Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best program for synchronization.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best program for synchronization.

I installed on my VPS, Nextcloud

On my computer (Windows 10), I have the Nextcloud client.

My problem is that it is really very very slow.

I looked on the forums and this comes from the program, because I have a lot of small files

Do you think Pydio will be better?

Do you have any other program to advise me?

For the backup I use Duplicati, and this put less than two heuares, but it is not the same function.

I really need a syncronization program.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• I've had more luck with multiple small files with Seafile and Syncthing. Have you tried those?

• comebackcomeback Member
    edited September 2017

@caracal said:
    I've had more luck with multiple small files with Seafile and Syncthing. Have you tried those?

Seafile is better than Nextcloud / Owncloud for synchronization.

Seafile sends files by block, while Nextcloud / Owncloud sends file by file.

This is why it is very slow with the small files.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @caracal said:
    I've had more luck with multiple small files with Seafile and Syncthing. Have you tried those?

Seafile uses Python, it is necessary to use the VPS only for Seafile.

That's why I did not choose Seafile

• @Webinium said:

@caracal said:

Seafile uses Python, it is necessary to use the VPS only for Seafile.

That's why I did not choose Seafile

Hmmm, how is that ?
    I have a VPS with plex, web server, php, mariadb and seafil, it appears working fine

• @Webinium said:
    I installed on my VPS, Nextcloud

On my computer (Windows 10), I have the Nextcloud client.

My problem is that it is really very very slow.

I looked on the forums and this comes from the program, because I have a lot of small files

Do you think Pydio will be better?

Do you have any other program to advise me?

For the backup I use Duplicati, and this put less than two heuares, but it is not the same function.

I really need a syncronization program.

Thank you for your help.

Two things:

• The initial synchronization of your local Nextcloud (or ownCloud) directory will take a lot of time if you have a lot of small files, but once the initial synchronization is done, the speed should be fine unless you add many small files to your local Nextcloud directory on a regular basis.

• If you add many small files to your local Nextcloud directory on a regular basis, you may want to reconsider your work flow. For example, if you make a TAR (or RAR or ZIP) archive of many small files and add only the TAR file to your Nextcloud directory, this will make a huge difference in speed of synchronization with Nextcloud.

• The problem comes from my vps (time4vps).

39.8 MB/s

• @Webinium said:
    The problem comes from my vps (time4vps).

39.8 MB/s

Why not compress your files then upload? When you need to restore, you simply extract it.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited September 2017

@Webinium said:
    The problem comes from my vps (time4vps).

39.8 MB/s

If this is the problem, then any synchronization program will be limited by this.

I thought that the problem was the synchronization of many small files, in which case the natural solution would be to use archives, as I wrote above.