Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have I been shafted by Amazon EC2 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Have I been shafted by Amazon EC2

2»

Comments

• I couldn't care less about the $1.30 but I couldn't understand how a Linux VPS that was idleing generated 2 million I/O operations. I did 4-5 OS installs and some of the posters think that may have done it. I asked them in an email about I/O and they didn't tell me what caused this. I really don't want to use EC2 anymore, as if an idle server generated 2 million I/O, what would a server in use generate? Shame really as it was in Ireland so had really low latency.

• @Janevski said:
    What about if somebody got DoSed on the Amazon cloud? They could bill a fortune out of the end user.

Their own fault.

• @awson said:
    Their own fault.

If predictable or they are messing about with their VPS, then yes, their own fault. But if not or someone gets the wrong IP and DoS's it, then not their own fault?

• @asterisk14 said:
    I couldn't care less about the $1.30 but I couldn't understand how a Linux VPS that was idleing generated 2 million I/O operations. I did 4-5 OS installs and some of the posters think that may have done it. I asked them in an email about I/O and they didn't tell me what caused this. I really don't want to use EC2 anymore, as if an idle server generated 2 million I/O, what would a server in use generate? Shame really as it was in Ireland so had really low latency.

Why not to study that instead?

You saw the stats of my instance. That's instance performing very heavy backup operations, running Subversion and so on. But I am not surprised, I indeed generate many I/O operations, even though I have optimized the instance to reduce them.

If Linux instance wasn't properly tuned, if there were unnecessary logs etc, it could result in unnecessary I/O. If swapping is used, there will be I/O.

When using Amazon EC2, EBS should be used mostly as rarely accessed storage media, wherever possible. They provide so called ephemeral storage for that purpose, it doesn't count towards EBS I/O consumed.

Once again, perhaps you should study why your Linux setups were so active in disk I/O. That would definitely help you in general, since reducing I/O activity would never hurt.

I suppose that's more productive than refusing using EC2/EBS. But of course you are who decides.