Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crashplan no longer offer Crashplan for Home subscriptions - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Crashplan no longer offer Crashplan for Home subscriptions

2»

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2017

I use OSX already so this makes sense, even if i would not trust it at all it would be still there with root access. Further both filevault and the APFS/HFS+ encryption are proven secure.

• WSSWSS Member

@William said:

I use OSX already so this makes sense, even if i would not trust it at all it would be still there with root access. Further both filevault and the APFS/HFS+ encryption are proven secure.

I still want Apple to bring back UFS. Rember when that was an option- until they decided that nobody was smart enough to handle case?

The fact that Apple's ZIP/etc still have proprietary storage to handle data which is normally stored by tar/gzip, well- I don't know. tarballs still work for me, 30 years on.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

William said: I only trust Apple with time machine, and even that only using local encryption.

Oddly, Time Machine has been a bigger headache for me than CP. Seems every new OS version breaks it completely.

El Cap broke mine, and Sierra did again. Right now I'm once again "waiting for initial backup to complete" (to a Synology NAS that sits about .5 meters from the Mac).

One that's working, I can fix my wife's laptop which backed up fine for months and then one day suddenly stopped working...which is what happens way too often with TimeMachine in my world.

• caracalcaracal Member
    edited August 2017

Just wondering.. how would one backup their Time Machines offsite? I run it with a portable hard disk directly plugged into the iMac.

Also, anyone tried UrBackup https://www.urbackup.org/ ?

• raindog308 said: Oddly, Time Machine has been a bigger headache for me than CP. Seems every new OS version breaks it completely.

Hm, we do not use Apple for the server side, never had issues - only have to get new volume on new OS version, which makes sense for me anyway.

caracal said: Just wondering.. how would one backup their Time Machines offsite? I run it with a portable hard disk directly plugged into the iMac.

Ceph, DRBD, rsync... depends how you use it, local on a mac your options are extremely limited.

• @WSS said:
    I still want Apple to bring back UFS. Rember when that was an option- until they decided that nobody was smart enough to handle case?

>

I think that was more because they had to handle resource forks for backwards compatibility to Mac OS 9.

Being able to read and write UFS would be nice. F2FS, XFS, and ext would be nice too.

The fact that Apple's ZIP/etc still have proprietary storage to handle data which is normally stored by tar/gzip, well- I don't know. tarballs still work for me, 30 years on.

>

Does it at least create valid zip files? (I haven't tried this. I don't use zip files.) MS's built in zip utility creates files that can't be opened by the CLI zip/unzip utility.

• WSSWSS Member

@flatland_spider said:

@WSS said:

>

I think that was more because they had to handle resource forks for backwards compatibility to Mac OS 9.

Being able to read and write UFS would be nice. F2FS, XFS, and ext would be nice too.

No. Guess someone forgot Rhapsody. :D

• @raindog308 said:
    Backblaze doesn't support Linux.

I'd be giving them money if it would. >:(

Jungle Disk, SpiderOak, and tarsnap support Linux with tarsnap supporting FreeBSD as well.

• Backblaze doesn't support Linux.

You can use it with rclone.

• WSSWSS Member

@KnownHostChrisM said:

You can use it with rclone.

• could
  • @WSS said:
    No. Guess someone forgot Rhapsody. :D

>

That was before my time. I was a kid living in the middle of nowhere surviving off of software CDs from magazines and books at the time.

Was it not in the early versions of OS X? I thought that was Rhapsody plus Quartz for a little bit.

• WSSWSS Member

Rhapsody wasn't OSX. OSX is BSD on top of a Mach kernel. It's NeXTOS, basically.

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • @KnownHostChrisM said:

You can use it with rclone

Only b2 as far as I know. The home unlimited edition doesn't support third party clients

• HxxxHxxx Member

So code42 lost the fight. I saw this coming.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2017

flatland_spider said: Does it at least create valid zip files?

Yes. It also unzips protected ones and does gzip and similar for extraction, plus you OBVIOUSLY do get gzip (even multi core, in linux world pigz) on CLI.

flatland_spider said: I think that was more because they had to handle resource forks for backwards compatibility to Mac OS 9.

This, by now irrelevant.

The next thing now is APFS which is somewhat ZFS based.

flatland_spider said: Being able to read and write UFS would be nice. F2FS, XFS, and ext would be nice too.

Well you have OSXFuse and this does mount pretty much anything with no deep system access; and to be honest that is more than Windows does even with heavy work and a tool for each FS separately instead of a fuse kernel module...

On side note OSX security does have some weird features now; i can kernel panic my MBA by mounting an external (USB3) drive, blocking R/W from kernel or on the device (activate HW write lock) and then pull the cable - That seems to be not expected and triggers a sec trap seemingly for Thunderbolt security preventing replacing devices live and re-use the PCIe for DMA access.

Weird, maybe because the assumption is based on the new USB-C ports entirely rather than the device actually using TB (as both the TB3 and the USB 3.1 is provided by the Alpine Ridge controller from Intel, thus it is the same root PCIe tree).

• @William said:

flatland_spider said: I think that was more because they had to handle resource forks for backwards compatibility to Mac OS 9.

This, by now irrelevant.

Yes, yes it is. HFS+ is finally dead.

I haven't really looked into APFS, so I'm not sure what HFS+ features were implemented.

Well you have OSXFuse and this does mount pretty much anything with no deep system access; and to be honest that is more than Windows does even with heavy work and a tool for each FS separately instead of a fuse kernel module...

That is true. Windows is much worse.

I'm just annoyed I have to use FAT on flash drives and can't use LUKS plus a decent FS out of the box.

Code42 has made sure that every I is dotted and every T is crossed in their abandonment of home users...even home user-to-user backups will be terminated.

• pcanpcan Member

I guess that a dedicated server is still the way to go to avoid issues. Is still Soyoustart ARM-6T the cheapest dedicated server with more than 4Gb storage? They user to offer 8Tb at the same price point, but 6Tb is still good.

I rented one recently, and the Openmediavault template works perfectly. The underlining Debian release is standard. It can also be upgraded to the latest Erasmus release and the NFS share can be mounted directly by a ESXi host. A backup is as easy as to right click on the virtual machine in the ESXi console and select Clone. The upload bandwith is OK-ish, the download from outside the OVH network is not so good. I measured half the upload speed from my location. It would be useful to have another option anyway, perhaps with a better network and even lower price. Am I dreaming?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

pcan said: Is still Soyoustart ARM-6T the cheapest dedicated server with more than 4Gb storage?

There has been a thread about that recently: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/122372/can-the-sys-arm-2gb-ram-4tb-hd-server-for-28-be-beaten-in-price-unlimited-bw/p1

Thanked by 1pcan
  • @flatland_spider said:

@William said:

This, by now irrelevant.

Yes, yes it is. HFS+ is finally dead.

I haven't really looked into APFS, so I'm not sure what HFS+ features were implemented.

That is true. Windows is much worse.

I'm just annoyed I have to use FAT on flash drives and can't use LUKS plus a decent FS out of the box.

All plus deduplication which HFS+ did not have.

The ext4 and such is licensing issues - having this native would require Apple to publish source, which they do not want.

• edited August 2017

@William said:
    All plus deduplication which HFS+ did not have.

>

Interesting.

The ext4 and such is licensing issues - having this native would require Apple to publish source, which they do not want.

>

I get the licensing issue. I was assuming they would write their own, like they did with SMBX, or or use code from one of the BSDs if it was available. Mostly write their own drivers though. The LUKS project publishes a standard others can use to implement clients, and ext4 has been around a while.

Apple already publishes lots of source code, so I'm not sure that's their problem. https://opensource.apple.com/

This is kind of getting off topic.

• raindog308 said: even home user-to-user backups will be terminated.

This one is what pisses me off the most. I'm having trouble finding comparable solutions that are easy enough for less tech-savvy family to handle. So far Arq is the closest with the SFTP support. Still not Ronco set-it-and-forget-it level :(

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2017

flatland_spider said: Apple already publishes lots of source code, so I'm not sure that's their problem

This is way less than even .1% of the macOS source, and a FS would require t publish other parts as well (like the mounting and the security parts). Apple publishes what Apple has to publish, and not even that fully, because by this they should actually publish most of the mach base kernel by the BSD license.

In fact i'm not even sure that by % of OS Microsoft publishes more source than Apple...

flatland_spider said: Interesting.

Also, assuming what i see on my Mac Pro - APFS can now also post-bootloader decrypt, thus contains it's own bootloader/decryption combination signed somewhere allowing you to boot to the OS/user selection like before without actually bothering the EFI.

This changes a lot for the classic Mac Pro users as, if staying like this, it will negate the need for Apple EFI GPUs to see a bootloader/decryption screen.

I however doubt we see deduplication in normal OS usage, this probably ends up being part of the server addon, formerly known as OSX Server. Why can be argued about, but as it needs a lot of RAM (as does ZFS, by design how dedup works) they'll probably do not want the average user to enable this on a 1TB HDD in a 2009 Macbook Pro or similar.

For now, in Beta 6, it works nicely for my USB drive aside of format bugs (need to retry 3-4 times, but this MIGHT be actually the USB 3.1 card i use, or the RAID chassis stick), including encryption and as both case sensitive and insensitive. But this is most i care about; it works and has HFS+ advantages that i don't see yet (and probably never really will on prosumer scale).

William said: The next thing now is APFS which is somewhat ZFS based.

It's...something. As this post observes, there is scant information about it from Apple, which is somewhat scary considering the next OS rev may force it. Then again, if users don't want technical decisions forced down their throats, they shouldn't be using Apple products.

https://bombich.com/blog/2017/07/07/pondering-conversion-from-hfs-apfs

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2017

True, but keep in mind there was at start not really more info about ReFS or HFS+ either; this is hardly an Apple only thing. The only way to use APFS right now is a Beta OS, so this is all i expect currently as well.

Thanked by 1raindog308