Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Samsung Evo 850 1TB SSD for 279€ (40€ off)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Samsung Evo 850 1TB SSD for 279€ (40€ off)

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited September 2017 in General

Just in case someone is interested^^

Currently notebooksbilliger is offering 40€ off this product:
https://m.notebooksbilliger.de/ifa+aktion+samsung+850+evo/samsung+850+evo+series+ssd+1tb?nbb=pn.md#Q4C8

Use code: 850EVO40

Thanked by 1Quinten

Comments

• Cheapest price on gh.de (Geizhals, price comparison) is about 311€, that means, it's quite a good deal, thanks @Ympker :-)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Timtimo13 said:
    Cheapest price on gh.de (Geizhals, price comparison) is about 311€, that means, it's quite a good deal, thanks @Ympker :-)

Sure thing :) Just saw it pop up on mydealz and thought I'd share^^

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2017

Better get two*500GB ones, and put them in RAID0. Instant 1GB/sec speeds even without NVMe.

Costs $140/each, so the total for 1TB is just ~234 EUR that way.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Yeah and if one fails your whole data is lost..

edited September 2017

That's why you just always have backups. The single 1TB drive can fail just the same. Never assume that storing data on one drive or even RAID1, RAID5, RAID6 is "so reliable" that you can skip backups.

• @rm_ option is just as valid. But anyway this is not about how to best make use of the SSDs but the deal itself. I am sure everyone purchasing will know what he will be able to use the drive(s) for :)

• @rm_ said:

That's why you just always have backups. The single 1TB drive can fail just the same.

No it does not. You just doubled the risk of a failure.

• Sven said: No it does not. You just doubled the risk of a failure.

Honestly, bigger drives had failed me more than smaller ones. Backup is your only viable solution for a data disaster. Just backup the hell out of it. At least two locations.

edited September 2017

Sven said: You just doubled the risk of a failure.

Any risk of a failure causing irreversible data loss should be considered unacceptable, be it X or 2 * X. The way to mitigate that is with backups. And when you have backups, it doesn't matter much if the failure risk is X or 2 * X, might as well go for the latter and also reap the speed benefit.

• Timtimo13Timtimo13 Member
    edited September 2017

sdglhm said: Honestly, bigger drives had failed me more than smaller ones. Backup is your only viable solution for a data disaster. Just backup the hell out of it. At least two locations.

I had the same feeling with HDD's but not with SSD's.
    I believe thats a new story as you just put more chips onto
    the board, there is no more heat or more vibration or sth like that.

There's the wearout what you have to keep in mind but yeah.

I think, the problem is, that you can put more data on a 1TB ssd
    than you could on a 120GB one. That means, if that SSD fails, you
    would lose more data. That feels more bad than a failed 120G one.

With hdd... I have 1TB SATA disks from Samsung mainly dying on me.
    My 80GB ide drives from Maxtor are or would run like hell without any failure.

• rm_ said: irreversible data loss should be considered unacceptable, be it X or 2 * X

Sh... You'll wake up people who think RAID is the backup.

• @sdglhm said:

rm_ said: irreversible data loss should be considered unacceptable, be it X or 2 * X

Sh... You'll wake up people who think RAID is the backup.

You cannot wake up those people.