Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM Updates!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM Updates!

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
edited September 2017 in General

Comments

• Great Job.

I'd be pissed if I'd waited this long for that update as a paying customer.

• I already have v1.20.1 since around 6 months ago so yeah lol.

• JSCLJSCL Member, Host Rep

Just need to see what Anthony makes of it now... :)

• ratherbak3dratherbak3d Member
    edited September 2017

JSCL said: Just need to see what Anthony makes of it now... :)

That's what we're all here for. C'mon @AnthonySmith.

• @AnthonySmith will probably say something like "Too little, too late."

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited September 2017

@JSCL said:
    Just need to see what Anthony makes of it now... :)
    @ratherbak3d said:

JSCL said: Just need to see what Anthony makes of it now... :)

That's what we're all here for. C'mon @AnthonySmith.
    @angstrom said:
    @AnthonySmith will probably say something like "Too little, too late."

I think you are all missing the fact that 1.19 was released nearly a year ago, we're at 1.20.1 at the mainline branch so i'm sure AnthonySmith already has 1.19.

The email SolusVM sent is written in a way as if 1.19 was just released but its been released around a year ago - 1.19 was just promoted from the mainline branch to the stable branch - nothing more than that.

To be exact 1.19.01 was released on 12 Oct 2016 - https://documentation.solusvm.com/display/DOCS/v1.19#v1.19-1.19.01 and the last version of 1.19 was released on 1 Mar 2017.

1.20.01 is the latest released version and 1.20.02 is expected to be released today - https://documentation.solusvm.com/display/DOCS/v1.20

Thanked by 2telephone Falzo
  • In other news, world peace discussion forum just started and scientist are thinking they might find a cure for all the diseases

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Wow added Virtuozzo 7 support, I thought it will be new version as it's bugs update nothing to discuss and talk about - exactly the same as iOS has been upgraded to 10.3.3

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2017

I don't mean to piss on your dinner mate, but these "fixes" and "improvements" have been available for ages in mainline, some for literally a year or more and a lot of the "fixes" actually cause other issues or don't work at all.

All they have done is a wiki release note, made it look like this is recent work and called it 1.19.00 and "stable" meanwhile anyone with an ounce of sense has been on at least 1.20.xx for about 6 months or more and if they are not then customer data has been vulnerable.

I suspect this was just a marketing spin release because they have missed the summer 2017 release they promised and we are now officially over 3 years since onapp bought SolusVM and all they have done is impeded progress, slowed support and been caught in lie after lie about solusvm v2.

For those unaware, solusvm v1 has 3 branches, stable (which is actually the least stable with the most problems), Mainline, which is actually fairly stable but with long term bugs, and beta, with is well.. beta.

You can change versions with upcp 1,2 or 3 from the master.

I believe v1.20.02 is about to hit mainline as well any day, it has been ready about 4 months but while they are concentrating on updating version numbers to make it look they are doing something I expect that will be next.

Thanked by 4telephone Falzo WSS Kris
    edited September 2017

Also worth noting, this is the first time solusvm has ever sent a bulk email about a version update, perhaps they are feeling a bit irrelevant these days.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: I suspect this was just a marketing spin release because they have missed the summer 2017 release they promised

Not yet.

@OnApp_Terry promised us that 2.0 would be released summer 2017. Tomorrow's the last day. That means...

SOLUS 2.0 IS BEING RELEASED TOMORROW!

It's so exciting.

@OnApp_Terry will there be balloons? Ribbon-cutting ceremony?

I mean, the only alternative would be that Solus and @OnApp_Terry will be breaking yet another promise...I'm sure that's not the case.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Virtuozzo 7 wasn't there before?

• @Clouvider said:

It was in 1.20 mainline.

There are a few additional bug fixes that weren't in mainline. Adding the API call for port speed is the primary addition.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • You promised SolusVM 2.0 release tomorrow, where is it buster!!!

Clouvider said: Virtuozzo 7 wasn't there before?

They released about 10% of the features in the worst way possible ages ago and its badly broken, which is probably why its in stable now :)

raindog308 said: @OnApp_Terry promised us that 2.0 would be released summer 2017. Tomorrow's the last day. That means...

He confirmed yesterday that there is still a fair bit to do and he would be missing the deadline, obviously his customers needed him to prompt him to share that info sadly.

Based on the fact a code check has not even been done yet, my best guess knowing that even a KVM template takes 3+ months to create, check and release I would say probably around May - June 2018

You can pretty much ignore any expectation terry sets, he clearly has no control or influence, the real control and power is with Phill, when he is ready it will be ready, he has absolutely no incentive to make that any time soon though, as it releasing it will do is increase his workload with support.

Meanwhile, Ditlev is like: image

Thanked by 1cassa
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@raindog308 said:

It's so exciting.

• raindog308 said: @OnApp_Terry promised us that 2.0 would be released summer 2017. Tomorrow's the last day. That means...

To make everyone happy, change the logo and call it v2.0.

/s

• Do you have any idea how long it took them to hexedit 1.19 to 1.20?

Thanked by 1Arch
  • 4 years

• It also took a long time for KDE 4 to become usable.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@OnApp_Terry said:

@Clouvider said:

It was in 1.20 mainline.

There are a few additional bug fixes that weren't in mainline. Adding the API call for port speed is the primary addition.

Shame that the limit/port speed feature has never worked for IPv6 and this limitation was never in the documentation. I raised this problem with SolusVM support and they didn't think it was a problem.

I had a browse through the documentation just now - and it looks like this limitation still isn't documented.

• Does SolusVM use tc for speed limits?

• @jackb said:

@OnApp_Terry said:

@Clouvider said:

It was in 1.20 mainline.

Shame that the limit/port speed feature has never worked for IPv6 and this limitation was never in the documentation. I raised this problem with SolusVM support and they didn't think it was a problem.

I had a browse through the documentation just now - and it looks like this limitation still isn't documented.

PM your account, and I'll take a look. Ticket ID will be easiest to find it, but if you don't have it on hand, I can look through all of them to find it.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@Ishaq said:
    Does SolusVM use tc for speed limits?

Yes, I presume this is why it doesn't work for IPv6 (standard version of tc on CentOS 6 does not have IPv6 support. Later tc does.)

@OnApp_Terry said:
    PM your account, and I'll take a look. Ticket ID will be easiest to find it, but if you don't have it on hand, I can look through all of them to find it.

Sure, done.

• edited September 2017

Come on guys. Give them a break. They have a whole team of at least one guy working on it....part time, when he's not busy with other projects. So they are working as hard as they can and throwing everything they have at it.

BTW, Virtuozzo 7 is the commercial product. I am pretty sure they mean OpenVZ 7. So they can't even get their terminology straight. Doesn't give me much confidence in how well that feature is tested.

I used to be a Solus fan and cheeleader btw. Not a basher until recently.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: I don't mean to piss on your dinner mate

"But I'm going to do so right now."

Damn, savage :P

• @jarland said:

AnthonySmith said: I don't mean to piss on your dinner mate

"But I'm going to do so right now."

Damn, savage :P

You gotta love the kid.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Sowie... Just posted the email I have received :p

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith

MikePT said: Sowie... Just posted the email I have received :p

lol no worries, interesting that its the first one you have had about a solusvm update that actually happened in 3 years though eh, even if it was only a version number that got updates haha.