Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi or Online.net ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi or Online.net ?

sammsamm Member

Hi LET Members, today I was lucky and got both low level dedi servers.

Kimsufi - KS1 Atom D425 - 2GB - 1x500GB (4.99+9.99+VAT)

Online.net - XC DEALS 1701.2 - Intel C2750 2.40GHz - 8GB RAM - 120 GB SSD (6.99 + no setup fee + no VAT)

I want to know which one is better and which one should I keep? I am not that heavy power user and will use my server as a seedbox only for private tracker. All I want to do is add torrent and seed them as long as I can to build ratio and I won't use Plex either.

Also Kimsufi charged me VAT. I live in India but don't know why they charged me VAT while online.net didn't charge any VAT. I opened ticket and see if they will refund me VAT. Is there any Non-EU user got charged VAT ? All suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

samm said: Atom D425

Did you really get D425, or Atom N2800 as many of those seem to get instead?

The Online.net server is a better deal in general, unless you need more disk space (the 500GB on KS) for your seedbox. Maybe you should have tried for XC Deals 1701.1 with the 1TB HDD.

• If you're comfortable deleting old torrents frequently, online's 1Gbit pipe probably serves as seedbox better. Though kimsufi 500GB isn't that much either.
    In order to remove VAT, you need to submit license+recent bill to support. However, those VAT which you already paid probably can't be refunded per kimsufi website

** VAT isn't refundable to non-European customers

• sammsamm Member
    edited August 2017

rm_ said: Did you really get D425, or Atom N2800

Yes, I got Atom D425. Is that bad processor than Atom N2800?

I'll try for XC Deals 1701.1 as there is no setup fee for these deals so I am good with that but it was not available so very hard to get it.

• sammsamm Member

layfon said: If you're comfortable deleting old torrents frequently, online's 1Gbit pipe probably serves as seedbox better. Though kimsufi 500GB isn't that much either.

yes, that is what I planned to do. 500GB is enough for me as I am not that heavy user but 120GB is very less. It was available so I got it.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited August 2017

@samm said:

rm_ said: Did you really get D425, or Atom N2800

Yes, I got Atom D425. Is that bad processor than Atom N2800?

I'll try for XC Deals 1701.1 as there is no setup fee for these deals so I am good with that but it was not available so very hard to get it.

They're both pretty bad. Comparing the benchmark scores to the online.net's C2750, the C2750 gets about 10x better performance. Though I do prefer OVH's network (kimsufi) vs. online.net's, even though it's limited to 100 mbps. If you need extra HDD space and the KS1's processor handles the seedbox well, then stick with it. If not, the online.net box is a better deal.

You're going to get a lot of differing opinions in here so you might as well just test the two for the month that you have them and then make a decision as to which one you want to keep.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Atom C2750 has 3.8k bench vs Atom D425 has something like 400.

Performance wise online.net but network wise ovh.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@samm said:
    Hi LET Members, today I was lucky and got both low level dedi servers.

Kimsufi - KS1 Atom D425 - 2GB - 1x500GB (4.99+9.99+VAT)

Online.net - XC DEALS 1701.2 - Intel C2750 2.40GHz - 8GB RAM - 120 GB SSD (6.99 + no setup fee + no VAT)

I want to know which one is better and which one should I keep? I am not that heavy power user and will use my server as a seedbox only for private tracker. All I want to do is add torrent and seed them as long as I can to build ratio and I won't use Plex either.

Also Kimsufi charged me VAT. I live in India but don't know why they charged me VAT while online.net didn't charge any VAT. I opened ticket and see if they will refund me VAT. Is there any Non-EU user got charged VAT ? All suggestions are welcome.

How did you still get one of those online servers? Isn't the deal over?

In case the servers are still available via some URL, could you please share it?

edited August 2017

@K4Y5 said: How did you still get one of those online servers? Isn't the deal over?

In case the servers are still available via some URL, could you please share it?

See availability here: http://23.92.54.33/misc/www.online.net-specials.html
    Order links here: http://fnfagency.fr/www.online.net-specials.html

Thanked by 1K4Y5
  • sammsamm Member

K4Y5 said: How did you still get one of those online servers? Isn't the deal over?

MasonR already gave you link. Also getting these servers are not piece of cake, you have to waste your time on that page link and keep refreshing and get it as soon as possible. You should check Online summer deal thread and read posts that will help you.

• sammsamm Member

Neoon said: Atom C2750 has 3.8k bench vs Atom D425 has something like 400.

We are taking here about kimsufi Atom D425 V/s Atom N2800. How are they?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@samm said:

Neoon said: Atom C2750 has 3.8k bench vs Atom D425 has something like 400.

We are taking here about kimsufi Atom D425 V/s Atom N2800. How are they?

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+D425+@+1.80GHz

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+N2800+@+1.86GHz

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+C2750+@+2.40GHz

• sammsamm Member

Thank you for these links. Seems I got very bad Kimsufi cpu.

@samm said:
    Thank you for these links. Seems I got very bad Kimsufi cpu.

I mean.... you got what was advertised. So if you didn't do your research beforehand, then that's on you.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • sammsamm Member

yes, agreed, not their fault but I was expecting N2800.

• IMO the best option would be getting hdd variant of online server. More space, faster cpu, theoretically faster network. There is a catch with network though, they do not like when you actually use full gigabit on this offers. I was transferring ~500gb disk image at ~600mbit and it was enough for them to warn me that i should throttle large/fast transfers. They were nice enough to allow me to continue when i explained that it is one-time transfer required to setup server, but in case of seedbox it may cause issues...

• sammsamm Member

could you point me a guide how do I proceed now? This is my first dedi server and I know nothing about it. For OS I prefer ubunto and for seedbox only minimal things like rutorrent, deluge, filezilla and auto download torrent, no plex or any bunch of heavy stuffs.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited August 2017

@samm said:
    could you point me a guide how do I proceed now? This is my first dedi server and I know nothing about it. For OS I prefer ubunto and for seedbox only minimal things like rutorrent, deluge, filezilla and auto download torrent, no plex or any bunch of heavy stuffs.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+set+up+a+seedbox

The first result is a reddit thread with the link - https://jes.sc/kb/rTorrent-ruTorrent-Seedbox-Guide.php