Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Caddy webserver goes south - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Caddy webserver goes south

Comments

• drop it :)

@MikePT said:

@eva2000 said:

MikePT said: General issue here are the headers...

Or that they're forced in Caddy official binaries ? cause every open source web server has an identifying server HTTP header as well - nginx, litespeed and apache. You can generally remove the identifying version number, but the web server itself is still shown in nginx and apache HTTP server header.

They do, but still. Just an advice tho.

• MikePT said: They do, but still. Just an advice tho.

noted..

Just sat down to read Caddy EULA which applies to their official Caddy binaries and conclusion for me is I probably need to build my own source binaries anyway https://github.com/mholt/caddy/blob/master/dist/EULA.txt

3.1 You SHALL NOT, and shall not allow any third party, to:

>

(h) publicly disseminate performance information or analysis (including, without limitation, benchmarks) from any source relating to the Software;

so I shouldn't have published benchmarks for official Caddy binaries ? Never came across a EULA that prohibits benchmark info sharing ?

3.2 UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MAY YOU USE THE SOFTWARE AS PART OF A PRODUCT OR SERVICE THAT PROVIDES IDENTICAL OR SIMILAR FUNCTIONALITY TO THE SOFTWARE ITSELF.

I'm trying to combine/integrate several web servers under the one roof/server - nginx, openlitespeed, litespeed, apache 2.4, caddy and/or h2o.

Thanked by 4Aidan MikePT rm_ WSS
  • (h) publicly disseminate performance information or analysis (including, without limitation, benchmarks) from any source relating to the Software;

This is utter bullshit.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Won't debian/ubuntu/arch compile their own binaries anyway. Why does the EULA matter? shrug

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@eva2000 said:

MikePT said: They do, but still. Just an advice tho.

noted..

Just sat down to read Caddy EULA which applies to their official Caddy binaries and conclusion for me is I probably need to build my own source binaries anyway https://github.com/mholt/caddy/blob/master/dist/EULA.txt

3.1 You SHALL NOT, and shall not allow any third party, to:

>

(h) publicly disseminate performance information or analysis (including, without limitation, benchmarks) from any source relating to the Software;

so I shouldn't have published benchmarks for official Caddy binaries ? Never came across a EULA that prohibits benchmark info sharing ?

3.2 UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MAY YOU USE THE SOFTWARE AS PART OF A PRODUCT OR SERVICE THAT PROVIDES IDENTICAL OR SIMILAR FUNCTIONALITY TO THE SOFTWARE ITSELF.

I'm trying to combine/integrate several web servers under the one roof/server - nginx, openlitespeed, litespeed, apache 2.4, caddy and/or h2o.

No idea. It's too messed up right now.

• @sarah said:
    Won't debian/ubuntu/arch compile their own binaries anyway. Why does the EULA matter? shrug

True, but pretty sure most folks right now are getting their Caddy binaries from official builds.

Confirmed with Matt, official Caddy binaries and EULA now prohibit benchmark results from being published or shared https://caddy.community/t/caddy-eula-section-3-1-h-benchmarking-info-clarification/2727

• @eva2000 said:

@sarah said:
    Won't debian/ubuntu/arch compile their own binaries anyway. Why does the EULA matter? shrug

True, but pretty sure most folks right now are getting their Caddy binaries from official builds.

Confirmed with Matt, official Caddy binaries and EULA now prohibit benchmark results from being published or shared https://caddy.community/t/caddy-eula-section-3-1-h-benchmarking-info-clarification/2727

Read his comments, doesn't sound good. Looks like he's burning all bridges to the open source community.

• Matt responds https://caddy.community/t/the-realities-of-being-a-foss-maintainer/2728

as well as any comment insinuating that the maintainer is reliant upon a project that is not profitable or sustainable. Here’s the brutal truth for 99.9% (* not an actual figure) of open source projects, folks: you (the user of an open source project) need and rely on the project more than the maintainers do. Do not make the mistake of thinking that maintainers are emotionally tied to their projects. Definitely don’t call it their ‘baby’.

So, you have it backwards. Remember, these changes are being made because Caddy is not sustainable as-is. I don’t make a living from it. Up till now, I’ve enjoyed working on it, so sure, I’d like to make a living from it when I finish grad school. But as of now, I, along with most FOSS maintainers, have nothing to lose.

Remember that next time you think you can weaponize a project’s potential (or lack of) success against its owner or maintainers.

Hmm not sure what to say to this or whether it's true for most 'maintainers'. Or is there a differentiation between 'developer' vs 'maintainer' ? Guess it depends on which end of the spectrum you are as 'user' vs 'maintainer' i.e. Folks who develops and maintains GCC compiler vs 'users' who rely on GCC. Would GCC devs care if everyone switched over to Clang instead ?

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited September 2017

That guy is referring to developers (the maintainers).

Summary (my understanding on that paragraph): I don't depend on the project, I don't need it, you guys are the one that depends on it. If you want it to keep succeeding we need to monetize it otherwise fuck off.

@eva2000 said:
    Matt responds https://caddy.community/t/the-realities-of-being-a-foss-maintainer/2728

as well as any comment insinuating that the maintainer is reliant upon a project that is not profitable or sustainable. Here’s the brutal truth for 99.9% (* not an actual figure) of open source projects, folks: you (the user of an open source project) need and rely on the project more than the maintainers do. Do not make the mistake of thinking that maintainers are emotionally tied to their projects. Definitely don’t call it their ‘baby’.

So, you have it backwards. Remember, these changes are being made because Caddy is not sustainable as-is. I don’t make a living from it. Up till now, I’ve enjoyed working on it, so sure, I’d like to make a living from it when I finish grad school. But as of now, I, along with most FOSS maintainers, have nothing to lose.

Remember that next time you think you can weaponize a project’s potential (or lack of) success against its owner or maintainers.

Hmm not sure what to say to this or whether it's true for most 'maintainers'. Or is there a differentiation between 'developer' vs 'maintainer' ? Guess it depends on which end of the spectrum you are as 'user' vs 'maintainer' i.e. Folks who develops and maintains GCC compiler vs 'users' who rely on GCC. Would GCC devs care if everyone switched over to Clang instead ?

• Well, if you don't like what he wrote, you can always get a refund.

• edited September 2017

@WSS said:

@MagicalTrain said:
    But what I liked about caddy the most was the configuration file.

>

If anyone said they loved configuring Apache, they'd probably say the same about Sendmail.

I've never found it that bad. The alternatives (IIS, Nginx) are really awful, so it might be a perspective thing.

Sendmail is horrible.

@WSS said:
    It's basically a solution for a problem that doesn't exist for anyone who is smart enough to not only code, but do basic system administration. Obviously Matt can't handle that.

>

Which is, what, 5% of people in IT? :D

I always though Caddy was aiming for the WebDevs/DevOps crowd. They don't really have to know how anything works. They just have to know how click some buttons in Puppet Enterprise, and voila, they have a server on AWS.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • flatland_spider said: The alternatives (IIS, Nginx) are really awful

I think that's the first time I've heard anyone say that.

• classyclassy Member
    edited September 2017

@ricardo said:

flatland_spider said: The alternatives (IIS, Nginx) are really awful

I think that's the first time I've heard anyone say that.

The guy probably never got further than trying to understand nginx config syntax then...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Caddy performs like shit, no wonder Matt tries to ban benchmarks. People should build from source and post benchmarks all over the internet.

Hey Matt, you don't give a shit about Caddy? Then stick your software and EULA up your arse, you lying fuck. Everybody knows that you want to be the next Igor Sysoev.

• bugrakoc said: Caddy performs like shit, no wonder Matt tries to ban benchmarks. People should build from source and post benchmarks all over the internet.

In all fairness, Caddy development wise is still in infancy while Nginx has more years behind it's development to get where it is. But that's why sharing benchmarks is important as it gives you an idea of performance progress or regression with each Caddy release. Ages back when I asked Matt, he did say focus is first on feature set for Caddy and not performance which is understandable. But if you're charging for commercial licensing, folks may expect at least some form of feature and performance parity.

I did some Part 2 Caddy vs Nginx benchmarks this time for doing HTTP/2 based HTTPS load testing via h2load tester and Caddy 0.10.9 does look better than previous versions - maybe because I source built it against more performant Go 1.9 ? https://community.centminmod.com/threads/caddy-http-2-server-benchmarks-part-2.12873/

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited September 2017

feature set

Which Apache has an abundance of. I think the reason Nginx became so popular was because of performance generally, but also that it had a decent feature set that overlapped a lot of what Apache could do. Nginx took advantage of the more modern polling techniques, and is better suited for the C10k problem and avoiding slowloris type attacks which Apache had to adapt to overcome.

It does seem like this young developer naively thought he could front-run an industry leading web server...

• @ricardo said:

feature set

Which Apache has an abundance of. I think the reason Nginx became so popular was because of performance generally, but also that it had a decent feature set that overlapped a lot of what Apache could do. Nginx took advantage of the more modern polling techniques, and is better suited for the C10k problem and avoiding slowloris type attacks which Apache had to adapt to overcome.

nginx offered great performance as a proxy, allowing people who were shit at designing software to offload the static work to nginx, without the overhead of compiled modules into Apache. One hit serving 30 static images with mod_php (for example) compiled in, has a huge memory footprint as compared to a simple forking service.

Apache's downfall is generally due to it's API. There are several ways to make it more resistant to malicious users, but any webservice can be taken down given enough resources and/or determination.

As @eva2000 pointed out, the header added to Caddy actually made it SLOWER. @Jarland 's "Why should a few bytes matter?" statement actually did have merit in this world, because IT DID DECREASE PERFORMANCE.

The icing on the cake for me is the new EULA forbidding sharing performance data. Using a baseless assertion that "things are complicated and you're too dumb to test it properly", I am just astounded that this guy even managed to make it to college.

Matt, you aren't smart enough to be the next Pixelon, so don't bother. After you burn bridges with everyone who has worked on your project, you'll become yet another pointless project when everyone else has moved on.

• @ricardo said:

feature set

It does seem like this young developer naively thought he could front-run an industry leading web server...

This guy is completely misunderstanding how much open source has made this project possible.

Without the built-in go webserver caddy wouldn't have existed.

Time for him to finish school, get a real job and learn how much of a special snowflake he really is...

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited September 2017

WSS said: nginx offered great performance as a proxy, allowing people who were shit at designing software to offload the static work to nginx

I wouldn't say it's shit to do things that way, it does what it does well enough. I've tinkered with standalone servers speaking HTTP. and thinking about compression, caching ... well, the list goes on.

• @ricardo said:
    I wouldn't say it's shit to do things that way, it does what it does well enough. I've tinkered with standalone servers speaking HTTP. and thinking about compression, caching ... well, the list goes on.

I'd place it more as a burden, myself. Static content shouldn't need to go through Apache+PHP+Python+mod_security+.... But if it was designed better with, you know, a subdomain, it'd be much easier to separate, rather than having to maintain a forward-facing proxy for content that could easily be separated.

Now, back to Matt and his Techniheader Dreamcoat.

• Ah, yeah I misread what you meant.. for static, good information architecture and nginx itself is perfect.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2017

Well, according to the Benchmarks I found, the performance is shit.

Maybe a reason why they hide it, Nginx seems to be still the best when you are handling high amounts of traffic.

Thanked by 2netomx vimalware
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited September 2017

Updated h2load HTTP/2 HTTPS benchmarks including GCC 7.1.1 compiled binaries out of interest + Caddy http.cache proxy caching tests https://community.centminmod.com/threads/caddy-http-2-server-benchmarks-part-2.12873/#post-54715. Nginx is non-cache results.

Thanked by 2vimalware ricardo
  • Why do you have the GCC 4.8.5/7.1.1 build of 10,000 tests in the lower table? Just to show that it has become roughly 10% better? The fact that the older build is outright dropping responses when it gets bogged down bothers me. How badly does http.cache handle with 50,000, et al?

• Above is 2 separate tables, 2nd table was tests done much earlier in the day. 1st table is updated tests just testing lower load levels at which Caddy had 100% completed results as clearly the higher levels done earlier had <100% completed requests. Haven't tested Caddy http.cache at high levels yet. Tests maybe for later tonight :)

• I assumed the bottom table was later, with the fact that it had the newer GCC builds in it.

I find the GCC build giving that bump incredible, but I won't pretend to be able to read Go's code to pretend to understand where/why. I wonder how it does under CLang.

• Yeah will investigate how it does with Clang 3.4, 4.0.1 and 5.0 later on :)

Thanked by 1WSS
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

So... just keep running Nginx and Apache? Got it.

Thanked by 2netomx bugrakoc
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited September 2017

I ran a simple comparison with ab

ab -kc 20 -n 50000 -p post.txt -m POST -T application/json http://testing:15000/

The POST file is 10 bytes in size. nginx/caddy pretty much standard configs.

Server Software: nginx/1.12.1

Concurrency Level:      20
    Time taken for tests:   0.310 seconds
    Complete requests:      50000
    Failed requests:        0
    Keep-Alive requests:    49511
    Total transferred:      12147555 bytes
    Total body sent:        8700000
    HTML transferred:       0 bytes
    Requests per second:    161223.23 [#/sec] (mean)s)

Server Software: Caddy

Time taken for tests:   1.009 seconds
    Keep-Alive requests:    50000
    Total transferred:      19300000 bytes
    Total body sent:        8800000
    Requests per second:    49529.62 [#/sec] (mean)

Server Software: home-made single threaded epoll

Time taken for tests:   1.514 seconds
    Keep-Alive requests:    0
    Total transferred:      14741525 bytes
    Total body sent:        9050000
    Requests per second:    33015.70 [#/sec] (mean)

Thanked by 2bugrakoc vimalware
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@eva2000 did you test Lighttpd performance?