Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there really a market for VPN accounts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there really a market for VPN accounts?

Simple question... Is there a market for VPN services?

Comments

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

vpn.sh has it covered

Thanked by 1VPNsh
  • Simple answer... yes.

• @black said:
    Simple answer... yes.

lol ;)

• There's a market for anything though. Just depends on if it's worth it.

• Time spent verifying illegal usage vs profit... That's my main concern. ;)

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

There is definitely a market for VPN accounts, but like many hosting-related markets, it's already rather saturated and there's a decent handful of large VPN providers that take up the vast majority of the market.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to drop me a PM, and I'm aware of one or two others who browse here who are in the VPN market who I could probably pass you on to :)

And thanks @AlexanderM :P

• jakejake Member

Nah. I'd rather set up my own VPN on a leb so I have control.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@nixcom said:
    Time spent verifying illegal usage vs profit... That's my main concern. ;)

Bingo!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

yes, but as with any small market in this industry you have to be prepared to work on it for 2 - 3 years to get any decent returns.

• There is a certainly a market for VPN. However, it is such a competitive market and in order to make profits you will need a lot of customers. Otherwise your operation costs will be too high to bankrupt you. Not only you have to deal with the billing, security, logging, you may also run into legal issues since a lot of people use VPN to download copyrighted content. Plus, the profit margin is small.

• As lot of others has mentioned

It's a very saturated market, and the legal issues are some messy shit to handle.

It doesn't really worth the time unless you're really into it.

• You would really have a deep pocket in order to advertise.

• @EarthVPN said:
    You would really have a deep pocket in order to advertise.

And as your signature says, a deep pocket to offer 81 locations ;)

• You can also start with bulk reselling and/or white-label VPN solution in order to lower risks.

• smansman Member

Supposedly the payment processors such as paypal, visa, mc, are clamping down on this due to pressure from content providers. Reportedly not accepting payments offshore for some of these guys. So the VPN guys probably have a rough road ahead of them.

Yea, there are legitimate uses but let's not kid ourselves. Most of this is to get around country restrictions.

• How do you guys differentiate yourselves from free services like vpnbook?

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@Abdussamad said:
    How do you guys differentiate yourselves from free services like vpnbook?

Free VPN services get abused, especially when they have no visible TOS like VPN Book. They're generally quite clogged as well. For example, I just tried a speedtest on their US location and could only hit 3Mb/s from my 30Mb/s connection. Not to mention the fact that support is limited to a contact form, and there's only a small number of locations.

Whilst I think it's good if someone can offer free VPN's that perform well AND are secure, there doesn't seem to be anywhere doing this now. I also generally seem to have more confidence in my security if I'm paying for the privilege, as I'm expecting at least some form of professionalism and I'm also aware of who's dealing with my data.

Personally I've seen enough free VPN services try and fail to be wise enough to not take that route. Anybody feeling confident enough to go for it, fair play on taking the risk but don't expect anything to come of it other than lost sleep and headaches.

• Good point

Thanked by 1VPNsh
  • GunterGunter Member
    edited August 2013

@liamwithers said:
    Personally I've seen enough free VPN services try and fail to be wise enough to not take that route. Anybody feeling confident enough to go for it, fair play on taking the risk but don't expect anything to come of it other than lost sleep and headaches.

VPNBook speeds tend to be comparable to vpn.sh sometimes actually, like 30% of the time through the Canada node. But compared to VPNBook, vpn.sh has dedication by @liamwither and Chris, who provide a excellent service with far more locations than most providers by a longshot while still having affordable and reasonable prices, and a much better logging policy.

The issues with free VPNs are that they have heavy invasive logging policy due to heavy abuse and a lack of general concern for their users.