'm not entirely sure as I haven't touched the configuration file for quite a while. I'm using it to backup/sync doc files from my home computer to laptop and the other way around. A few syncs a day, and only one user (me) uses it.

• @Falco33 and your stack configuration is?
    Nginx, apache, lighttpd, something else, mysql, sqlite, mariadb, PHP version?

• @thekreek said:
    @Falco33 and your stack configuration is?
    Nginx, apache, lighttpd, something else, mysql, sqlite, mariadb, PHP version?

Apache, sqlite3 and PHP 5.6.

• thekreek said: Nginx, apache, lighttpd, something else, mysql, sqlite, mariadb, PHP version?

>

as @angstrom said, sqlite will probably not be sufficient with 10 very active users on a production environment.

• @Falco33, apache as your main server.
    Wow, my respects on the customization of your setup, it must have taken you a bit of time to find the best settings.
    If you dont mind, wich distro are you using and how did you setup apache?