Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LunarVPS Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LunarVPS Review

l2o88jl2o88j Member
edited September 2017 in Reviews

This is my short review on the LunarVPS

Ordered a KVM 512MB plan. After payment, it was activated in few minutes. I thought everything was going fine.

After logging to the solusvm panel and found that the IP provided to me was not at all pinging

They initially said it as a template issue
After fixing the issue, i got a VM with 40 gb of storage instead of 50gb.
When i try to reinstall again with Ubuntu 14 LTS, it was not booting
After raising a support ticket i got the below response.

Could you please let us know the changes you have done on the server before the reboot? It seems to be you have edited grub and then rebooted the server.

Continuous reboots on the server will cause OS corruption and filesystem errors on the server.

I have restarted 2 or 3 times only. Again they have installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS from their end and gave the below response

Do not reboot the server again and again. It will cause file system error. If you want to reinstall the OS, please let us know. We will do that for you.

For these actions(stop/start/install) only there is a vm control panel. I am puzzled by their response.

Now there is an IO issue which prohibits writing anything to disk and the team is looking into it.

But the good thing about the host is, your support tickets are answered shortly and they have better follow ups.

Anyone having servers with them and if so please share your stories, so that it ll help me.

Comments

• l2o88j said: Continuous reboots on the server will cause OS corruption and filesystem errors on the server.

Err... I'd run away right about here.

Thanked by 2sin caracal
  • This is not a review, more like "My problem with LunarVPS"

• Aidan said: Err... I'd run away right about here.

Same! If a host gave me that answer I would just cancel and chalk it up as a loss.

• EmilEmil Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

Kind of sad that they had to completely rip off our old site. Some paragraphs are still completely identical, only replacing HostHatch with LunarVPS. Pretty positive that we sent a DMCA a year or so ago and then forgot about it, but the design is still up and the name rung a bell when I saw this thread.

They must've used a tool to clone it. The CSS, HTML, most of it is identical except the edits they've made. Their /datacenters page does not exist anymore and datacenters.html is updated, but it used to be an exact copy of ours, even test URLs saying mirror.ams.hosthatch.com and pointing to our test IPs with all our data center information, instead of theirs. The page wasn't linked anywhere on their site, I guess it just came along in the cloning process. Unfortunately, I can't find the page cached on Google on Archive.org. Wish I had saved that screenshot.

But there's still no doubt that it's a rip-off. There are so many examples. I uploaded here if anyone wants to verify: https://31.220.42.15. The "Contact Us" page is a good one. I also like the drop-down menu.

There's still some of our color codes left. You forgot to change the brown (#5f4b41) body background to something else. I guess blue or dark gray would suit your website better? Oh and then there are the icons on the OpenVZ SSD VPS page. You changed the text but not the icons. The credit card icon doesn't really match the Operating Systems information. If you are going to rip off a site, at least do it right.

Thanked by 1Rhys
  • niknik Member, Host Rep

@Emil said:
    Kind of sad that they had to completely rip off our old site. Some paragraphs are still completely identical, only replacing HostHatch with LunarVPS. Pretty positive that we sent a DMCA a year or so ago and then forgot about it, but the design is still up and the name rung a bell when I saw this thread.

They must've used a tool to clone it. The CSS, HTML, most of it is identical except the edits they've made. Their /datacenters page does not exist anymore and datacenters.html is updated, but it used to be an exact copy of ours, even test URLs saying mirror.ams.hosthatch.com and pointing to our test IPs with all our data center information, instead of theirs. The page wasn't linked anywhere on their site, I guess it just came along in the cloning process. Unfortunately, I can't find the page cached on Google on Archive.org. Wish I had saved that screenshot.

But there's still no doubt that it's a rip-off. There are so many examples. I uploaded here if anyone wants to verify: https://31.220.42.15. The "Contact Us" page is a good one. I also like the drop-down menu.

There's still some of our color codes left. You forgot to change the brown (#5f4b41) body background to something else. I guess blue or dark gray would suit your website better? Oh and then there are the icons on the OpenVZ SSD VPS page. You changed the text but not the icons. The credit card icon doesn't really match the Operating Systems information. If you are going to rip off a site, at least do it right.

Quite funny, I thought it would be some themeforest theme, since I saw it multiple times already.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • EmilEmil Member, Host Rep

Really? I'm flattered! :) It's made by us in-house a few years ago. Where have you seen it?

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • wget -r -np #instant summerhost

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Just received refund after 3 weeks..