Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Methods of Detecting DDoS Automatically
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Methods of Detecting DDoS Automatically

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Hello all.

I'm wondering about methods of automatic DDoS detection on a simple network.

We have a network that uses VyOS based routers and 99.9% of the time there is no DDoS attack to worry about. Just in case though, we have a network on stand-by that handles very large attacks. During an attack, the network is switched over manually. The commands to push to the routers are exceedingly simple, but I'm wondering if there is an easy method of detecting that the traffic coming in is actually DDoS which in turn would trigger the enabling of the DDoS protected network.

Obviously traffic graphs and NetFlow are helpful, but at the moment the information is deciphered by a human who then takes action manually. It would be nice to have an automatic function for this.

Anyone have any suggestions what the best way to go about this would be?

If and out of the box solution exists, that would be great, otherwise I am open to programming this myself from scratch, or commissioning the work from someone here if they are able to do it faster/cheaper than I or my team.

Comments