Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Speedtest.net is designed for ADSL connections? Hetzner says so.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Speedtest.net is designed for ADSL connections? Hetzner says so.

According to Hetzner support it is. I was testing out a PX server there for my friend because he claimed the network was not good, yum update take forever to find a server and download updates, so I launched a few speedtest-cli tests, the results are below.

Tagging @Hetzner_OL

[root@earth ~]# ./speedtest-cli
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Hetzner (178.63.64.252)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by IT Ohlendorf (Salzgitter) [111.93 km]: 10.283 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 417.62 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 417.68 Mbit/s
[root@earth ~]# ./speedtest-cli --server 10928
Hosted by AllTele AB (Umea) [1529.10 km]: 41.97 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 318.45 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 406.75 Mbit/s
[root@earth ~]# ./speedtest-cli --server 4141
Hosted by Vodafone (Reykjavík) [2309.57 km]: 67.664 ms
Download: 306.96 Mbit/s
Upload: 98.76 Mbit/s
[root@earth ~]# ./speedtest-cli --server 3571
Hosted by MTA Communications (Eagle River, AK) [7354.82 km]: 207.913 ms
Download: 166.44 Mbit/s
Upload: 135.14 Mbit/s
[root@earth ~]# ./speedtest-cli --server 9171
Hosted by Converged Communication Solutions Limited (Aberdeen) [993.81 km]: 35.816 ms
Download: 281.19 Mbit/s
Upload: 261.03 Mbit/s
[root@earth ~]# ./speedtest-cli --server 8763
Hosted by TDC Group (Tranbjerg) [534.37 km]: 160.912 ms
Download: 348.95 Mbit/s
Upload: 462.19 Mbit/s
[root@earth ~]# ./speedtest-cli --server 3696
ERROR: No matched servers: 3696
[root@earth ~]# ./speedtest-cli --server 10602
Hosted by Aspire Technology Solutions (Gateshead) [843.05 km]: 37.008 ms
Download: 440.95 Mbit/s
Upload: 496.18 Mbit/s
[[root@earth ~]# ./speedtest-cli --server 10691
Hosted by ITLogic EU (Itzehoe) [292.72 km]: 388.504 ms
Download: 98.01 Mbit/s
Upload: 375.61 Mbit/s
[root@earth ~]# ./speedtest-cli --server 4314
Hosted by WEMACOM Telekommunikation (Schwerin) [290.44 km]: 15.504 ms
Download: 476.26 Mbit/s
Upload: 580.01 Mbit/s
Hosted by Iomart (Nottingham) [749.12 km]: 24.676 ms
Download: 594.56 Mbit/s
Upload: 371.31 Mbit/s

A support ticket was sent in and this is their response:

-
Dear Mr

speedtest.net is designed for ADSL connections. They cannot handle requests from a 1G dedicated connection.

Please test.
speed.hetzner.de

Kind regards

Naturally I tested their speedtest and ofcourse the server gets full speed from there as one would expect but not outside their network.

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited August 2017

So what's the problem here? Speeds look fine.

Of course you're not going to max out the 1gbps port by hitting a remote server as that's completely dependent on congestion and routes the traffic takes. In no way are you guaranteed to have a 1gbps connection to anywhere on the planet. You shouldn't have any issues maxing out the port by using simultaneous connections.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Their local server is naturally, well, local, so that will give you best 'speed' usually.

Instead of running unrelated tests, perhaps report an issue with connectivity to this particular friend, and supply the information they require to diagnose it.

• HostBasticHostBastic Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2017

If the server is taking long to find and download updates its most likely a configuration issue. Make sure that no firewall is blocking DNS responses, otherwise try to disable IPv6 temporarily.

• I had the same problem with the Hetzner EX41-server. I couldn’t find the culprit and had to cancel.

• Not true about speedtest and adsl speeds though depends on the test location and distance. On my Linode vps with speedtest i can pull 1400-1800Mbps from some locations.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Best effort you know

• As other's have said, yes it's not the 1Gbps full pipe, but them speeds should have 0 impact on a yum update

I would check your DNS resolver's and make sure there isn't a bottle neck elsewhere, what mirrors are you using for example? Try changing to another mirror in Germany.

• magicvpnmagicvpn Member
    edited August 2017

emilv said: speedtest.net is designed for ADSL connections. They cannot handle requests from a 1G dedicated connection.

1Gbps sometimes reaches 200mbps for me, 10gbps gives me 1,2gbps on speedtest.net. (depends on the servers etc...)

• WSSWSS Member

There was a time where this was true. There are/were also many whitelabel speedtest versions out that that various ISPs had to test from their own domains to get rid of problematic "I don't know how the internet works but your making it slow" customers.

Of course, that information is at least a decade out of date.

• It's also according to Speedtest themselves: beta.speedtest.net/about

It is indeed geared towards checking the speeds of your residential/business ISP, hence all of the ads for residential/business ISPs on it, telling you that your speed is in the xx-percent range of other ISPs in your country, asking you if you like your ISP, etc.

Are you experiencing an actual issue here or are you just seeing arbitrary numbers less than a pre-determined expectation with no underlying basis?

• nicenice Member

speedtest.net is designed for ADSL connections. They cannot handle requests from a 1G dedicated connection.

>

Please test. speed.hetzner.de

Bullshit, it doesn't matter at all and the support guy tells you to test within their own network, what a joke.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Nothing wrong with those numbers, seem pretty decent.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • MrFunkenMrFunken Member
    edited August 2017

First:
    speedtest.net is only for home connections.
    You never get 1Gibt/s result there. Reason: The Test server usual don't have more then 1Gibt/s also speedtest.net itself, block results over 2000Mbit/s and say they are invalid.

2nd:
    Speed is relative. DC intern you should get easy the full speed of the gibt port.
    Outside the DC, it depends on so many things. So you can't get a result, that is.. "final"?

The results, you have in your (crappy) post seems pretty decent.
    No resaon for a ticket or someting else.

• You've been here since July 2012, so I doubt that you'd be as naive to think that a 1gbps line can get 1gbps everywhere

Try rebuilding your RPM database perhaps?

yum clean all
    rpm --rebuilddb

If that doesn't solve it & it's still slow after a couple of hours - then change your mirror to a closer one.

• user54321user54321 Member
    edited August 2017

use iperf, speedtest.net is really shitty for speedtesting Gbit and above. Their servers may can deliver it, but the application with that you make the speedtest can't do that reliable.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • emilvemilv Member
    edited August 2017

Well, it has never been a problem using speedtest with my server at @Clouvider. I always get around 700-900Mb/s there so I guess I'm just spoiled. :)

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • many pops from speedtest.net are sponsored, so i dont think all of them have more than 1Gbps. i think that can be the reazon.

only if you select big bussines pops you can get a good speed test result.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • xaocxaoc Member

@MrFunken said:
    First:
    speedtest.net is only for home connections.

Why is there a speedtest.net app in my phone then?

• I think Hetzner is correct. Imagine that someone else in the world is testing speed with the same server at the same time with you.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Speedtest.net is not always reliable or accurate for servers with high bandwidth, and is designed to judge performance of home/business lines. Sure it's often just fine and tells you a great story, but others I've seen it entirely unable to do so. You should never rely on one single test to tell you the capability of your bandwidth.

• use iperf for bandwidth test.
    for yum update problem use fastestmirror plugin or change to official centos mirror

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@emilv Please see the post from @MrFunken. He's not from Hetzner Online, but his answer is pretty close to what my colleague from networking said. Thank you as well to some other LET posters who wrote similar things.
    We recommend using speed.hetzner.de because it reliable for servers with high bandwidth.

• not sure if it says anywhere that 1 Gbps is dedicated for your server, or if is shared with other servers... so you may be connected at 1 Gbps to the router, but have limited speed.

Either way, speedtest.net is not what you use for Gbps tests.
    You need to do multiple, concurrent downloads to see if it works.

Look at aria2 or axel and test from somewhere you know is 10Gbps.
    Or you can download multiple GB files from different providers,
    Or you can host a static html page with nginx and use a few thousand connections on loader.io to load test (it shows the network).

Also, open another shell and apt-get install bwm-ng (debian, ubuntu) to monitor realtime.

• Managed to get speedtest.net up to about 8Gbps at most before they blocked me from further requests. Majority of their servers won't even go that high though.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

@scaveney said:
    Managed to get speedtest.net up to about 8Gbps at most before they blocked me from further requests. Majority of their servers won't even go that high though.

You are legend of got more than 8 Gbps ;)

• MrFunkenMrFunken Member
    edited September 2017

@xaoc said:

Are you serious?
    Does your phone have a 100Gbit/s fiber port? Or something else?

@scaveney said:
    Managed to get speedtest.net up to about 8Gbps at most before they blocked me from further requests. Majority of their servers won't even go that high though.

Any proofs? Speedtest.net itself does not accept, results higher then 2Gbit/s even when you found a server that has enough bandwidth.

I've try it on a 10Gbit/s Server.

• How can you use yum properly on such a slow 400mbps connection.

• @MrFunken said:

@xaoc said:

Are you serious?
    Does your phone have a 100Gbit/s fiber port? Or something else?

>

It's not a home connection that's for sure..

This is the bandwidth: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/3108290419 .

• This is the bandwidth: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/3108290419 .

Maybe not in Moldova, though I've seen plenty of home connections running at 150/30

• Waiting for symmetrical fiber here. 250/250 is already available a few houses away from me. Can't wait.....