Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exim ratelimit
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Exim ratelimit

RazzaRazza Member

I got a server that i use to provided hosting for family and friends website, to limit the effect on the server ip reputation incase a website or email account is compromised i've rate limited the amount of email that a user can send a hour using

deny message = User: $authenticated_id is sending too much emails limit: $sender_rate / $sender_rate_period
  ratelimit = 150 / 1h / $authenticated_id

I also rate-limted smtp user too.

Which work's fine, after a user hit the limit Exim will just reject anymore email for that user until the user is under quota again, is there anyway to make Exim just queue up outgoing email for user that are over the rate rate and then deliver them when the user is under quota that way you don't lose any emails the user try to send when hes over the limit they are just delayed.

Ryan

Comments

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Ideally the mailserver should reject message when the user sends mail and is over quota. Accepting the mail and queuing for later might cause unwanted confusion.

This is a client side issue and should remain one. Almost all clients (SendLater in Thunderbird for example) support scheduling later delivery.

Pavin.

• WSSWSS Member

Change it from a denial to a deferral?

Thanked by 1Razza
  • mailcheap said: Ideally the mailserver should reject message when the user sends mail and is over quota. Accepting the mail and queuing for later might cause unwanted confusion.

I do agree with that myself, just one of user i host getting a bit bitchy why mail client not letting him send the email, i was only trying to find out if it were possible to have Exim do that mainly to keep him quiet.

• WSS said: Change it from a denial to a deferral?

Did a quick test that works fine if the email client put the email into outbox of the client and retry later to send it, some clients like Thunderbird that dose not work as it won't let you send the email even if it's just a temp smtp error.

• WSSWSS Member

@Razza said:

WSS said: Change it from a denial to a deferral?

Did a quick test that works fine if the email client put the email into outbox of the client and retry later to send it, some clients like Thunderbird that dose not work as it won't let you send the email even if it's just a temp smtp error.

What a shitty MUA.

• @Razza
    I had a similar thread here
    Multiple Exim ACLs to Limit outgoing mails

and on VestaCP forums

Might help you :)

Thanked by 1Razza
  • @mehargags said:
    @Razza
    I had a similar thread here
    Multiple Exim ACLs to Limit outgoing mails

and on VestaCP forums

Might help you :)

I got the code for ratelimit off that page on vestaCp forums i've edited the message wording a bit, i've also added condition = ${if !eq{$originator_uid}{$exim_uid}} to each of the ratelimit acl under acl_not_smtp to stop email sent by exim it self getting rate limit e.g bounce notifications.