Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you run a seedbox on Kimsufi 2G (The famed 2.99 EUR plan) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can you run a seedbox on Kimsufi 2G (The famed 2.99 EUR plan)

2»

Comments

• ztecztec Member

off-topic shit

• skaska Member
    edited July 2013

@netomx said:
    what?! Settlers went to North America, from the Beringia ice bridge.

Afaik, it was Vespucci who first reached South America as the first European to ever reach America. At least that's what is tought at school here.

@ztec said:
    off-topic shit

That's right. But the question of TO is answered and we're on LET here.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@ska said:
    Afaik, it was Vespucci who first reached South America as the first European to ever reach America. At least that's what is tought at school here.

I think we're on different channels. As I recall, Vespucci WAS the first one, but Cristobal was the famous one (or something like that). I was talking about the first ppl in America... 2 diff channels.

on topic:

I don't know if you can run a torrent there XD

• skaska Member
    edited July 2013

@netomx said:
    I think we're on different channels. As I recall, Vespucci WAS the first one, but Cristobal was the famous one (or something like that). I was talking about the first ppl in America... 2 diff channels.

I was referring to the one who gave the continent the name as the off-topic discussion was what America is and where the North/South-ting comes from. :-)

• gosh guys, what happened in this thread? it's like watching the ruins of a once great question.

• To be honest, I don't see what America being America has to do with a Kimsufi server. Bunch of history teachers, in here. ;)

• skaska Member

@DennisdeWit said:
    To be honest, I don't see what America being America has to do with a Kimsufi server. Bunch of history teachers, in here. ;)

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/301535/#Comment_301535 :-)

• VPSSimonVPSSimon Member
    edited July 2013

@DennisdeWit said:
    To be honest, I don't see what America being America has to do with a Kimsufi server. Bunch of history teachers, in here. ;)

I was purely referring to the legal aspect of DMCA is a UNITED STATES only LAW, An does not apply to canada. An the confusion with it being called northern america, I still don't think that makes DMCA apply's to canada however only one best way to know, Contact OVH's datacenter in canada an ask them.

Everyone was debating the geography of it.I couldn't care about that, I was purely debating the LAW aspect, An what laws apply to what jurisdictions. - Cudn't care less what canada is called, My comments was based on Purely jurisdiction wise as i was trying to answer the orginal question asked in regards to torrenting.

Although OVH are one of the few companys who even jump on DMCA in EU an cancel people even tho it doesn't apply, So personally i'd say ring em an get em to email you an put in writing the legal side of it to prevent issues in future.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2013

@VPSSimon said:
    Yes i did read it. I skim read it; An just re-read it an facepalmed myself >.<

I still call canada canada an not americas.

You're not crazy. Everyone on the internet likes to correct every little technically incorrect statement to puff out their e-chest, but in a one on one conversation not a single one of them would ask you "What country?" if you said "America" even though "America" is not a country. It's still an extremely common way to quickly refer to the US, and still quite rare that someone refers to Canada by spelling out "The North American nation of Canada." So it's not, in any way, an unbelievably idiotic misconception to be briefly put off by a Canadian business being referenced by "America" rather than "Canada." Not everyone thinks like a geography book. I am sure that OVH is not unaware that such a misconception may work in their favor in marketing.

As for everyone who feels the need to constantly belittle people for tiny little misconceptions, get a life.

Thanked by 2VPSSimon perennate
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2013

@VPSSimon said:
    Although OVH are one of the few companys who even jump on DMCA in EU an cancel people even tho it doesn't apply, So personally i'd say ring em an get em to email you an put in writing the legal side of it to prevent issues in future.

Well, the geography clearly matters. At first you said that DMCA applies to OVH, but that stemmed from confusion about "North America" referring to the U.S.A. instead of the continent. You said you were debating the law aspect, but then you were just debating with yourself :P

As far as whether DMCA has jurisdiction over OVH, there's nothing to debate since OVH is based in France and datacenter is in Canada.

For original question, if OVH doesn't get an email then they won't care, if they do then there's a high chance you will get suspended because they want to avoid any potential legal trouble at 3eur/mo.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2013

@perennate said:
    For original question, if OVH doesn't get an email then they won't care, if they do then there's a high chance you will get suspended because they want to avoid any potential legal trouble at 3eur/mo.

For 10 eur/mo is the same. Nobody wants trouble. 100 Eur is not worth a raid and hardware seizure, in time even extraordinary renditions or SWAT troops on the roof like in NZ.

US can impose their law on everyone, even on EU citizens/businesses.

However, I think risking 9 Eur, even if you are suspended the first day for good, is worth it. You may never be caught. Just be prudent and dont hog the bw too much, they will then look for any reason to suspend you, and if not, DDoS can be used at any time, even if you are not torrenting, therefore, stay low and nothing bad will happen.

• Yay, another warez promoting thread on LET, who would have thunk?!

• lycidelycide Member

I'm running a seedbox on my ks 2g right now. OVH seem to throttle bittorrent but its usable at least.

• @lycide said:
    I'm running a seedbox on my ks 2g right now. OVH seem to throttle bittorrent but its usable at least.

False. You're probably just not getting enough leechers, increase your connection limits.

• wychwych Member

@lycide said:

Using standard port/no encryption? Also if throttled is it that IP or your account that is limited?

• Can I use ovh for torrent downloading. Non EU person so from where to buy

• You can do loads with the n2800 they provide. I'm running all sorts of things on it from a VPN to websites, email etc. I'm sure a seedbox is fine. I think my n2800 is a bargain for what you get.

• @Maounique said:
    However, I think risking 9 Eur, even if you are suspended the first day for good, is worth it. You may never be caught. Just be prudent and dont hog the bw too much, they will then look for any reason to suspend you, and if not, DDoS can be used at any time, even if you are not torrenting, therefore, stay low and nothing bad will happen.

I totally agree with this. The US is really out of hand, and everyone is afraid of their bullying. Maybe in the future, balance will be restored, but as of right now we (almost everyone in the world) is living in the United States of Bullying known as America.

Yep, we need another America Civilian War ;-P

• I'm using my kimsufi as a 24/7 torrent machine. For instance, I got bad internet since I live in the woods. 8 mbit wont do good on big torrents such as 100+ gb's since speeds are going up and down all the time. So my box downloads all torrents I need and then I download em off the box :)

Pretty sad for a a guy who lives in Sweden.... But that's it.

On the other hand, A seedbox would be fine.

• I use in for torrenting

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Tons of private torrent trackers host with OVH, you'll blend in just fine.