Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wtf @ fortatrust
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wtf @ fortatrust

I have read quite a few reviews and I know they are known for their scams. Before i did read that though, I tried to buy their vps (it was like $3 and i thought why not) but they ended up rejecting my paypal and then sending me mass invoices. I opened a ticket and told them to stop, and they did and even gave me the vps free for one year, and I assumed all I would need to do is use the vps for one year and it would be automatically removed (like every single host does). Now this one year free is up and it turns out i need to pay like $27 for the vps renewal.. I told them i didn't want the vps and they said you must order cancellation 30 days beforehand. I told them the vps was free, and they are "looking into this"
I also got an email from their lawyer (which was actually marked as spam) saying if i dont pay the invoice within 30 days there would be "legal action" for my "delinquency" taken/

tl;dr version:
got a free compensation from fortatrust for one year, year is up, and they are forcing me to buy the vps and if i don't they claim to take legal action against me

any ideas on what exactly should i do?

Comments

• By delinquency, probably they mean adding your name to their long list here http://www.fortatrust.com/blacklist/

• their lawyer sent me:
    YOUR FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS DEMAND WILL RESULT IN YOUR ACCOUNT BEING ADDED TO BOTH YOUR PERSONAL AND CORPORATE CREDIT REPORTS (EQUIFAX, EXPERIAN, CIBL, CreditInfo and TRANS UNION), AS A TERMINATED ACCOUNT DUE TO INSUFFICIENT FUNDS WITH YOUR FINANCIAL INSTITUTION AND MAY RESULT IN THE INSTITUTION OF LEGAL PROCEEDINGS AGAINST YOU.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Why do people go with Fortatrust?

• @loael123 said: their lawyer sent me:

All nonsense.

• @loael123 said:
    their lawyer sent me:
    YOUR FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS DEMAND WILL RESULT IN YOUR ACCOUNT BEING ADDED TO BOTH YOUR PERSONAL AND CORPORATE CREDIT REPORTS (EQUIFAX, EXPERIAN, CIBL, CreditInfo and TRANS UNION), AS A TERMINATED ACCOUNT DUE TO INSUFFICIENT FUNDS WITH YOUR FINANCIAL INSTITUTION AND MAY RESULT IN THE INSTITUTION OF LEGAL PROCEEDINGS AGAINST YOU.

Send the lawyer a KFC voucher and all is good. He must be starving..

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Why not ask them how much 2 months at and cancel after the first month.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • loael123loael123 Member
    edited August 2013

@Deathstarr said:
    Why not ask them how much 2 months at and cancel after the first month.

i'm pretty sure they will only let me pay the full invoice for a year (since that's what the service was)
    i'm having long discussions with their staff and i think i'm slowly getting there..

• YOUR FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS DEMAND WILL RESULT IN YOUR ACCOUNT BEING ADDED TO BOTH YOUR PERSONAL AND CORPORATE CREDIT REPORTS (EQUIFAX, EXPERIAN, CIBL, CreditInfo and TRANS UNION)

Fortatrust will also add your full name (and the name of your company) and address to the blacklist on their website so it will appear in google searches
    http://www.fortatrust.com/blacklist/

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited August 2013

Their aup is funny. Cancelations must be done 31 days before due date. No way some one can cancel a monthly plan. A company to avoid. Ignore them and bounce their emails. Your Paypal was rejected and they gave you a free year, so there was never a financial transaction?

Thanked by 1DennisdeWit
  • @peppr said:
    Their aup is funny. Cancelations must be done 31 days before due date. No way some one can cancel a monthly plan. A company to avoid. Ignore them and bounce their emails. Your Paypal was rejected and they gave you a free year, so there was never a financial transaction?

there never was. That's why i am very annoyed by this.

• No wonder why there blacklist is going on for ages.

• @loael123 said:
    there never was. That's why i am very annoyed by this.

Looks like scam. When exactly is the free year due?

• They also request $250 deposit for unsuspending their VPS due to unproven claims.

• @peppr said:

a few days ago

• LOL They can't report to CRB's. They don't have your SSN.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited August 2013

@Rallias said:
    LOL They can't report to CRB's. They don't have your SSN.

If they have your name and address they can report you because there are several types of credit report entries that aren't identified by SSN. Collection accounts (which is what this would be) do not require a SSN (legal judgments are another type of credit report entry that doesn't require an SSN)

• @DomainBop said:
    If they have your name and address they can report you because there are several types of credit report entries that aren't identified by SSN. Collection accounts (which is what this would be) do not require a SSN (legal judgments are another type of credit report entry that doesn't require an SSN)

Well, either way, no signed contract = defensible CRB removal.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

The best solution would be rent a Botnet :D

• @Infinity580 said:
    The best solution would be rent a Botnet :D

Oh god... really? Those things usually cost $40 per gigabit uplink or $20 for 20k spams.

• i have albanian friends with a botnet =]

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Rallias yeahr you right, cost to much.

• There could be a Class-Action lawsuit by all the parties on the "list of shame" for defamation. Any LowEndLawyers around?

• @Magiobiwan said:
    There could be a Class-Action lawsuit by all the parties on the "list of shame" for defamation. Any LowEndLawyers around?

That seems a little shaky. I'm not aware of any laws that prevent you from posting a list of names and locations . . . and slander is a very difficult charge to assert.

• I didn't realize there was a company that prided itself in being so awful. Publishing a list of people, their businesses, and their locations like that is jerk move IMO. If this is such an issue for them, they need to bill before the service is offered, and if the bill isn't paid, don't give someone the service!