Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many IPv6 do you expect with your VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many IPv6 do you expect with your VPS?

qenoxqenox Member
edited January 2012 in General

How many IPv6 do you expect with your VPS? What do you expect to pay for extra /64s?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Why would people pay for subnets exactly...?

Hosts are giving /48's to anyone with an ok sized allocation and that covers 65,000 /64's....

Francisco

• qenoxqenox Member
    edited January 2012

Why would people pay for subnets exactly...?

I'm sure someone will have some reason in mind why they must have subnets. Just like some insist of having ipv4 in different class Cs (but let's not start that discussion).

Allocations from arin do have an annual fee and there's administration involved, so I wouldn't say they are 0 cost items.

• qenoxqenox Member
    edited January 2012

@Francisco, I see you offer 16 IPv6 by default, so what if a client needs more? How did you settle on 16?

i normally work in a base 8 for everything ;)

If people ask they get it, but it's very rare to have someone ask for more. If you allow IRC then you might have some more, but probably not. If you don't offer IRC, I can't see anyone using more than 16.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • @Francisco, I hope that you can put what I am fixing to ask into Stallion. Can you please provide a way to change all the RDNS for the IPs in one shot? I hate having to change them all constantly. In fact, I hate it so much that I just don't do it. I think it would be great to change them all at one time, and then change them selectively for the ones that you want. I know this is off-topic, but I have been meaning ask about it for some time.

@dclardy - We plan to have all RDNS in a single page, listing all IP's and fields for each thing with a single 'update' button at the bottom, meaning you can update ipv4 & ipv6 in a single shot. You can then just run down the input boxes dropping in the entry you want :)

It's in the works.

Francisco

• [@dclardy said]I hate having to change them all constantly. In fact, I hate it so much that I just don't do it.

Why would you change them often?

Anyhow, back on topic please :)

• @Francisco said: @dclardy - We plan to have all RDNS in a single page, listing all IP's and fields for each thing with a single 'update' button at the bottom, meaning you can update ipv4 & ipv6 in a single shot. You can then just run down the input boxes dropping in the entry you want :)

It's in the works.

Francisco

This is why I love you guys! The simple things mean so much!

• @Francisco said: If you allow IRC then you might have some more,

lol.. very true..

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

I prefer some subnet with own nameservers which makes things somewhat more convenient when I need/want more vhosts, etc... for IRC and when I request I-lines for my IP subnet from IRC opers and that way avoiding k-lines, too many connections locally, etc.. when some other xy hosting client use (OR ABUSE) same IP range on my favourite IRC networks.
    As example you can easily get "too many connections globally" with some more popular host as buyVM on some networks like IRCnet. Not because people would abuse their service but because... well too many connections from same IP range which treat users as clones. With own subnet and IRC oper in good mood I can avoid that sometimes.
    So it's not that I need so many IPs but in some cases it could be helpful to control and be responsible for own subnet usage.

• @Spirit thanks! That makes sense... we recently receiver our IPv6 allocation and I'm trying to determine the best way to use it for the VPS accounts.

• @qenox in case that you will give out subnets I suggest you to implement customer ID number in each subnet as example customer with ID 207 can get something like :0207:0:0/96 and customer with ID 208 can get something like :0208:0:0/96 and so on... That way you will easier track potential abuse reports etc without too much work.

• /96 sounds strange. Either do a /64 per customer or don't do subnets at all.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

@rds100 said: /96 sounds strange.

Yes of course. I picked random subnet just as example.

@rds100 said: Either do a /64 per customer or don't do subnets at all.

But then again... some DCs allocate /64 for whole server so you can't give out exactly /64 for every vps client don't you think? And in case of my own nameserver preference to control rDNS by myself even "strange" subnet range will do it.

• @Spirit, interesting suggestion; we have a DB that maintains IP to client though and rDNS is a must.

• @Spirit, for dedicated we'll definitely assign the /64.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

Yeah, that was my thought so with /64 allocation per node vps provider can't always give /64 to every individual vps client, but unlike @rds100 said that should not be a reason why not to give then some smaller subnet to vps clients.

• I think that every DC would give more than a /64 for a dedicated server, if asked nicely and explained why you need it. Not like they would run out of /56s or that they can't get more if they really run out.

• Agreed, well, I'll decide this week :) We should have our /32 shortly, so it's not like we'll run out quickly, but I also don't want to cause a management headache.

• @rds100 said: if asked nicely and explained why you need it

What would you imagine would be a reason though? :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

@rds100 said: I think that every DC would give more than a /64 for a dedicated server, if asked nicely

I am wondering if that's matter with some bigger players like OVH and Hetzner. I don't think that you can really negotitate for your server or two.. with some Hetzner :)

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • @qenox Reason - "i am VPS provider and i want to give to each of my customers a /64 subnet".

• @Spirit if they can give /27 or /26 ipv4 i don't see why they wouldn't give /56 ipv6. Ask them, if you are a customer of theirs and tell us what they reply :)

• qenoxqenox Member
    edited January 2012

@rds100 I guess I did ask for an example :) But I don't think a /64 per VPS account would be something I'd get into. edit: I think I've just changed my mind on that ;)

Keeping track and managing that isn't 0 cost.

I am looking for a good reason that I haven't though of yet :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

@rds100 I am not their customer :) But what I am saying is that all providers (specially in budget segment) aren't that flexible and you can't take your suggestion as granted.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

@qenox one reason? :-) From host perspective? Marketing.
    Take as example here at LEB/LET pretty reputable vps provider Evorack. People love them. Not just because IPv6 of course but wherever people write review about them they don't forget to mention something like "you can get /64 IPv6 with own nameservers to control rDNS by yourself... wow" - and that's not something what many VPS providers have to offer but sooner or later most of them will.

• qenoxqenox Member
    edited January 2012

@Spirit, interesting; I didn't think most clients wanted to bother with it; but that's something to think about.

Thanks!

• Well OK, doesn't hurt to try and ask the dedi provider for a bigger ipv6 assignment. The worse that can happen is for them to say "no" :)
    Besides there could be also good technical reason why it is not a good idea to route smaller than /64 subnets - router TCAM. Whether you need 64 bits of TCAM space per ipv6 route or 128 bits. Granted linux is not hardware router and doesn't have TCAM, it is still usually considered that routing/assigning smaller than a /64 subnet does not make much sense.

• qenoxqenox Member
    edited January 2012

@ rds100, definitely agree on not going smaller than a /64.

• @Spirit said: I am wondering if that's matter with some bigger players like OVH and Hetzner. I don't think that you can really negotitate for your server or two.. with some Hetzner :)

agree..

For our facilities, we have the following /32 Netz: 2001:41D0::/32

http://help.ovh.ie/Ipv4Ipv6

not really big eh!?