Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr vs. OVH vs. Ramnode vs. Linode vs. Digitalocean?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr vs. OVH vs. Ramnode vs. Linode vs. Digitalocean?

coolgoolecoolgoole Barred
edited September 2017 in Help

Vultr, OVH, Ramnode, Linode and Digitalocean? which one can give you best price, specs...for a strong VPS?

Comments

• does-ramnode-host-wikipedia

ಠ_ಠ

Thanked by 1msg7086
  • Depends on the strong you’re looking for, friend. Could you express it in terms of an animal i.e. ‘strong like bull’ or ‘strong like bear’ please.

Thanked by 2Amitz pike
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited September 2017

Based on my experience:

OVH for Anti-DDoS and unmetered bandwidth and/or reverse proxy. Good if you want to push 30 TB/m traffic. Its almost 100% Cogent traffic though, so there will be shit tons of hops and bad routing.

Vultr for performance.. it wins others in IO/CPU/RAM. Shit CPU policy.. you get instacapped to lower priority if you do 100% CPU more than 15 mins without notifying support. If you ask permission from support and tell your actions/justification, they will allow 100% CPU for months. I generated 16384-bit OpenVPN keys for a full month by maxing 100% usage and they were fine with it after asking for permission.

Linode for Asia peering. Lowest latency and best speeds out of all of them in asia in my opinion.

Digitalocean for stability/uptime. Its the most generic of all of them. It doesent win in anything but its not shit in anything either.

Ramnode for branding.. if you only have a slideware product or need to impress your clients, ramnode is the best.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2017

stefeman said: OVH ...almost 100% Cogent traffic

You what mate?

Literally never seen any Cogent on my traceroutes to/from OVH. You sure not mistaking them with Online.net?

https://bgp.he.net/AS16276#_graph4 shows Cogent is a minor upstream for them, one of a dozen or so.

stefeman said: Linode for Asia peering

After Linode Tokyo1 gone, that's not true either. And Linode SG can be pretty retarded if comparing all three (Linode, DO, Vultr) in SG.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@scaveney said:

does-ramnode-host-wikipedia

ಠ_ಠ

O_o

It's almost as bad of a shill game as the "the days of solus are over" spam that happened in some other thread about RN.

Francisco

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said:

You what mate?

Literally never seen any Cogent on my traceroutes to/from OVH. You sure not mistaking them with Online.net?

See it a bit within North America (to/from BHS), but I see a lot more direct peering and Telia most of the time.

• @rm_ said:

You what mate?

Are you sure you’re not actually from Essex?

• rm_ said: You what mate?

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • rm_ said: Literally never seen any Cogent on my traceroutes to/from OVH. You sure not mistaking them with Online.net?

https://bgp.he.net/AS16276#_graph4 shows Cogent is a minor upstream for them, one of a dozen or so.

http://xor.meo.ws/vqJaKwxU5IvFmKs5_Yb6LDdCeEZ7tymi.txt but that's only a small percentage considering there are 114 online probes right now.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited September 2017

@coolgoole said:
    Vultr, OVH, Ramnode, Linode and Digitalocean? which one can give you best price, specs...for a strong VPS?

For performance to price ratio (performance per dollar), Linode wins especially below or at 4 cpu cores i.e. Linode 8GB KVM VPS is with 4 cpu cores 96GB and 4TB with 40Gbps/1Gbps IN/OUT network pipe for $40/month and you'd either land on E5-2680v2, E5-2680v3 or E5-2697v4 based processors. DigitalOcean only has E5-2697Av4 if you us etheir High CPU droplets but at a much higher price.

Ramnode is nice but more likely to run into their cpu usage restrictions

OVH VPS too low disk IOPs relative to other providers you'd be capped between 2000-4000 IOPs

Vultr much lower disk I/O performance than others but still better than OVH VPS. But not consistent cpu performance as you don't know which cpus you are getting on host nodes. However, great set of locations. So if you don't care about cpu or disk but more focused on locations available, then Vultr is ok.

DigitalOcean standard VPS's cpu performance probably slowest of all providers unless you pay more for High CPU droplets.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • stefeman said: 30 TB/m traffic.

coolgoole said: for a strong VPS?

Doesn't OVH Have 100Mbps @ 10TB after that 10Mbps @ unlimited?

• Ramnode: small cheap plans that the others don't offer. I especially like their 128MB SSD OpenVZ plan which is around $15 a year. I have that and one of their HDD plans (had two HDD previously). Uptime has been great, performance of the SSD VPS has been great, there's been occasional flakiness with network routes. The HDD box can be a bit slow but is a good deal (80GB HDD for 15/year) even today.

OVH: I've had multiple dedis with them and have their $3.50/m KVM on 50%-off promo from last year, works great, but 10GB of SSD is a bit constraining, and it's way off in BHS. It expires soon so I've just gotten a 1GB Las Vegas BuyVM slice which is great so far.

DO: LET's own @Jarland works there and has been known to help LET members with DO issues. It's easy to spin instances up and down (hourly billing), and they're snappy and performant. It's also easy to spin up an instance for a quick project, then forget to spin it down so you can run up bills that way. You can't pre-fund your account with a CC payment (you can do it with Paypal), which is slightly annoying (they bill you at the end of the month). The block storage add-on is nice.

Vultr: a bit better CPU performance on small instances, you can pre-fund with a CC in amounts as small as $5, and there's a free temporary (beta test?) 50GB block storage in their NY location. Otherwise, fewer creature comforts than DO, plus they have a bait and switch offer for $2.50/mo servers that are only in Miami and NYC. So I tend to like DO better.

Linode: an early leader that fell behind the times and has made some catch-up effort, has had multiple bad security breaches, product line seems generic now. Had a bad reputation for nullrouting 24h at slightest ddos. I've never used them so no direct experience to report.

edited September 2017

Fusl said: http://xor.meo.ws/vqJaKwxU5IvFmKs5_Yb6LDdCeEZ7tymi.txt but that's only a small percentage considering there are 114 online probes right now.

Well for the most part it seems caused by those ISPs preferring to use Cogent as their way to the world (or in fact having no other option), not because OVH is only accessible behind Cogent. Take a random non-3rd world one from the list (Exoscale), and sure enough, https://bgp.he.net/AS61098#_graph4

• @rm_ said:

I'm very well aware on how routing, peering and transit works, it was just the words "Literally never seen any Cogent on my traceroutes to/from OVH." that triggered me here, my traceroutes are just informational and show that Cogent->OVH exists directly as well, no matter if the ISPs themself pick it or not.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited September 2017

Good summary, @willie. Just a small question:

willie said: and it's way off in BHS.

What does "BHS" mean here? (Sorry.)

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@angstrom said:

Beauharnois

Thanked by 1angstrom
    edited September 2017

Fusl said: "Literally never seen any Cogent on my traceroutes to/from OVH."

Well it just means what it says, I have never seen it on my traceroutes, as all providers that I use do not really use Cogent. Even WEDOS which has Cogent, doesn't use it to reach OVH, preferring a CZ IX connection instead.

As for the the initial point of discussion, it was "are OVH heavily reliant on Cogent", the answer is still no, not in particular, and even your traceroutes fall in line with that, because the appearance of Cogent on those is likely due to those providers' reasons (did not check every single one though), and not OVH's "fault".

• @Rhys said:

@angstrom said:

Beauharnois

Oh, of course, it's a location -- I was definitely trying to misread "BHS"! :-)

• How about lunanode?

• @Francisco said:

@scaveney said:

does-ramnode-host-wikipedia

ಠ_ಠ

O_o

It's almost as bad of a shill game as the "the days of solus are over" spam that happened in some other thread about RN.

Francisco

I just bought a vps in your home and said that I am a scam. I feel so sad. I always feel that I am a reputable person. English is not good.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

coolgoole said: I just bought a vps in your home and said that I am a scam. I feel so sad. I always feel that I am a reputable person. English is not good.

Please open a ticket with billing, we'll fix you :)

Francisco

• coolgoole said: I just bought a vps in your home and said that I am a scam. I feel so sad. I always feel that I am a reputable person. English is not good.

BuyVM helps us to grow up, and now we knowing that we are not the center of the earth, and that the world is not moving/spin around us, but we are spin in this world. You got a very big present, and it's better late to receive than never. Keep strong bro, I know this is hurts! (┬┬﹏┬┬)

• I just tested ramnode and got insane network speeds but why are they not on letsencrypt in 2019?!?!?

That is normally very off-putting for me

• @pcfreak30 said:
    I just tested ramnode and got insane network speeds but why are they not on letsencrypt in 2019?!?!?

That is normally very off-putting for me

Would you please share the benchmark result?

• MikyMiky Member

No one has anything to say about UpCloud?

I'm testing all of them, small machine mode, in Singapore... And they are good!

• Miky said: UpCloud?

They seem decent for the price as they claim to offer a really solid HA infrastructure. I'd be curious to know more about that.

This discussion has been closed.