Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LVM Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LVM Help

Hello LET,

i've got a Wholesaleinternet server with 4 drives, it can be just installed with their templates.
The problem is that they using LVM and i have no idea how to use it right.

Can somebody tell me how to create for example a raid 5 or 10 with it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Soft RAID would typically be below the LVM layer. Technically you can create the soft RAID on top, but depending on how the template configures LVM it's likely to be a bad/unsafe option.

Try running

pvdisplay

to list the physical disk configuration and

vgdisplay

to list any "volume groups" which may consist of one or more physical disks.

• WSSWSS Member

You are kind of limited on your install template options with WSI. The best I've been able to get it to automagically do is setup SW RAID; I never got anything LVM working. Subscribed to thread.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited August 2017

Technically LVM can create raid LV-s by itself, from lvcreate manpage:

--type SegmentType
                      Creates  a  logical  volume  with the specified segment type.  Supported types are: cache, cache-pool, error, linear,
                      mirror, raid1, raid4, raid5_la, raid5_ls (= raid5), raid5_ra,  raid5_rs,  raid6_nc,  raid6_nr,  raid6_zr  (=  raid6),
                      raid10,  snapshot,  striped,  thin,  thin-pool  or  zero.  Segment type may have a commandline switch alias that will
                      enable its use.  When the type is not explicitly specified an implicit type is selected from combination of  options:
                      -H|--cache|--cachepool (cache or cachepool), -T|--thin|--thinpool (thin or thinpool), -m|--mirrors (raid1 or mirror),
                      -s|--snapshot|-V|--virtualsize (snapshot or thin), -i|--stripes (striped).  Default segment type is linear.

But to be honest i never tried something other than mirror. Used mirror to online-migrate LV between PV-s.

Also, if everything is installed on one HDD, no matter with LVM or not, it is possible to create mdraid with one missing device using remaining drives, migrate OS there, boot from it and rebuild to old OS drive.

Show lsblk output, it is hard to give any advice without knowing how it is currently configured.