Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for cheap minecraft server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for cheap minecraft server

mikey_2816781mikey_2816781 Member
edited August 2013 in Requests

Hey guys. I've built a minecraft server on a box I have with burstnet. Its pretty slow and unreliable at the moment. I'm trying to figure out if the cause is just my specs/budget, or what, and if there is a better provider anyone may recommend.

I'm doing a 13/month cheapy xen vps, 1GB. Minecraft server gets min/max 800MB ram. I feel like that alone might be why the server seems to slightly suck consistently, and become really laggy with even just 6 players online. The only reason I'm considering a different host is I've heard a lot of complaints regarding burstnet at this price range, and a few times no one was in my server and I couldn't even SSH in, the thing was so slow.

I would also be happy to move to a minecraft-only server if I could still have some sort of access to cron, so I could run little maintenance/backup scripts that I've written.

Sorry that I'm not much of a linux guru but here is a dump of a few commands I found online:

vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 44
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHz
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 2400.146
cache size : 12288 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 11
wp : yes
flags : fpu de tsc msr pae cx8 sep cmov pat clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht nx up aperfmperf unfair_spinlock pni pclmulqdq ssse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes hypervisor ida arat epb dts
bogomips : 4800.29
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

I'm also running the latest version of bukkit and about 16 plugins, most of which aren't very intense.

Any advice? Is this the best I'm going to get for the money? If you have an offer to make, please do so publicly or at least mention your private message, so others have the opportunity to comment on the rep/stats. I want to try and avoid newbie operations if possible.

Comments