Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can be use to make 1 big VPS from dedicated server? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What can be use to make 1 big VPS from dedicated server?

Comments

• @marson said:

@yokowasis said:
    I think virtual box is the easiest one.

Virtual Box on a dedicated server? I thought that VB is only for a desktop users not for a Virtual Private Server. i.e what about GUI? Installing whole X.org server + VMC client just to create and manage VM is ridiculous or maybe I don't know something?
    @perryoo11 said:

@marson said:

@yokowasis said:
    I think virtual box is the easiest one.

Virtual Box on a dedicated server? I thought that VB is only for a desktop users not for a Virtual Private Server. i.e what about GUI? Installing whole X.org server + VMC client just to create and manage VM is ridiculous or maybe I don't know something?

Use proxmox it's better for dedicated servers.
    Instead of using destop apps.

Virtual box can run server os just fine.

Easy doesn't equal better.

• Proxmox or virtualizor will be better.

• @specvps_support said:
    Proxmox or virtualizor will be better.

Why virtualizor for 1 single VPS? It's idiotical. OP, use Proxmox and don't think about anything else.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@LTniger said:

@specvps_support said:

Why virtualizor for 1 single VPS? It's idiotical. OP, use Proxmox and don't think about anything else.

Why is it idiotic, please explain?

OP asked for alternatives, virtualizor is one, solus or Proxmox are others.
    you can also go CLI only if hardcore. Or even Vsphere. Why not Hyper-V??

I know this is LET, but if you call one thing idiotic, I would like to know why.

• KVM + libvirt

• @mikho said:

@LTniger said:

@specvps_support said:

Why is it idiotic, please explain?

OP asked for alternatives, virtualizor is one, solus or Proxmox are others.
    you can also go CLI only if hardcore. Or even Vsphere. Why not Hyper-V??

I know this is LET, but if you call one thing idiotic, I would like to know why.

Answer your-self why the heck do you need commercial panel for non-profit virtualization where only you operate dedicated server. Just use common sense and don't try to eat burger with tank.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@LTniger said:.

Answer your-self why the heck do you need commercial panel for non-profit virtualization where only you operate dedicated server. Just use common sense and don't try to eat burger with tank.

Why the angry approach?
    For a single dollar a month you get support from the developers of Virtualizor.
    Same with Solus, a higher price tag but you also get support (so I've heard).

Thats one advantage to a community supported version.

Common sense is presenting alternatives to the one who make the decision, then discuss on what alternative suits best.

Yelling out "use common sense, use my alternative" might not be the best option for the one who will run it later on.

• This is LET, stop trolling...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

LTniger said: This is LET, stop trolling...

Pretty sure you're the troll here.

LTniger said: Answer your-self why the heck do you need commercial panel for non-profit virtualization where only you operate dedicated server. Just use common sense and don't try to eat burger with tank.

It's not that weird...you're only talking $15/mo for the VPS license. Plenty of people run cpanel on their hobby/personal systems.

And besides...what does proxmox have to do with anything? The guy wants cpanel because he wants to use it for web administration, MySQL, etc. Proxmox won't solve that problem.

Given that he wants cpanel, the question then is whether to shave $20/mo off an overpriced control panel (by virtualizing) or not.

Just use common sense, right?

• So, you better use paid version vs free when you trying to save money by cheating cpanel? Are we still on the topic?

LTniger said: So, you better use paid version vs free when you trying to save money by cheating cpanel?

How is fully complying with the terms of their license agreement "cheating" them, especially when cpanel knows this is often done? Have you read the thread?

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • Answer my question, is it logical to use paid solution when your main goal is to save money?

LTniger said: Answer my question, is it logical to use paid solution when your main goal is to save money?

Sure. Possible reasons:

(a) OP only knows cpanel

(b) He wants to move other cpanel-hosted sites and doesn't have the technical skills to do anything other than a cpanel-to-cpanel

(c) virtualmin/vestacp suck. That's an opinion of course but it may be the OP's.

Etc. If he wants cpanel, then the question of whether he wants to virtualize the hardware to reduce cost is a separate consideration.

Anyway...you were about to point out where in the license agreement this constitutes cheating.

Thanked by 2Aidan mikho
  • My suggestion, use VMManager KVM from ispsystem.
    With free license you can make 2 vps with 16GB ram maks.

• @userandom said:
    My suggestion, use VMManager KVM from ispsystem.

2 vps = 2 license = 1 dedicated server license?

• @raindog308 said:

LTniger said: Answer my question, is it logical to use paid solution when your main goal is to save money?

Sure. Possible reasons:

(a) OP only knows cpanel

(b) He wants to move other cpanel-hosted sites and doesn't have the technical skills to do anything other than a cpanel-to-cpanel

(c) virtualmin/vestacp suck. That's an opinion of course but it may be the OP's.

Etc. If he wants cpanel, then the question of whether he wants to virtualize the hardware to reduce cost is a separate consideration.

Anyway...you were about to point out where in the license agreement this constitutes cheating.

(d) op is a fucktard and tries to Save 9$ a month for a cpanel vps license instead of a normal license.

• @jetchirag said:

@userandom said:

2 vps = 2 license = 1 dedicated server license?

1 dedicated = 2vps @8gb ram or 1vps @16gb ram

• @userandom said:

Looks nice but do you know what type of virtualisation can it be?

• userandomuserandom Member
    edited September 2017

@marson said:

@userandom said:

Looks nice but do you know what type of virtualisation can it be?

Openvz, kvm, cloud.

I'm just using them for kvm virtualization so i don't know much about their other virtualization.

You can check at :

https://doc.ispsystem.com/index.php/VMmanager_installation_guide

• Why don't you create NAT based LXC containers, this way you only need one cPanel VPS license for as many containers you would like. Perhaps you can even add ip's through cPanel on the containers :+

• marsonmarson Member
    edited September 2017

Hello

Again my cpanel migration comes back, I am almost ready to start but I need your advice. What virtualisation type are you recommend it for that 1 big VPS with cpanel? OpenVZ or KVM? I think that in this case the openvz will be better, due to less resource utilisation than KVM and because openvz don't allocate disk as a large file in advance so I think that openvz is easier to backup. Am I right? Or maybe I am wrong and you have other experience, please tell me your opinions.

BTW I think that I will try the VMmanager from ISPSystem https://www.ispsystem.com/software/vmmanager - for my scenario it will be totally free so can anyone tell me something more about this software?

Regards

• The last comment I've seen from a cpanel rep was that they would prefer that more then one vps was on the machine. Then they said it could be a 10 gig one and didn't have to be cpanel.

• P.r.o.x.m.o.x

• marsonmarson Member
    edited September 2017

@FoxelVox said:
    P.r.o.x.m.o.x

It is KVM right? so what with backup? if I for example create 1800 GB for cpanel, that big file will be created instantly so how to backup such big VPS? even if actual used space will be for example 200 GB. I also read somewhere that LXC containers are supported only by ubuntu, but cpanel requires centos-based distro, or maybe I am totally wrong? Please somebody explain.

• @marson said:

@FoxelVox said:
    P.r.o.x.m.o.x

It is KVM right? so what with backup? if I for example create 1800 GB for cpanel, that big file will be created instantly so how to backup such big VPS? even if actual used space will be for example 200 GB. I also read somewhere that LXC containers are supported only by ubuntu, but cpanel requires centos-based distro, or maybe I am totally wrong? Please somebody explain.

If you choose LXC with Proxmox, it only backups the used size to a remote FTP or a local folder on the server

• @marson said:

@FoxelVox said:
    P.r.o.x.m.o.x

I recommend kvm.
    So you can change kernels if you like at anytime without affecting the host node.
    And resources are dedicated to the virtual machine including more security options if im right.

Only openvz is easier to backup as it is container based.

Or just:

You want it fast and working: openvz
    Want to get it advanced and decent: kvm

• @marson said:

BTW I think that I will try the VMmanager from ISPSystem https://www.ispsystem.com/software/vmmanager - for my scenario it will be totally free so can anyone tell me something more about this software?

Regards

basically you just need to install the software (kvm or OVZ). Specify main IP and node. Install OS template. Make VM.

• @perryoo11 said:
    Only openvz is easier to backup as it is container based.

Or just:

You want it fast and working: openvz
    Want to get it advanced and decent: kvm

Alot of the security-risk with PV is from when you can't trust other people on the node. In this case though as the only person (all containers being his), there's very little risk in this regard. (both of snooping beyond container bounds or escape / elevation, and compromising the host)

Effectively, everything that people hate about VZ is a strength of VZ when using it for-yourself.

The overselling point becomes a "bonus" --- in that you don't have to know exactly how-much a container will need (ram, diskspace). Put another way oversell your own node to yourself, give everything overzealous memory and disk allocations, and then just watch the host's total consumption. All while still getting good enough isolation if say, your web-server, email server, or anything else is violated (compromised).

Advanced kernel needs like if mptcp is required can still be done with a lower-level virtualization and mixed in with VZ.

-Don't need to limit yourself to one hypervisor.

• @marson said:

@FoxelVox said:
    P.r.o.x.m.o.x

Use proxmox with KVM. Proxmox use thin provisioning. When you backup your VM, the size will be as much as your disk usage

• Don't forget to use qcow2 disk