Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudFlare slowing down response times? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudFlare slowing down response times?

2»

Comments

• @Rallias said:
    Because if they fix the few second issue with your site, it may propogate similar benefits to their paid users.

Or it may turn out that their paid users are on different nodes as it is, it's just Professional has more limits on it than Business and Enterprise, freeing up space for Business and Enterprise sites.

We'll see.

• I doubt they have free and paid nodes. You can upgrade from free at anypoint and I'm not aware of your assigned cf IPs changing at that point. Has anyone moved up from free?

• I'm more curious as to what happens when you upgrade to Business. I doubt it has anything to do with IP's, they use nameservers.

• @lukelarris of course but they won't have you change name servers. But they may change your assigned cf IPs. I doubt it though

• VPSSimonVPSSimon Member
    edited August 2013

@Rallias said:
    I'm saying the "Free" and "Professional" tiers are on the same nodes.

FREE/PRO is ok but some whos running big sites will notice it does cause a bit of middle lag, ESP for free users who dont install mod_cloudflare an whitelist CF ips on software firewalls. Otherwise you cause issues with rate limiting. Your asking for multiple servers in multiple locations for FREE lol. Dont expect miricles.

Business level is 100% Uptime as that is what CF is created for, Business protection; If you ant paying into pot then dont expect high end protection an speeds, at cost of FREE or $20 a month.

IN realistic terms the $200 price tag is alot cheaper than most commerical DDOS protection suites, Such as BlackDos.net who your looking at $2500 an above to have same level of ddos protection Even then blackdos sucks an is bypassed so easy an causes problems; I speak from experiance i have helped clients who used blackdos to protect an then switched to cloudflare saving 2300 a month an still having better uptime.

Depends how badly your site/company gets hit will depends on how worthwhile it is for you, Its a matter of figures. 100-200ms added to page load speeds, In return for 100% uptime. I don't think people get the concept it will slow down page loads if your server is serving the pages up slow to CF, Don't forget CF downloads your page then serves to client So there is a middle tier hense the 100-200ms delay added by minimum.

Adding any reverse proxy would clearly decrease page loads, CF mitigates such things with compressing an stuff to help serve to client quicker however you cant avoid the fact its reverse proxy loading thus its clearly going to add an delay as if 1 extra person is loading page before you. - Common sense?

And buisness i assume the IPS do change to Business only boxes, As soon as we upgraded to buisness level ips changed to more that was in squence rather than 2 random ass ranges. Although unsure if change of ip was due to cf updating all time or if was due to going to buisness. Pretty sure it would be business on its own boxes.

• Cloudflare's response about node policy:

"What is your node policy regarding free,pro,business and enterprise service."

Not sure if I understand your question. There's really no difference per se, but customers on a Business or Enterprise plan will be on different IPs and/or have more IPs for their site (5 versus 2).

Same nodes, different network segmentation and resource allocation.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited August 2013

@imperio Sounds like the pro plan only gets you some more functionality and features but no additional resource allocation/redundancy (which is why no enhanced "guarantee"). I assume here that each CF assigned IP segments you on an additional peice of hardware (plus of course geo redundancy via anycast)

• imperioimperio Member
    edited August 2013

Cloudflare agrees for the performance issues.According to their blog they are upgrading their nodes to 10gbps (they were using 6x1gbps intel cards) and will start using optimized network cards with 16million pps support and migrate their switches to low latency ones.I think its better to wait for their node upgrades for migration to business/enterprise plans.

http://blog.cloudflare.com/a-tour-inside-cloudflares-latest-generation-servers

First Reply:

Hello,

There will be an change on the way Google accesses CloudFlare soon as far as the Googlebot. Currently the Google bot is routed to Asia which makes the time "look" alot higher but with the upcoming change, the GoogleBot will stay closer and measure more favorably.

This change should take place in the next week or so approximately.

Thanks in advance

Second Reply:

Hello,

We didn't route the Google bot but it was done as a unexpected side affect of upstream routing.

Our data centers have been reaching capacity in some locations which is being alleviated by new additional servers and routing equipment which is already deployed in some centers.

Some optimization authors recommend loading javascript at the end of the page or with > something like the rocket loader.
    http://www.stevesouders.com/hpws/rules.php
    http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html
    https://support.cloudflare.com/entries/22063463-What-does-Rocket-Loader-do-

Again, the performance issues are bound to improve in the near term.

Regards