Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anyone help with Proxies?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can anyone help with Proxies?

agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I want to use my server as a proxy to get at the US netflix with my Apple TV.

It would essentially be a public proxy with no requirement for authentication as Apple TV doesn't allow for credentials.

Anyone know how to go about this?

Comments

• edited August 2013

How about using Squid?
    I've created a squid proxy in my vps with BuyVM, and it's working nice, without lag from Indonesia :)

This is my tutorial for installing and configuring squid, with using authentication.

Since we don't need authentication, we need to modify the squid.conf

auth_param basic children 5
    auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
    auth_param basic credentialsttl 4 hours
    forwarded_for off

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Well, it depends on what kind of proxy your Apple TV supports.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2013

Most of us use VPN (OpenVPN as example) for these sort of things. There's plenty tutorials how to install it at your server. I am not sure about authentication thing in your case, tho.

• WoopWoop Member

With the Apple TV, there's no option to enter in a proxy. Unless you hook it up to another router and setup the proxy/VPN on that.

The only way to do it, is get a custom DNS server up. You can either set one up yourself or just use one of these sites:

http://tunlr.net/ - Free
    http://www.unblock-us.com/ - Paid

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Putting up a proxy with no authentication is asking for trouble. It WILL be discovered.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said:
    Putting up a proxy with no authentication is asking for trouble. It WILL be discovered.

You could still add a firewall rule to block all but the Apple TV.

Or block all but your IP in case you have a static one or use ipv6 only. It is highly unlikely someone will scan all IPv6 ranges to find one with a proxy.

• This might work with a transparent proxy, but if your Apple TV's gateway is connected to a US-based VPN, you can either tunnel all traffic through the VPN or add routes to force just Netflix traffic (you'll have to find their IP range) across it.

• irmirm Member

Install tinyproxy, edit the conf so that the only allowed IP's are your own?

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Oh I see then. How would I go about setting up custom DNS for this? just set up Bind on my server? I thought the traffic would have to be pushed through my server? I don't think Bind would handle that...

I am not sure, but maybe, if they have static IP, cant you use hosts file instead of DNS ?

• https://mediahint.com/

only use it for hulu but apparently for netflix too

@FFFlip said:
    https://mediahint.com/

only use it for hulu but apparently for netflix too

Looking to set it up for an apple tv. Mine doesn't have any sort of browser and from the looks of it, MediaHint is a browser plugin.

• You could setup a open proxy and firewall all traffic except yours via DDNS. However the robust method is to invest in a cheapo router which tunnels to the VPS.

So apparently what I need to set up is a DNS forwarding server. Not sure how to do this either. Tried looking it up but couldn't find any really clear info.

• @agoldenberg said:
    Looking to set it up for an apple tv. Mine doesn't have any sort of browser and from the looks of it, MediaHint is a browser plugin.

Would help if i'd read your post ;)