Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Virtual Credit/Prepaid Cards (in Canada)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Virtual Credit/Prepaid Cards (in Canada)

Any pointers on getting a cheap virtual credit/pre-paid card in Toronto? I need to make a single online purchase (Paypal not accepted) and hence the "cheap" requirement. There are prepaid Visa & MC cards at 7-eleven/convenience stores, but it costs around 5$ extra to get a $25 card. Plus, there is a 2.5% transaction fee since my purchase is in USD.

I don't need a physical card, which I think adds to the additional charges. (If it is cheaper, a one-time use card also works).

Comments

• I would think there's always some charge. But the Bank of Montreal has the best long term deal I've seen anywhere. It's called their Travel Card, and you pre-load it. It's a very low charge per year ($6.96)and it carries all the advantages of any regular MasterCard. I've had one for some years now and use it mostly on-line. See here.

• Entropay can be a good option for you.

• Thank you @Ole_Juul. The BMO idea seems like a good long term solution.

@SPUZE: Thank you. I didn't know Entropay was available for Canada. It looked like a solution for UK based folks.

• @ramesh_vish CIBC prepaid cards work well too. Just link it to your bank account and transfer what you need into the card balance.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • @ramesh_vish said: Thank you. I didn't know Entropay was available for Canada. It looked like a solution for UK based folks.

You can use them from Canada. Their cards are worldwide supported. But, you may can't use them in GoDaddy or 1&1. ☺

• Thanks @doghouch. Do I need to be a CIBC customer? Not keen on opening a new chequing account for getting the prepaid card.

• @ramesh_vish said:
    Thanks @doghouch. Do I need to be a CIBC customer? Not keen on opening a new chequing account for getting the prepaid card.

Depends on the card. Their travel card is only available at Toronto Pearson @ a CIBC kiosk for non-CIBC customers. Basically, if you're not a CIBC customer, your only option with them is the "Smart Prepaid" card. (the card is available at any CIBC branch.)

• I have a CIBC smart prepaid card and an USD smart prepaid card, works well. I am a customer but they said it's available to everyone, though you can only add funds in person at a branch (that was when they first had the card, could be changed now).

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    I have a CIBC smart prepaid card and an USD smart prepaid card, works well. I am a customer but they said it's available to everyone, though you can only add funds in person at a branch (that was when they first had the card, could be changed now).

I remember one of them having the ability to be loaded through your bank account.

(with that said, Koho is another option. Initial load of $20 is done by Interac and a soft credit check is performed)

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited September 2017

@TheOnlyDK said:
    I have a CIBC smart prepaid card and an USD smart prepaid card, works well. I am a customer but they said it's available to everyone, though you can only add funds in person at a branch (that was when they first had the card, could be changed now).

You can deposit cash at an ATM as well

Edit: ATMs at CIBC branches only

• doghouch said: (with that said, Koho is another option. Initial load of $20 is done by Interac and a soft credit check is performed)

Thanks for the Koho direction. I think I'll try this out (no fees is always enticing). I signed up for Mogo (many moons ago, just for the Visa Card), but they declined the application (they try to first check if you qualify for a mortgage and I was a newcomer to Canada)