Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help migrating from MariaDB to MySQL
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help migrating from MariaDB to MySQL

I have a very weird problem with MariaDB. Atleast once in a day, MariaDB would refuse any remote connection. It lasts for a few hours and will be fixed by its own. I have tried to change the port, restart the process, playing around with the config, none worked. I couldn't find any error in the log either.
Anyone had this problem? I am really desperate for a solution.

I migrated to MySQL for a while, until last week, I couldn't add a new user due to modification that MariaDB did to the database. Now I am back with MariaDB with the same issue again. I didn't have this issue with MySQL, so I want to migrate back to it.

The problem is, how to completely migrate to MySQL from MariaDB and retain the users and passwords? Also long downtime is not acceptable.

I am using Ubuntu 16.04, MariaDB 10.2.7.

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

They're essentially the same thing. Fix your backup/crontab/etc that's causing the lock/downtime.

You can always look in the manual where it says how to export the DB in compatibility mode. You won't want to dump and restore the same user table for obvious reasons. Do that manually.

• psycholyzern said: The problem is, how to completely migrate to MySQL from MariaDB and retain the users and passwords? Also long downtime is not acceptable.

You don't. This is not something anyone sane would do unless you for whatever reason are forced into a support contract for pro MySQL.

Most today you see that runs MySQL is in reality MariaDB behind it. For reasons.

• WSSWSS Member

I can only wonder how he managed to install both without completely pooching his databases. Whatever distribution it is, it certainly has some smart logic behind it.

• @WSS said:
    I can only wonder how he managed to install both without completely pooching his databases. Whatever distribution it is, it certainly has some smart logic behind it.

OP said remotely ,assume different server

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

@qtwrk said:
    OP said remotely ,assume different server

Good point.

• JohnRoeJohnRoe Member
    edited August 2017

@WSS said:
    They're essentially the same thing. Fix your backup/crontab/etc that's causing the lock/downtime.

You can always look in the manual where it says how to export the DB in compatibility mode. You won't want to dump and restore the same user table for obvious reasons. Do that manually.

"Compatibility mode". Thanks, thats produce more relevant search result. Also by manually, you mean I need to recreate users?

@William said:

psycholyzern said: The problem is, how to completely migrate to MySQL from MariaDB and retain the users and passwords? Also long downtime is not acceptable.

You don't. This is not something anyone sane would do unless you for whatever reason are forced into a support contract for pro MySQL.

Most today you see that runs MySQL is in reality MariaDB behind it. For reasons.

Oh. The issue I am having with MariaDB is making me crazy. I have no choice other than go back to MySQL.

@WSS said:

I am sorry for not clearly explaining the situation.

• I started to use my new server with MariaDB long time ago. Since then, I was having an issue where MariaDB would refuse remote connection atleast once in a day.

• Desperately looking for solution, I took a decision to remove MariaDB and reinstall MySQL.

• Magically, all my databases were still intact after I installed MySQL. I assume that I didn't managed to do clean removal of MariaDB.

• I continue using MySQL without any issue.

• Last week, I wanted to add a user, but then having an error causing by modification that have been made by MariaDB in table 'mysql'.

• I migrated once again to MariaDB because I need to add a new user.

• The same issue also coming back.

Local connection always works. What randomly refused is remote connection that lasts for hours.

• WSSWSS Member

You will need to recreate your user table. If your existing setup worked after moving from MariaDB to MySQL, without losing things, you're damn lucky.

Yes, the 'mysql' table won't be the same. Figure WHY it's breaking, and deal with that. It's not a MariaDB problem.

• IamIam Member

Just install MySQL on your other server and than export import the databases.

• @WSS said:
    You will need to recreate your user table. If your existing setup worked after moving from MariaDB to MySQL, without losing things, you're damn lucky.

Yes, the 'mysql' table won't be the same. Figure WHY it's breaking, and deal with that. It's not a MariaDB problem.

I think I can compare table 'mysql' by MariaDB with the one that came with MySQL. But the risk something else might be broken also exist. I will think about it a bit more and choose whether I should work on table 'mysql' or just do CLEAN installation of MySQL. Thanks a lot.

@Iam said:
    Just install MySQL on your other server and than export import the databases.

This surely will work, but I was looking for a simpler solution if exist. But yeah, I have no choice.
    By moving my database to a new server, I need to figure out how to merge newly written entries on old server into the new one that happen while I was migrating. Also, I need to spend my time recreating all users and updating their password in all my apps apps. Btw, thanks. I will think about this a bit more.

• WSSWSS Member

You need to decide to shit, or get off the pot- to be blunt.

Changing between MySQL builds isn't as simple as replacing one with the other. The fact you've gone between MariaDB and MySQL without issues, well, is damn lucky.

Export everything and reimport, or figure out the problem that causes MariaDB to fail.

• @JordanS said:
    Have you tried dbForge Studio for MySQL? This tool can help you in migrating from [...]

You signed up to necropost?

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

He sure did. But now it's a goodbye :)

Thanked by 1angstrom
This discussion has been closed.