Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH, able to host 1.000.000 servers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH, able to host 1.000.000 servers

2»

Comments

• @sman "So most of the senior guys are probably french and probably a lot of their support people. Communication could be a problem." - I owned a server over at OVH's Canada location before and the support people I've spoken to before regarding that server all spoke and typed fluent English. It's just a shame that people love to abuse OVH's network.

Thanked by 1ska
  • skaska Member

@sman said:
    Anyways, they are not really the right fit for me since they don't do kvmip opting for that rescue system of theirs.

They do KVM/IPMI and also provide a real SLA with commercial support in any language where they have a regional office. They just don't provide that for the ultra-cheap KS (Kimsufi) line. If you choose the EG line and up you will find all the bells and whistles that comes with a professional dedicated server. Ofc, you will then have to pay the normal price for that service.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@Jeffrey said:
    sman "So most of the senior guys are probably french and probably a lot of their support people. Communication could be a problem." - I owned a server over at OVH's Canada location before and the support people I've spoken to before regarding that server all spoke and typed fluent English. It's just a shame that people love to abuse OVH's network.

I'm guessing it's probably similar to iWeb. Probably a lot of the people came from there. I had communication problems with them at times. They type and speak fluent english but there were often misunderstandings when getting into technical details.

For example, I had a frustrating conversation via chat with 3 separate people when I was asking about KVM-over-IP. They kept thinking I was asking about KVM virtualization and started talking about their virtualization offerings. They just could not seem to grasp that that was not at all what I was asking.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@ska said:
    They do KVM/IPMI and also provide a real SLA with commercial support in any language where they have a regional office. They just don't provide that for the ultra-cheap KS (Kimsufi) line. If you choose the EG line and up you will find all the bells and whistles that comes with a professional dedicated server. Ofc, you will then have to pay the normal price for that service.

I saw some options for kvmip addon for a fee. Most providers offer it for free or will hook it up on demand for initial install and troubleshooting. Anyways, didn't seem to be a feature they wanted to emphasize which says something as well. Everything I saw indicated they want you to use that rescue system of theirs. It's kind of hard to explain but it's not quite what I want. I want fully unmanaged and fully in control. They are kind of the worst of both of those. Fully unmanaged and they want to fully control how you are unmanaged.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@joelgm said: they can

Impossible, they need to spend lot of money and also they can't earn profit from Asian server unless they sell it at high price.

• @DewlanceVPS You're literally putting words in my mouth!

• @joelgm said:
    DewlanceVPS You're literally putting words in my mouth!

lol.

• ChanChan Member

When is AutoAsiaDC coming?

• And AutoPaypalOrderCancel! And AutoFrenchSupport too!

Thanked by 2tux Maounique
  • smansman Member
    edited August 2013

Still enjoying coming to this and the other OVH thread and reading about people trying to believe there really are unicorns.

• Now 1KK soon 2KK servers ... :)

• @sman said:
    I saw some options for kvmip addon for a fee. Most providers offer it for free or will hook it up on demand for initial install and troubleshooting. Anyways, didn't seem to be a feature they wanted to emphasize which says something as well. Everything I saw indicated they want you to use that rescue system of theirs. It's kind of hard to explain but it's not quite what I want. I want fully unmanaged and fully in control. They are kind of the worst of both of those. Fully unmanaged and they want to fully control how you are unmanaged.

EG and up it is for free in the professional option.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@fileMEDIA said:
    EG and up it is for free in the professional option.

Thanks. Good to know. EG is about the same price as I'm paying now so not something that is going to make me switch. No option for additional IP's so that's not a good sign if I want it for VPS hosting.

• VPS hosting with OVH for customer? Don´t do that!

Thanked by 2DomainBop MrObvious
  • xsetxset Member

@filemedia Why not?:)

Thanked by 1tux
  • One abuse message to OVH and they suspend your service for a few days with all customers on this server. If they got to much, you´ll be directly terminated.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Plus the DDoS obsession thing and the fact they will not like that to be "resold". Now, even more so than before, you do not want to answer your customers on behalf of OVH.

• @sman said:
    EG is about the same price as I'm paying now so not something that is going to make me switch. No option for additional IP's so that's not a good sign if I want it for VPS hosting.

You can order additional IPs for EG. What comes to restrictions in the Kimsufi-line, I'm sure most of us can live happily without tens of thousands new teenage "providers" grossly overselling OpenVZ, while not having a clue even on sysadmin basics.

Thanked by 3marrco ska tux
  • smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@wiking said:
    You can order additional IPs for EG. What comes to restrictions in the Kimsufi-line, I'm sure most of us can live happily without tens of thousands new teenage "providers" grossly overselling OpenVZ, while not having a clue even on sysadmin basics.

So instead you are going to be on the same network as these tens of thousands running ddos attracting gaming servers.

I don't see much mention of adding IP's. How strict are they about it? I always need a /28 to start and usually another /28 shortly after. My current provider used to be very good about handing out IP's. Now they have turned into IP nazi's. They want me to list the customers name and address for EVERY IP and exactly what each IP is used for. Including IP's with other providers.

The thing that really bugs me about it is that they do not offer IP6 yet. If they are getting squeezed by ARIN you would think they would see the writing on the wall and get going with that.