Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Fire TV Stick - Block Advertising - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Amazon Fire TV Stick - Block Advertising

2»

Comments

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2017

@MasonR said:

@PUSHRcdn said:
    Just check if you can really block the ads with the Pi-Hole first. I was running one on a VPS for me and a few redditors up until 2 months ago, and youtube ads were never fully blocked. Not sure why. Still did a great job with every other ad.

If the ads are injected straight into the video stream -- i.e. there isn't a separate connection out to the ad service -- then I see how that could be an issue and pihole wouldn't really help you there.

That might be it. It would not explain why some times the ads were blocked and other times not, tho. But I admit I did not take much of an effort to figure it out. At the time the idea was to see if Pi-Hole could run on a cheap VPS, as the install script was not working on a Ubuntu VPS (I believe it does now). The fine people over at DigitalOcean offered credit so I can run the service longer and then it snowballed and started serving millions of requests per day. I had to put it down recently as my time became very limited, and I was risking an abuse on the provider's network as this was an open resolver. And I never really got to playing around with youtube blocking, so I may be wrong and maybe blocking youtube ads is something trivial.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Curious, if you block the ads, are you just left staring at a blank screen for 2 minutes?

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2017

@Nekki said:
    Curious, if you block the ads, are you just left staring at a blank screen for 2 minutes?

In Youtube, if the Pi-Hole blocks them, you wait a second or two and the video starts. As if it simply takes longer to load. With pop ups you stare at the default Pi-Hole page instead of the real ad, but the pop up window itself still fires.